Rain Today issue...

jmed999

Looks to me like you are seeing rain in the past 24hrs rather than what WB called Rain Today.

-Xathros

The station I use is a personal station nearby.

ISY shows:

Condition: Rain

Cloud Condition: Partly Cloudy

Rain today: 0 inches

Condition Tomorrow: Drizzle

Rain Tomorrow: 0 inches

Being in SoCal, I could only wish we were getting rain!

How is the condition calculated?  Do I just happen to have the lucky variables that the outcome shows as rain?

If I switch to "KLGB" I no longer get "Condition" so I can't see what it would be.  Switching back to the original station, and now I don't get the "Condition" or "Condition Tomorrow" fields.  Now I'm confused.

The 1st 3 letters of my station is "mid". It still says 0.24 in of rain. It should say 0.01 in. It's adding yesterday's rain for some reason.

Thanks!

It seems my Total Rain Today value is also the sum of yesterday's and today's values.

My ISY is showing Total Rain Today = 1.62 inches.

My PWS reported 1.57" yesterday and 0.05" today.

It seems my Total Rain Today value is also the sum of yesterday's and today's values.

My ISY is showing Total Rain Today = 1.62 inches.

My PWS reported 1.57" yesterday and 0.05" today.

Sounds like I'm not alone.  Thanks for sharing!

I've been seeing similar things with my local airport station (official WBS/NOAA station).  Seem's to be linked to the HAM "rain in the past 6 hours" which can roll into the next day. 

The following is a comparison of Weather Underground reports VS HAM (ISY).  The second and third tables are HAM reports from 7-14 and 7-15.

The discrepancy between Weatherunderground and HAM seems to be due to a HAM rollover of 0.46" from the previous day.  No explanation for the discrepancy on 7-14

post-135-0-40769700-1405551336_thumb.png

post-135-0-32732600-1405552771_thumb.png

post-135-0-55238600-1405552786_thumb.png

The irrigation module really needs the ability to talk to a very local rain sensor to calculate ET. Even a half mile makes a massive difference!

I'm having a new house built, and I'm currently living in a apartment less that a mile away. I had a cheap rain sensor at each location, same brand, for the last couple of weeks. One registers .78" and the other registers .09" over the same week. This is wildly different than what ISY is reporting for my closest station.

I really, really, really want to be able to feed local information in, without having to poll a web service at all.

Please make this possible in 5.x..

Be careful.....a rain sensor will not help you calculate ET.  ET comes from other data from the weather station.  A rain sensor will however give you "Total Rain Today" which subtracted from the ET will give you "Yesterdays Water Deficit".  That continues to add up as "Irrigation Requirement".  I would like to get data from my personal weather station directly to the ISY.  That's different from rain gauge only data.

True enough. I was really only addressing my experience with 'Rain Today' - but the need to feed full climate data from a local PWS into the ISY irrigation module is acute - if we want even close needed water calculations. I *really* hope this happens with 5.x. Data from more than a few 10s of yards away can really make a difference!

Hello everyone, here's an  update from HAM Support:

Thanks. As you know the core issue is the data from NOAA for these stations only includes the 1 hour precip and 24 hour precip. Some stations report 24 hour precip from midnight & others report a running last 24 hours. The stations doing the latter are the ones you are having a problem with. I have been told that our team is working on some scripts that can run nightly to determine these stations. Then the system can subtract the value last reported right around midnight local time. This should solve the majority of the issues, though may not be 100% accurate, but should be fairly close.

I will continue to provide updates as the team works on this.

With kind regards,

Michel

I can tell you for sure my station reports today's rain from midnight and not the last 24 hours so I don't think their solution will fix my problem. At this point I can't use the irrigation module and I think they are the wrong path. I hope I'm wrong!

Thanks for the hard work and trying to get this resolved Michel.

My rain today still says 0.28".  So if it was reporting the last 24 hours it would have changed since it rained on and off about all day yesterday.  If my rain today was a "running last 24 hours" as HAM says it would have changed from early this morning.  

Also, it has rained a good bit today.  With that said, if it were a "running last 24 hours" it would have changed from this morning.

Archived