Anyone have issues with 2466SW?

cremion

First, I'd like to say I'm a n00b on this product but I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I'd like to apologize in advance for my questions.

I'm trying to "discover" a few 2466SW modules I just installed in my house. I have an ISY994i (with a 2413S) installed about 20 ft away that I'm looking to "see" the devices on. Is this possible? Am I missing a module? I've gotta be missing something simple...

Side note- I know the controller/PLM works...I have an IOLinc device (garage door opener kit) that works flawlessly that's installed farther away.

Thanks in advance!

First, I'd like to say I'm a n00b on this product but I'm trying to learn as much as I can so I'd like to apologize in advance for my questions.

I'm trying to "discover" a few 2466SW modules I just installed in my house. I have an ISY994i (with a 2413S) installed about 20 ft away that I'm looking to "see" the devices on. Is this possible? Am I missing a module? I've gotta be missing something simple...

Side note- I know the controller/PLM works...I have an IOLinc device (garage door opener kit) that works flawlessly that's installed farther away.

Thanks in advance!

What have you used to bridge / couple the two sides of the electrical feeds in your home?

Teken . . .

I haven't as yet.

However, I was just reading about something like that. Is that what the SignaLinc Phase Coupler is for? Or what product would I need to accomplish this bridge?

Thanks!

Yes this product will bridge / couple both sides of the electrical feed. http://www.smarthome.com/2443/Access-Po ... and/p.aspx Please ensure you follow the 4 tap test, and that it confirms proper coupling. You may also consider purchasing a few Filterlincs: http://www.smarthome.com/1626-10/Filter ... ter/p.aspx To insure any noise makers, signal suckers do not interfere with your Insteon network.

Common things that cause issues are computers, UPS, cell chargers, laptop transformers, etc.

Teken . . .

Hmm, I didn't think it was a distance / interference thing. Being on the wrong phase makes better sense. Just so I understand the need for the Insteon 2443 Access-point device for RF-only-

-Is the ISY994i strictly an RF device / powerline device (I'd think both but only on 1 phase but unsure)?

-Is the 2466SW strictly an RF device / powerline device (I'd think the latter but unsure)?

Again, sorry for the n00bish questions- I'm trying to understand the architecture a little better here.

Actually, one test I have not conducted is to put them on the same phase (and say right next to each other) to see if the ToggleLincs will recognize on the ISY994i. I'll try this test this evening and post results at that time.

Thanks!

Hmm, I didn't think it was a distance / interference thing. Being on the wrong phase makes better sense. Just so I understand the need for the Insteon 2443 Access-point device for RF-only-

-Is the ISY994i strictly an RF device / powerline device (I'd think both but only on 1 phase but unsure)?

Depends on your PLM. If you have a 2413S, then its both RF and Power Line. If an older 2412S then its Power Line Only. Chances are you have the 2413S as this is a new installation.

-Is the 2466SW strictly an RF device / powerline device (I'd think the latter but unsure)?

The 2466SW is a non dual band power line only dimmer. If on the opposite phase from your PLM, it won't communicate reliably without a phase bridge.

Again, sorry for the n00bish questions- I'm trying to understand the architecture a little better here.

No problem. Thats why we are here.

Actually, one test I have not conducted is to put them on the same phase (and say right next to each other) to see if the ToggleLincs will recognize on the ISY994i. I'll try this test this evening and post results at that time.

That test will at least prove that the ISY/PLM and Toggleinc are functional.

A pair of Insteon Access Points (2443) http://www.smarthome.com/2443/Access-Point-INSTEON-Wireless-Phase-Coupler-Dual-Band/p.aspx with one installed on each phase and within reliable RF range of each other is HIGHLY recommended.

Thanks!

No problem. Happy to help.

-Xathros

I do have a 2413S (so it's both an RF and powerline device).

Actually, the 2466SW is not a dimmer; it's strictly an on/off (nondimming) switch. But it being a powerline only device makes sense.

I wanted to atleast perform the functional test as a smoke test to make sure the devices will atleast talk to each other before I move on to to the next step (of purchasing/setting up the bridge).

Both of you suggested the Insteon Access Point (2443) and it's clear to me why it would be necessary to have a pair of those on the mesh network- thanks!

Would a phase coupler (2406H) not do this same task of creating a bridge across phases?

Thanks!

The passive phase coupler will bridge the phases but has a few drawbacks.

1) It is power line only so you get no RF bridging with this solution.

2) It is passive. It passes signals to the other phase at what ever level they are received.

Access points will provide RF coverage for wireless only devices and will actively retransmit signals to the opposite phase at full strength. Access points can also be easily relocated to change the RF coverage area if necessary.

-Xathros

Archived