Can anyone explain this

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=1105

There's all the things we went through to locate the problem with my Insteon.

I've narrowed it down to the computer. It may be the old dail up modem that I haven't pulled out of it (I only have a phone modem because I live out in the country and for the past year we've enjoyed satellite internet, I'm not cheap hahaha)

Here's the thing. When I have the computer on stand by, everything works fine. If I shut it off entirely, strange things happen. KPLs leds flash and scenes don't fire properly, bathroom lights are on in the morning when they were shut off at night.

Is there anyone out there who can tell me what the difference is between shutting off the computer and just putting it on standby AS FAR AS THE INSTEON GOES.

Again, I can only suspect it may be the modem as it gave me phone issues before the sat. internet. I have to physically remove it from the computer to see if I can isolate if it's the culprit or not.

Drew

I have a computer that causes Insteon problems even when it's off. (The power supply has to draw current even in the off state so that it can drive the circuit that monitors the power on button.) This is the same computer that caused the problems that have been chronicled in http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=1188. The types of problems observed when the computer is off are different from those observed when the computer is on. What this suggests to me is that the noise spectrum emitted by the computer's power supply changes when the load seen by the power suppply changes. I suspect this may be the case with your situation as well.

A more specific explanation "AS FAR AS THE INSTEON GOES" would be speculative at best.

Why would you suspect the modem? Your problems occur when the computer is off and the modem isn't being powered. Is there any signal path between the modem and your Insteon devices?

Remove it? I take it is an internal PC Card and not an external one with a power brick.

It does sound like some sort of noise. Can you disconnect the AC power from the computer and the phone cable from the cards jack. Then see if things change. I have seen computer supplies make all kinds of noise that make X10 and Insteon do strange things.

Is the satalite interfaced to you system through a network interface and is the interface [router] also on you ISY Interface?

Why would you suspect the modem?

I only suspect it could be the modem as I had phoneline noise with it when I had to use it for internet.

I also think that my PVR makes interference when it's recording only (playback seems fine) I have to find two minutes to record a show, press a few KPLS, see if they fail, then, if so, put a filterlinc on it and do the same to see if the result is different.

Maybe it's the hard drives in the computer spinning or something like that (again, I'm only mentioning that because of the HD in the PVR)

Anyone else have HD releated INSTEON issues?

Drew

Why would you suspect the modem?

I also think that my PVR makes interference when it's recording only (playback seems fine) I have to find two minutes to record a show, press a few KPLS, see if they fail, then, if so, put a filterlinc on it and do the same to see if the result is different.

Maybe it's the hard drives in the computer spinning or something like that (again, I'm only mentioning that because of the HD in the PVR)

Drew

But, the HD isn't powered when the PC is off. Why not go for the simplest explanation? Namely, that it is the power supply in your PC.

I put a filterlinc on it but it doesn't seem to matter much.

It also seems to bother the INSTEON when it's off (complete shut down)

When it's in STANDBY, it seems to not affect the KPLS, etc...

Is there a power supply that's better than others, etc.. or is it just trail and error to find one that doesn't cause interference. Is there a brand name I can get?

Drew

I put a filterlinc on it but it doesn't seem to matter much.

It also seems to bother the INSTEON when it's off (complete shut down)

When it's in STANDBY, it seems to not affect the KPLS, etc...

Is there a power supply that's better than others, etc.. or is it just trail and error to find one that doesn't cause interference. Is there a brand name I can get?

Drew

The fact that a filterlinc doesn't help makes me think your problem is like the one I had. I thought I suggested that you take a look at http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=1188 but maybe it fell through the cracks somewhere. As I said, the power supply draws power in the "off" state, just like a lot of electronic stuff these days.

I don't really know but I suspect most PC power supplies are fine. In my case it was a PC that I built 5 years ago. I didn't go for cheap parts but that doesn't always mean you get quality parts. The PC is 5 years old and has been on 24/7 for 3 of those years. I have 4 or 5 other PCs that have been connected and none have caused a problem. This includes one really cheap, slow, and acoustically noisy machine that you'd think would have a chessey power supply.

When in Standby things are better. Maybe you have a good supply that has good input filtering and it is actually absorbing some interfeering noise.

Trial and error. Start unplugging stuff and see if it get better. In other forums we have actully seen things like Cell Phone Chargers and even microprocessor controlled washers; dryers and refrigerators make problems.

Along with surge suppressors that think X10 and Insteon signals are in their noise range.

Okay this is odd.

My programs aren't firing at all. Some scenes that are triggered on the KPLs aren't working no matter how many times I try them. The KPL lights flash everytime I press them.

And I've changed nothing at all.

I know everyone says that and then they go "Oops, right, I changed all the lights downstairs (I'm one of those people)

but I can't find anything different.

the GUI doesn't turn lights on or off either.

I even unplugged the computer from the wall like Rowland suggested and I still have this new comm issue.

When I telnet the ISY it says everything you would expect it to plus it says it's in safe mode (?) and some services are not running.

I'd really like to get this resolved.

Did I miss an update or something?

Drew

Drew,

I believe that the "safe mode" indicates that the ISY cannot communicate with the PLM.

Please try cycling power to the PLM and get back with us.

IM

Okay this is odd.

My programs aren't firing at all. Some scenes that are triggered on the KPLs aren't working no matter how many times I try them. The KPL lights flash everytime I press them.

I know everyone says that and then they go "Oops, right, I changed all the lights downstairs (I'm one of those people)

I even unplugged the computer from the wall like Rowland suggested and I still have this new comm issue.

When I telnet the ISY it says everything you would expect it to plus it says it's in safe mode (?) and some services are not running.

Drew

Drew,

As IndyMike noted, safe mode is in effect if and only if ISY cannot communicate with your PLM. So, the first thing to do is to reboot your PLM. If that does not work, then I suspect you would need another PLM.

With kin

Okay this is odd.

Drew

Hi Michel;

All I needed to do was to power down the PLM and get it up and running again.

I know I shouldn't throw the flags in the air when a hicup occurs. I guess I'm a little gunshy when it comes to comm errors.

I'll be more patient in the future.

Every problem is a learning experience. I'll get there.

Drew

Archived