Keypad Linc Buttons - Toggle Mode

sfhutchi

I have a button on a KPL that is setup as 'Non-Toggle (On)'. The button itself was setup so that the light was off when I set it up. So whenever I press the button, it stays 'off', but initiates an 'On' to a linked scene.

However, if I initiate this scene from the ISY or Mobilinc, the button toggles to 'on' (lights up). Since the KPL is setup so that this is a non-toggle button, it stays on unless I go back to the ISY to initiate the scene manually.

Is this a bug, a feature, or I am doing something wrong?

Steve

"The button itself was setup so that the light was off when I set it up."

I have not heard of a button in non-toggle On mode do anything but blink twice and stay On after being pressed. That is how a non-toggle On button is identified versus the button blinking twice and turning Off in non-toggle Off mode.

"it stays on unless I go back to the ISY to initiate the scene manually. "

What is being done here that is different from

"if I initiate this scene from the ISY or Mobilinc, the button toggles to 'on' (lights up)"

What is the KPL firmware?

Are there any Programs that might turn the KPL button Off?

"The button itself was setup so that the light was off when I set it up."

I have not heard of a button in non-toggle On mode do anything but blink twice and stay On after being pressed. That is how a non-toggle On button is identified versus the button blinking twice and turning Off in non-toggle Off mode.

Before I put a button in 'non-toggle' mode, I can toggle it on or off. Once the button is 'off', I change it to a 'non-toggle'. As you say, when I press the button, it blinks twice, initiates the scene, and then returns to 'off'

"it stays on unless I go back to the ISY to initiate the scene manually. "

What is being done here that is different from

"if I initiate this scene from the ISY or Mobilinc, the button toggles to 'on' (lights up)"

If I initiate the scene from the ISY, the only difference is that the button on the KPL toggles from 'off' to 'on'. Since the button on the KPL is set as a non-toggle, any subsequent presses at the KPL leave the button 'on'.

What is the KPL firmware?

Are there any Programs that might turn the KPL button Off?

I will have to check the firmware, but it is a brand new KPL so it should be recent. I haven't tested this scenario with an older KPL yet.

About a program that will turn the button off. I can create a scene with the button in it and manually trigger a program to do it... but I would like to avoid that if possible.

Do not know if that is a defective KPL or a change in how non-toggle works. The User Guide does not indicate a change in the way non-toggle ON works but that does not necessarily mean the button LED turning Off is not a new function. The fact that it blinks twice and stays On after the button is turned On with a Scene suggests it is a bug in the KPL but that is also not an absolute. I suggest a call to the Smarthome tech support line and see if they have information that did not reach the User Guide.

Most of the time a button LED is Off when the button mode is changed and it has always turned On after the two blinks in non-toggle On mode.

LeeG-

My newest V43 KPLD behaves as the older KPLs behave in Non-Toggle On and Off modes. Unfortunately, the setup on my one and only V43 was done using "Replace with" after an older KPL died so I did not follow the OP's procedure for setting the Non-Toggle button modes. My gut says there is more to the story above and the KPL button may be in Non-Toggle Off rather than On mode.

-Xathros

Do not know if that is a defective KPL or a change in how non-toggle works. The User Guide does not indicate a change in the way non-toggle ON works but that does not necessarily mean the button LED turning Off is not a new function. The fact that it blinks twice and stays On after the button is turned On with a Scene suggests it is a bug in the KPL but that is also not an absolute. I suggest a call to the Smarthome tech support line and see if they have information that did not reach the User Guide.

Most of the time a button LED is Off when the button mode is changed and it has always turned On after the two blinks in non-toggle On mode.

I probably did a bad job explaining myself. The button is an 'Evening Scene' that sets multiple lights to different levels. I set the button to a non-toggle(on) so that no matter what state things are... it always sends a Evening Scene On command. The specific button on the keypad was turned 'off' first before I changed it to non-toggle mode. If I only use the KPL button to initiate the scene, the button flashes twice when I send the scene on command... and it then returns to its Off state (button is very dim). Things only get out of sync when I go to the ISY and initiate the scene. In addition to sending an Evening scene 'On' command, it also turns that KPL button 'on' (bright).

LeeG-

My newest V43 KPLD behaves as the older KPLs behave in Non-Toggle On and Off modes. Unfortunately, the setup on my one and only V43 was done using "Replace with" after an older KPL died so I did not follow the OP's procedure for setting the Non-Toggle button modes. My gut says there is more to the story above and the KPL button may be in Non-Toggle Off rather than On mode.

-Xathros

I believe that it is in a 'non-toggle on' mode because it does correctly turn the scene on from the switch.

The scene must be setting the button Off when the KPL is the scene controller.

I would look at the scene definition in the ISY and check the on level for the KPL button LED for the scene with the ISY as controller and the KPL as controller. I suspect you will find the On Level with the KPL as controller (KPL button selected on left) is set to 0 and with the ISY as controller (scene name selected on left) is set to 100.

I don't believe it makes a difference what state the button is in when you set the toggle mode.

-Xathros

The scene must be setting the button Off when the KPL is the scene controller.

I would look at the scene definition in the ISY and check the on level for the KPL button LED for the scene with the ISY as controller and the KPL as controller. I suspect you will find the On Level with the KPL as controller (KPL button selected on left) is set to 0 and with the ISY as controller (scene name selected on left) is set to 100.

I don't believe it makes a difference what state the button is in when you set the toggle mode.

-Xathros

That was it. Thanks! I rebuilt all these scenes after an upgrade, and I completely glossed over setting the state of controller within the scene.

Archived