Boot Sequence of PLM / ISY after Power Outage

NeilP

Hi nadler-

Sounds to me like you are using "Enable Internet Access" from the ISY menu.  If so, this relies on the router's UPnP capabilities to automagically set up the port forward fo the ISY.  This can't happen if the router is unavailable when the ISY attempts to make this happen.  What I would recommend is setting the ISY with a static IP address outside of the router's DHCP pool and manually creating the port forward to point to that static address in the router.  Then disable Internet access in the ISY menu.  That should get you up and going without having to worry about the startup sequence.  It will just work after the router has booted.

Either your ELK is statically defined and port forwarded or it continues to try the UPnP setup for longer. I suspect the former.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

Also, you can reserve the MAC address to the ISY in the router. The benefit in doing so will allow any network changes in the modem / router to propagate to the ISY controller.

Encrypted By: Phoenix Security Solutions

Thanks Xathros.I think disabling internet access on the isy did the trick.  Kind of counter intuitive to me.

Teken my router reserves the ip address by using the MAC address.  Is there another setting I should look for or is that what you meant?

Thanks again.

Noel

Thanks Xathros.I think disabling internet access on the isy did the trick.  Kind of counter intuitive to me.

Teken my router reserves the ip address by using the MAC address.  Is there another setting I should look for or is that what you meant?

Thanks again.

Noel

Hello Noel,

If you have already reserved the MAC address with in the router for the ISY-994 Controller. That is all you need to do and will serve you well in the future should there be any ISP / Modem changes.

Hi nadler-

Sounds to me like you are using "Enable Internet Access" from the ISY menu.  If so, this relies on the router's UPnP capabilities to automagically set up the port forward fo the ISY.  This can't happen if the router is unavailable when the ISY attempts to make this happen.  What I would recommend is setting the ISY with a static IP address outside of the router's DHCP pool and manually creating the port forward to point to that static address in the router.  Then disable Internet access in the ISY menu.  That should get you up and going without having to worry about the startup sequence.  It will just work after the router has booted.

Either your ELK is statically defined and port forwarded or it continues to try the UPnP setup for longer. I suspect the former.

Hope this helps.

-Xathros

This is an interesting sidebar. I wonder if this possibly contributed to my original problem. I have always used IP address reservation based on MAC ID in my router but I also had selected "enable internet access" under File. (I agree with Nadler, it seems counter-intuitive to de-select this option) I also noticed that in the Configuration tab under Network Settings that Automatic (DHCP) was selected, not UPnP.  Seems that a bit more documentation should be provided on this point.

Neil

Enable/Disable internet access has only to do with automatic port forwarding using UPnP.  DHCP address reservation vs DHCP vs Static addressing is unrelated to the Enable/Disable setting.  It should work either way but due to the timing and boot sequences, some routers may have issues uless you have configured a fixed address for the ISY.

I personally have configured a static address in the ISY and manually port forwarded.  This has been a VERY reliable configuration for me.  It does mean that if my network subnet changes due to an ISP or router change, I might have trouble accessing my ISY.  Not an issue for me as if I were to change my router, I would simply configure the new one to use the same subnet and IP pools.  I have probably 30 devices on my network with static addresses.  Only mobile devices and guests get DHCP addresses on my network.  This way all of my devices can communicate using IP addresses rather than names.  No uplink or DNS required.  The only time I use MAC reservation in my router is for devices that don't allow me to set a static address in their own UIs.

-Xathros

Enable/Disable internet access has only to do with automatic port forwarding using UPnP.  DHCP address reservation vs DHCP vs Static addressing is unrelated to the Enable/Disable setting.  It should work either way but due to the timing and boot sequences, some routers may have issues uless you have configured a fixed address for the ISY.

I personally have configured a static address in the ISY and manually port forwarded.  This has been a VERY reliable configuration for me.  It does mean that if my network subnet changes due to an ISP or router change, I might have trouble accessing my ISY.  Not an issue for me as if I were to change my router, I would simply configure the new one to use the same subnet and IP pools.  I have probably 30 devices on my network with static addresses.  Only mobile devices and guests get DHCP addresses on my network.  This way all of my devices can communicate using IP addresses rather than names.  No uplink or DNS required.  The only time I use MAC reservation in my router is for devices that don't allow me to set a static address in their own UIs.

-Xathros

Xathros......I'm a little confused by your second paragraph. I assume that you are getting your device static IPs from your router, not your ISP. Or am I wrong? Not sure why you say no DNS required unless you are also getting a static IP for your internet line from your ISP.

Neil

Xathros......I'm a little confused by your second paragraph. I assume that you are getting your device static IPs from your router, not your ISP. Or am I wrong? Not sure why you say no DNS required unless you are also getting a static IP for your internet line from your ISP.

Neil

Neil-

In most cases, I log into my devices and manually configure a static address in the devices settings.  This way, it does not depend on my router for DHCP and can communicate with other devices on my LAN in the event the router goes down for whatever reason.  In some cases a device is NOT configurable that way (UBI, Nexia Bridge etc) and I need to do a MAC reservation in the router.  You are correct that I don't get those IP's from my ISP but rather my router.  That comment was considering those whose routers are provided by their ISP's in the form of a Modem with NAT router built in.  The DNS comment was in regard to the fact that I am addressing my devices by IP address rather than name or DDNS name which may have required a DNS lookup.  My goal with this configuration is to make my HA systems as robust as possible by eliminating as many points of failure as possible.  Having the static addressing also makes it easier for me to find these devices on my network when I need to log into a device and make changes.  No moving targets.

Hope this makes sense.

-Xathros

Neil-

In most cases, I log into my devices and manually configure a static address in the devices settings.  This way, it does not depend on my router for DHCP and can communicate with other devices on my LAN in the event the router goes down for whatever reason.  In some cases a device is NOT configurable that way (UBI, Nexia Bridge etc) and I need to do a MAC reservation in the router.  You are correct that I don't get those IP's from my ISP but rather my router.  That comment was considering those whose routers are provided by their ISP's in the form of a Modem with NAT router built in.  The DNS comment was in regard to the fact that I am addressing my devices by IP address rather than name or DDNS name which may have required a DNS lookup.  My goal with this configuration is to make my HA systems as robust as possible by eliminating as many points of failure as possible.  Having the static addressing also makes it easier for me to find these devices on my network when I need to log into a device and make changes.  No moving targets.

Hope this makes sense.

-Xathros

Makes perfect sense now. I had forgotten about folks who get a modem/router from their ISP.

As this thread has shown there is lots to consider when one is trying to manage not only the basic home automation processes but also the ability of the HA network to recover from negative external events such as power failures, etc.

Neil

Interesting I do not have this issue with my ELK-M1XEP.  Although it reboots before the router I can still access it remotely after power restoration.

The router is a netgear R 6300v2.

Thanks.

Noel

I have this problem with my ELK-M1XEP!  I've been out of town for two weeks and there was a power outage last week that caused my router to hang.  I hade my neighbor go over and reboot the router.  All of the network devices came back except for the ELK and a Foscam.  I ordered the web switch for the router and I plan to put the ELK on an appliancelinc.

I have this problem with my ELK-M1XEP!  I've been out of town for two weeks and there was a power outage last week that caused my router to hang.  I hade my neighbor go over and reboot the router.  All of the network devices came back except for the ELK and a Foscam.  I ordered the web switch for the router and I plan to put the ELK on an appliancelinc.

Doesn't the Elk have an internal battery backup?

-Xathros

Archived