X10 signals through Insteon Network issue

If I have an ISY program that sends an X10 command, is it transmitted through the Insteon net or is it still stuck in the power line the whole way from my PLM to the device I'm trying to control? Or do I still need the phase coupler that I had with my old X10?? I have several Dual Band devices and hoped that this would solve my issue.

I still have a few old X10 modules that I'd like to control, but my ISY programs are very inconsistent on whether they actually turn on or off. Sometimes they go, other times they ignore it completely. Any help will be very appreciated.

Thanks.

Dual Band and even power line only Insteon modules only resend Insteon signals. They do not repeat X10 ones.

Access Points only sent Insteon signals to other Dual Band Modules and not X10.

Insteon modules have power line transmitters in them. Not normally found in X10 modules. That transmitter can absorb some of the signals. Not uncommon to find adding more Insteon modules improves their communications while degrading X10 signals.

You very well could have signal coupling issues. Along with Signal Suckers and power line noise makers.

Here is some X10 troubleshooting information.

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm

I am running X10 Primary Addresses in my Insteon modules. Also some X10 Chime Modules, transceivers and remotes. I also have a JV Engineering XTB-IIR that blasts a >10 volt X10 signal on both phases and respects Insteon. Something many other repeater couplers do not.

Just to add to Brian's already accurate post...

You absolutely do need to keep your X10 phase coupler. This should not interfere with Insteon communications.

Or do I still need the phase coupler that I had with my old X10?? I have several Dual Band devices and hoped that this would solve my issue.

BrianH: Thanks for the info. Appreciate the JVDE site. Great information. Will keep digging in there.

IndyMike: Phase coupler solved many problems before and I'll keep it as long as I have X10.

I was under the incorrect assumption that the ISY was able to send X10 signals and that they were able to bounce around via the Insteon system. That really clears up my issues!

Thanks.

All the ISY controllers can send X10 power line commands. The Insteon modules just don't resend the commands. So the X10 power line signal from the PLM. Has to go all the way to the module being controlled. Over the power lines.

Archived