Amazon Echo and ISY

madmartian

Jackal,

To load the configurator you need to go to www.the-gordons.net and follow the links on the bottom of the main page.

You stated:

(Harmony Hub note:   Do Not enable the Harmony Hub section in the config.ini!  That section is no longer needed from ha-bridge 1.2.1 onwards)

The Harmony HUB section of the AWS_Config.ini is needed if you want to use the configurator to enter the harmony data. If you are using the HA Bridge to do that then you are correct.

Apologies that I didn't elaborate that this setup is intended for the script written in my setup.  The script in my setup deliberately load the emulator for Harmony separately for easier trouble shooting and a little more system resilience.

Since all that the rc.local script does with regard to HA Bridge is start the app maybe the RPi has not yet completed its booting although rc.local execution should be the last thing in the boot process.  I sort of remember someone recommending a delay in rc.local prior to starting the bridge's.  It is somewhere in this thread. Do a thread search for the word sleep and you will see them.

Barry, are you familiar with the "supervisor" Linux app? It can be used instead of modifying rc.local. A big advantage is the ability to start and stop individual apps as needed without rebooting the RPi.

I haven't yet loaded your configurator and the BWS emulator but it should work with the RPi network active when it auto-starts apps.

To install:

- sudo apt-get install supervisor

Then create a configuration file for each application you want to start/control in /etc/supervisor/conf.d, in your case one config file for each emulator instance you're running. Following for example, is the configuration file for a Python app I run (file is /etc/supervisor/conf.d/rpi-app-01.conf).

[program:rpi-app-01]
command=python /home/pi/app/bas901-0.1.1.py 2302 27
user=root
numprocs=1
autostart=true
autorestart=true
startsecs=20
startretries=99

This will auto-start when the RPi is booted. To manually stop or start:

- sudo supervisorctl stop rpi-app-01

- sudo supervisorctl start rpi-app-01

To see error logs:

- sudo supervisorctl tail rpi-app-01

- sudo supervisorctl tail rpi-app-01 stderr

To see status of all supervisor jobs:

- sudo supervisorctl status

To update supervisor after changing a config file:

- sudo supervisorctl update

Hi Chuck,

I am not sure I understand what you are asking. We are waiting for certification from Amazon Connected Home (which is different than the Skill). Unfortunately I have NO ETAs and cannot provide any guarantees as to where they will go and how long it will take. We would gladly refund your money for the portal.

With kind regards,
​Michel

Hi Chuck,

I am not sure I understand what you are asking. We are waiting for certification from Amazon Connected Home (which is different than the Skill). Unfortunately I have NO ETAs and cannot provide any guarantees as to where they will go and how long it will take. We would gladly refund your money for the portal.

With kind regards,

​Michel

Michel,

Please forgive me if I came across the wrong way. I just was a little concerned that Connected Home support was a given, however it seems a little less certain going forward and I just wanted some clarification simce much of my buying decision was based on this expectation. That said, I understand there are many things beyond your control especially since a third party is involved. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that things go well and eventual approval is forthcoming.

With warm regards,

Chuck

I had too much fun and bought a harmony hub.

So here's the updated complete setup documentation with the updated harmony hub inclusion:

Credits: updated shell script with modifications from apnar 

I'm curious what people are using for friendly names regarding A/V equipment such as DVR's, speakers, etc when setting up their emulator/connected home devices. This is presenting quite a challenge for me since many typical commands used to control my DVR for exmaple such as "Play", "Pause", "Volume Up", etc. are interpreted by Alexa as direct requests versus lighting API commands. So if I say Alexa, turn on Volume Up which corresponds to an ISY program to kick up the volume on my sound bar, Alexa simply turns up her own volume and ignores the request beyond that. Interestingly, when I set up trigger commands using IFTTT, I could use any word I like and Alexa would ignore everything beyond the trigger command and simply push it off to IFTTT.

Any ideas on how to overcome this?

Chuck

So if I say Alexa, turn on Volume Up which corresponds to an ISY program to kick up the volume on my sound bar, Alexa simply turns up her own volume and ignores the request beyond that.

If you ask Alexa to turn up the volume, Alexa will correctly turn up the Echo's volume. Instead, ask Alexa to tell Izzy to turn up the volume.

When referring to audio using the native commands recognized by the Echo audio capability (play, pause, louder,softer and their variants) always refer to the Echo itself.  The only exception to this is if you have paired a Bluetooth device to the echo e.g. an iPad and that device obeys the Bluetooth AVRCP (Audio Video Remote Control Protocol)  then the commands are sent to the paired device.  Hopefully it is playing music.  I have not tried this but that is what the Echo documentation states.

I would really like to pair a Bluetooth speaker or sound system to the Echo so the echo could play its music through a decent set of speakers.

I hadn't seen it mentioned here, but I was browsing skills in the Alexa app last night and the isy skill was in there now.

You are right, just activated my skill. Couldn't refresh list of devices as wife was asleep and I am off for brain surgery, can't wait to play with this in a couple of weeks!

Has anyone looked into the IVEE Voice?  http://helloivee.com/   Looks like it might be promissing. From what I read it is an all open sorce based device with an open API. I pre-ordered one, but it looks like it will be a few months before they ship.

Not sure how this differs from Ubi other than being funded on Indie go go instead of Kickstarter.  Looks to be based on Google's voice processing just like the Ubi.

-Xathros

Hopefully the competition will reduce the price point!

The only feature I really want from the ECHO/others is to be able to pair a Bluetooth transceiver so I can send the audio output to another audio system.  I really do not like the audio quality of the Echo. It hopefully would only be a software change since all the logic to pair with a Bluetooth device is already there. 

I agree Barry, I've thought this since I got the echo. Would also be nice if they started supporting other music services (i.e. Spotify, etc). Also would be nice if the next hardware version has a multi -type audio out connector like the new google chromecast audio (1/8" jack/mini toslink).

Has anyone looked into the IVEE Voice? http://helloivee.com/ Looks like it might be promissing. From what I read it is an all open sorce based device with an open API. I pre-ordered one, but it looks like it will be a few months before they ship.

Not sure how this differs from Ubi other than being funded on Indie go go instead of Kickstarter. Looks to be based on Google's voice processing just like the Ubi.

-Xathros

I backed both and both are utter junk! Amazon Echo is far superior! Look at the "comments" page on Kickstarter for both products, I dont need to say more. Garbage. IMHO Amazon Echo is the best solution at this time.

We have guests visiting -- international, and they've never had any direct exposure to Echo/Alexa before.  In the chaos of arrival, I asked Alexa to turn off the porch light - the echo did so.  A few minutes later, when one of the guests went out to the car and returned (with arms full of suitcases and packages), she simply asked Alexa to turn on the kitchen lights.  Of course, the echo did so.  She wasn't surprised at all, she just assumed, having seen it work with the porch lights, that it would work with the kitchen lights too.  That's an approval factor for home automation that's just off the charts!

The KPLs I've installed and set up are cool, and scenes do neat things, but I usually need to at least provide some guidance to guests (eg: "Yes, that's the light switch, among other things").  In contrast -- the integration with Alexa was just completely natural.  No explanation necessary.

I'm now completely convinced that voice control is not only possible and even practical, it's also a natural way to interface anymore.

(Once the holidays are over, I'll be moving a bunch of switchlincs to other high-traffic areas of the house, and expanding the scope of my Echo/Hue Emulation implementation; it's clearly the right way to go!)

Two things I just wanted to mention related to Sonos:

First I just came across this Sonos plan for the smart things hub that looks interesting:

http://blog.smartthings.com/news/smartthings-updates/smartthings-labs-update-home-can-now-talk/

Second, I also use the Sonos network resource commands mentioned earlier but if any of you have an always on android box/phone/tablet (I use one for my TV), there is an app called Macronos that can do almost any Sonos functions (group, ungroup, set volumes, etc) and pick what to play. It is compatible with Tasker so I use the ISY network resources to send a Tasker AutoRemote message to the android box specifying a preset Sonos action.

For example I say "Alexa, turn on Sonos Christmas" and I have that set to group all 3 of my main floor speakers and play my Pandora Christmas station at a preset volume. I do the same thing for bathroom music, patio music, kitchen music to just que my Pandora shuffle and reset the volumes.

A big thanks goes out to Barry and BWS Systems - this integration is awesome! I appreciate the effort and willingness to share. I LOVE being able to turn on the TV, lights, etc so easily.

To start I got a single emulator up and running for testing (on a mac mini network fileserver). I only added 18 devices and now am very appreciative that Barry setup multiple emulators. I know that I'm going to saturate those with all the cool ideas bouncing around in my head.

But the killer feature is what mwester noted - an intuitive interface. With thoughtful friendly names the voice control is intuitive to practically anyone. Until yesterday the HA WAF was at an all time low with my "weird switches", ipads, remotes, etc throughout the house. In the span of an hour the tides have changed.

Thanks again Barry...

A big thanks goes out to Barry and BWS Systems - this integration is awesome! I appreciate the effort and willingness to share. I LOVE being able to turn on the TV, lights, etc so easily.

To start I got a single emulator up and running for testing (on a mac mini network fileserver). I only added 18 devices and now am very appreciative that Barry setup multiple emulators. I know that I'm going to saturate those with all the cool ideas bouncing around in my head.

But the killer feature is what mwester noted - an intuitive interface. With thoughtful friendly names the voice control is intuitive to practically anyone. Until yesterday the HA WAF was at an all time low with my "weird switches", ipads, remotes, etc throughout the house. In the span of an hour the tides have changed.

Thanks again Barry...

+1

Hopefully the competition will reduce the price point!

The only feature I really want from the ECHO/others is to be able to pair a Bluetooth transceiver so I can send the audio output to another audio system.  I really do not like the audio quality of the Echo. It hopefully would only be a software change since all the logic to pair with a Bluetooth device is already there. 

I completely agree. I would love it if the Echo could pair with an AVR (like my Denon receiver).

Archived