ISY causing ELK to hang

ahuefner

A month ago, I took a lightning hit which took out all my garage door openers, my Generac generator, and my automation system which includes and ELK M1G, ISY 994i, and an insteon lighting network. Before the thunder snow, I ran this configuration for a year without issues. Now, my ELK works fine when not connected to the ISY, but the ELK locks up a few hours after being connected to the ISY. I have all my rules program in the ELK which lets me mix any of the 64 security zone sensors with the insteon lighting controls. I am using the ISY as a bridge to connect the Insteon network to the ELK. The ELk also support my fire alarm system and security system.

Since the lightning hit, the following has been done.

1. Elk controller and ELK network card replaced twice with same result

2. Elk zone expander cards and ELK relay board replaced.

3. ISY replaced twice

4. Insteon Modem replaced

5. The software is the latest and same versions before and aft in all ELK and ISY modules.

6. The configs on both the ISY and ELK were restored from current backups/databases.

7. The insteon traffic showing in the ISY events log looks normal and all insteon devices work under ISY control.

8. I am running fixed IPs on both the ELK network card and ISY.

9. I have tried non-secure and secure ports with the same result.

10. Again, the ELK runs fine and controls security and fire alarm systems until it is connected to the ISY.

11. A resistance check of the ELK data bus reads 61 ohms which is normal.

12. The key pad diagnostic indicates the ELK had a load of .3amps which is well below it rated max current capacity.

13. The power supply voltages to the ELK and ISY show the correct values on a meter. I discovered that I had plugged the ELK AC transformer into one of the backup power receptacles(modified sine wave output). I moved it to a surge protected only output and retested with the same ELK hang result

Once the ISY is connected to the ELK, the ELK controls the insteon devices correctly for a few hours until it hangs. Likewise during this time, the M1 virtual keypad controls the insteon devices correctly.

ELKRP also accesses the ELK until the ELK hangs and becomes unavailable.

I ran the ELK with all data bus devices disconnected including the two keypads, and the two 16 zone expander cards and it still fails when the ISY is connected.

2/18/2014 - I wanted to add an update. Thanks to joint help from both the ISY and ELK folks, my problem is finally resolved. The issue turned out to be an invalid ELK program rule that was trying to send a command to a motion detector after it triggered. Whenever the ISY sent a motion detector OFF message to the ELK, the ELK program rule would then trigger and turn off a light but also had an invalid rule that was trying to send an off command to that same motion detector. In my case, the insteon motion detector was strapped to only transmit between dusk and dawn. As long as the rule was not triggered, the ELK ran fine which is why the ELK ran fine until the ISY was connected. Again, hats off to the joint co-operation between ISY and ELK. These days, such support is hard to come by.

The lightning surge blew out the control board in the generator. The replacement board cost over $700 plus travel and labor to resolve the issue.

The service guy was a master electrician and suggested that the generator needed its own earth ground rod which because it was less then 10 ft from the service panel, local code did not require. I will add a ground rod as soon as the snow and frost goes away.

The failure symptom was that the generator would start but immediately shut down and indicate an overvoltage condition. A check of the voltage on the built in volt meter indicated a voltage reading of 330v had occurred. The surge apparently took out the regulator on the circuit board. Once the new board was in place, the generator functioned normally and the voltage read 235 volts on the internal volt meter.

The generator was not running when the surge took place. The generator is a Guardian Series 14KW.

The lightning surge blew out the control board in the generator. The replacement board cost over $700 plus travel and labor to resolve the issue.

The service guy was a master electrician and suggested that the generator needed it own earth ground rod which because it was less then 10 ft from the service panel, local code did not require. I will add a ground rod as soon as the snow and frost goes away.

The failure symptom was that the generator would start but immediately shut down and indicate an overvoltage condition. A check of the voltage on the built in volt meter indicated a voltage reading of 330v had occurred. The surge apparently took out the regulator on the circuit board. Once the new board was in place, the generator functioned normally and the voltage read 235 volt on the internal volt meter.

The generator was not running when the surge took place. The generator is a Guardian Series 14KW.

If the Master Electrician indicates this won't introduce a ground loop. This would be beneficial for sure. I would however install a surge protector on the system to guard against future electrical events.

I gather from your initial reply this is something you decided to eat in terms of costs instead of pursuing an insurance claim?

Teken . . .

Archived