Best Practices

sideslope

Hi all,

I just bought and set up my ISY994i. It's pretty cool but because I'm putting in lots of devices, the scene section is getting crowded. I want to know from those of you out there, do you only do scenes for major functions and then program your Insteon devices directly?

For example:

I have a 3-way hallway light. I have to create two scenes, one for the close switch to turn the lights on and off, and to control the other switch so it is on or off accordingly. Then I have to do a new scene for the far switch, so that it controls the close switch and they stay in sync (both off or both on when the light is off or on).

So my question from above, should I just program the two switches directly (outside of ISY) to be a responder and controller for each function. Then use the ISY for say a coming home Scene where that light can come on along with the living room, etc..?

I was hoping to use the ISY for everything, but it's getting cluttered with scenes, and unfortunately you can't customize the GUI to only have a page of your main stuff.

Thanks for any help!

First, use Scenes where possible.

Second, only one ISY Scene is needed to accomplish the cross-linking. Add both devices as Controllers to the same ISY Scene. The ISY assumes a Controller is also a Responder and will cross-link the devices based on that one ISY Scene.

All scenes should be created via ISY. Don't create any separately.

Use scenes when possible. Programs when necessary. Then use more scenes. Use global scenes (all lights....all interior lights....all exterior lights...etc...) Scenes are good. Using scenes makes it easier to add new devices.

Use folders for devices. I organize them by room. Sometimes by season.

Organize programs using folder. I have seasonal programs folder. I have folders for programs unique to remote control (smartphone, tablet). Reuse parts of programs where possible. You do not need more than one program to turn all your lights off....rather, call program paths (then or else) from other programs rather than duplicating code.

Device naming convention can be useful.

I find scenes to have a couple of benefits over programs. First, response is quicker. A device responding to a scene command from another device generally reacts faster than a device responding to a program which was triggered by another device.

Second, I find the growth path easier to manage with scenes. As my number of devices grows (incrementally for me), I find that I don't have to worry much about how this affects my programs. All I have to worry about is putting the device into the correct scenes. I find it easier and managing scene construct than programming. This benefit, however, may be dependent on the kinds of things one does with programs.

To elaborate on the second point, I have an ALL HOUSE INTERIOR scene. Any new device that I add to the inside of my house goes here. The various programs that control when my house goes to sleep will work properly without any changes. I have a HOLIDAY scene. Any new devices that are for holiday decorations go into this scene. I have a couple of programs that call on this holiday scene. Making one change to a single scene is easier, for me, than making changes to multiple programs.

I simply find this the easier way to manage my growing insteon system.

Why would this matter ? It's been a while but I had insteon devices before I had my ISY and when I installed that, it discovered existing scenes...

You are correct...It would not matter. I was responding to the original suggestions that one could create some scenes manually, and create other scenes via the ISY.

A more accurate statement would be that the ISY should be aware of all links and scenes, however created originally. Having links outside the ISY is more difficult to manage, in my mind.

I find scenes to have a couple of benefits over programs. First, response is quicker. A device responding to a scene command from another device generally reacts faster than a device responding to a program which was triggered by another device.

Second, I find the growth path easier to manage with scenes. As my number of devices grows (incrementally for me), I find that I don't have to worry much about how this affects my programs. All I have to worry about is putting the device into the correct scenes. I find it easier and managing scene construct than programming. This benefit, however, may be dependent on the kinds of things one does with programs.

To elaborate on the second point, I have an ALL HOUSE INTERIOR scene. Any new device that I add to the inside of my house goes here. The various programs that control when my house goes to sleep will work properly without any changes. I have a HOLIDAY scene. Any new devices that are for holiday decorations go into this scene. I have a couple of programs that call on this holiday scene. Making one change to a single scene is easier, for me, than making changes to multiple programs.

I simply find this the easier way to manage my growing insteon system.

To add another advantage. A scene is one Insteon command sent over the power line no matter how many devices, a program controlling individual devices is one command for every device. As you get more devices, the transmission success rate will suffer.

Archived