My ZS upgrade experience

MexicanRadio

First, thanks where they are due: Steve Lee and Michel Kohanim were very helpful in getting me pointed in the right direction, and answering a few questions for me after I installed. SCE's folks were also helpful. Universal Devices shipping was fast! I'm not far from them, and had my order the very next day.

So:

Before I ordered, I talked with the folks at SCE about meter compatibility. I started with the SCE FAQ linked in bruilax's message, here:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=11202

SCE's FAQs lead me to this PDF:

https://www.sce.com/wps/wcm/connect/fa451d4f-f819-4bf7-93e1-a52a7de952e2/HAN_Device_%2BRegistration_Guide.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Which walks through what you have to do. It also included this contact information, which was useful: "If you have any questions or would like more information, please email http://hanquestions@sce.com or call 1-888-218-4294." The only real questions I had were what length EUID is required, as the ISY supports 12, 16, 24 and 32 byte EUIDs, and was my meter both capable and ready? The answer is that SCE want a 16 byte EUID and the meter was good to go. By the way, SCE considers the ISY to be a "Gateway". SCE's folks on the line at the listed telephone number proved to be both knowledgeable and friendly.

Based on my conversations with Universal Devices and with SCE, I was confident in ordering the High Powered Zigbee Smart Grid (SEP1.1) Radio as an upgrade to my existing ISY-994i. After it arrived, the physical installation was simple (at least for an old Navy radio electronics tech like me):

1. Back up my ISY configuration

2. Uncable the ISY

3. Remove the four screws to open the ISY's case

4. Remove the circuit board

5. Remove the small (for the LED) and larger (for the antenna) circular knockouts on the ISY's case

6. Mount the antenna connector to the case

7. Carefully plug the Radio into the header on the ISY's circuit board

8. Even more carefully attach the antenna lead to the tiny connector on the Radio

9. Reassemble everything

10. Mount the Antenna on the new socket

11. Recable the ISY

At this point I checked that the ISY was functioning correctly, and started the download of the correct (different!) firmware, dashboard and admin programs. See the Beta listings for details. I installed the firmware as normal (install, allow the ISY to reboot, clear Java cache while waiting for the reboot). I access my ISY via a Linux (Fedora 19, KDE, IcedTea (Java)) workstation, and it's been working just fine communicating with the ISY. However, although everything else seemed to be working, I couldn't see the Radio nor the My Electricity section.

A quick email to UDI and sending my ISY's UUID resulted in the right additional software being set up for me to add as a module. Another reboot and the My Electricity section was live.

I generated the EUID and Install Codes as per UDI's instructions, then filled out the form on my account at SCE's website. Took a break, figuring things would take a while, and since SCE states that it can take up to 24 hours to provision everything, I probably wouldn't see results before the next day. I had left the Dashboard program on-screen, and when I came back to my desk only 30 minutes later, the Dashboard was showing that the meter was live and relaying data. This morning, I signed up for the "Save Power Day Incentive Plus Program" via SCE.

I'm hoping to get some savings from this, and there should be an automatic $25 rebate just for registering my ISY. Apparently there's a possible $25 additional for having an Insteon thermostat. I'll also be looking into setting up ADR, which SCE is supposed to be supporting. I'll update as I get more familiarity with the whole system and learn what else to do.

If anyone also on SCE has tips to share, I'd appreciate hearing them. If you've got questions for me, please ask.

• 1 month later...

Scott

Thanks for the post. I got the ZS model in anticipation of a similar program in my area in the near future. You're documenting the setup procedure is helpful on top of the Zs upgrade.  It would be good to discuss how the information it gives can help quantify either applying automation, or simply changing behaviors to better use off peak rates.

One thing I can automate is my basement humidifier. It uses ~300watts and can be put on an appliance link that is only on during off peak windows.

Other functions involving family behavior are going to be tougher to move, like laundry and diswashing. Both are big power activities that would be great to move to off peak. Those discussions have happened and there is a little bit of negative WAF factor there in suggesting when things happen. The ZS will offer quantifiable measurements on the value of setting the start timer on the dishwasher or doing laundry later or on the weekend.

It would be good to continue to hear stories of your power saving "use cases" and how your Zs works for you.

Regards
Paul

Archived