Does Mobil-UN-Link Do Anything?

sanders2222

What is MobiLink? I guess I'll never know. I installed MobiLink Lite on my android phone (I was trying to sell this option to an iphone owner for home control). But the 'trial version' expired before I could get around to 1) buying the module for my ISY, then 2) go back and find the "uuid' number on my ISY. I never have needed that before and I had no idea the app had a trial period.

BTW: The 'Lite' app I installed on my friends iPhone did not need the uuid number. But the app only allowed control for one light in the Dining room. How the app happened to pick that switch out of 60+ devices in the home is interesting, but useless.

So, I don't know what MobiLink can do (nor does my iphone friend) and doubt very much that it's worth the $20 or whatever for the Pro version, since the Lite version does NOTHING! I have to recommend a thumbs down for this app. Especially since there are several free phone apps that allow full control and manage tasks on my ISY, from anywhere.

So if I follow, you installed it, didn't get a chance to try it and therefore now declare it does nothing. (rolling eyes)

FYI Its a good app, and you only need the ISY module if you don't want to directly open ports on your router to connect in directly But, lets not let facts get in the way of a good rant!

Bill

sanders2222-

I'll chime in here and add my support for ML as well. I love the App. I have been using it since it's early versions and have had some input as to how some of the features work as it has evolved. You don't need ML Connect but if you do elect to use that service, there are some additional features that you get with it. Support from the ML developers is on par with UDI's support of the ISY. ML and UDI work closely together so most issues seem to get resolved quickly. The iOS version is more mature than the Android version but both are quite capable and if you add Tasker to Mobilinc on Android there are some pretty cool things you can accomplish.

I suspect that if you were to post in the Mobilinc portion of this forum, Wes might reset the trial period for you so that you can properly test before you buy.

-Xathros

You don't need ML Connect
Thanks Xathros, your post was helpful. Sorry for the rant. And $20 is not expensive if ML really provides an improved interface over other options available. However, when I added the app to my android, I only had one option to connect to my ISY. I did not see where I could add the direct address for access. But for a buck, the module from U-D was a fair option to test the app. I didn't know there was a very short trial period and that the clock was ticking.

When I added the app to a friends iPhone, I was able to add the web address, login and then open the app. However, only the dining room light was available (no other devices were listed or shown). Neither my friend or myself was very impressed with what we saw. If this app is truly user friendly, I'm not sure why I was having these issues. But then again, I don't speak Apple very well. Give me a main frame and I can work with that!

I suspect that if you were to post in the Mobilinc portion of this forum, Wes might reset the trial period for you so that you can properly test before you buy.
I thought I was posting to the ML tread under 'Third Party Products'. Getting a chance to see what the app can do was all I was looking for. I've uninstalled the app from my phone, but suspect the app left some sort of footprint that will prevent me from any re-trial. If that period can be reset, I could give it another go.

I purchased MobiLinc for my wife's Android phone after using the trial version. My wife loves the app.

After installing the app and starting it, at the screen that speaks about MobilConnect there is a drop down arrow. Clicking that arrow takes you to the screen to manually enter your information (IP address and port numbers). After entering this basic information MobiLinc will search for the ISY.

All of my Insteon devices were available for the trial period.

I had some trouble after installing the pro version synching to the ISY, and Wes was a great help in getting it worked out.

This app is well worth the money. I hope they add Elk and Z Wave support real soon.

Dennis

FYI: The trial/lite versions of Mobilinc for iOS & android work differently from each other. In android the lite version will give you full functionality with all devices but with a time limit of a day or two, after which the app will stop working. In the iOS lite version there is no time limit for the app, but only one device will work.

These trial version limitations was clearly explained in both of their respective app stores the last time I checked, which was actually a long time ago since I have been using the paid version of mobilinc for a long time and love it. It was $20 well spent.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Hi sanders2222,

My apologies for a delayed response to you on the forums. Please email me at support@mobilinc.com and I'll be happy to get you the info you need to reset your lite trial for another 5 days.

Some additional comments:

- The Lite versions operate differently because Apple does not allow apps to expire which is why we opted to limit functionality on the iOS side to 2 devices and 2 scenes. It will pick the top two alphabetically organized devices and scenes to display. Instructions for testing other devices/scenes is provided in the app.

- The Lite version on Android will allow you to directly connect to your ISY with just an IP:Port. Select "No Thanks" on the MobiLinc Connect sign-up screen.

- MobiLinc Connect is optional, but makes connecting to your ISY in and out of your home dead easy. No networking required for external access. It just works. On iOS you'll also gain access to PUSH notifications for real-time notification on any devices, program, variable, or security state you are interested in monitoring. We're looking into how we can support this PUSH concept on Android with GCM. http://mobilinc.com/features/mobilincconnect/

As Xathros pointed out, Tasker support with MobiLinc/Android is a very powerful combination that our Android users are VERY enthusiastic about.

On the iOS side our iOS users are really excited about geo-fencing support (Android users can do geo-fencing with Tasker/MobiLinc) and all the automatic scenarios that they can come up with: http://mobilinc.com/features/geofence/

Please contact us at support@mobilinc.com if you have any other questions for us.

Wes

Archived