Dead KeypadLinc?

jkraus

I have a 8 button KPL, and button A controls a scene, but has stopped working.  I have restored the device, pulled button A from the scene and reinserted , but is does not work.  All the changes were recorded OK in the program, and all of the other buttons perform correctly.  The A  button will light as a responder if other controllers in the scene turn on that scene, but button A will not control anything.  It has worked for years with no recent changes, and all of the functions seem to be OK, just the Button A.

Happy to replace, but not sure if a KPL would fail in this way.  any guidance, it is appreciated.  should I just replace it?

jkraus,

Before I would change the keypad I would do a factory reset on it, delete it from the ISY and add it back in.  Then put the "A' button back into the scene and try it.  You can also open the event viewer and set it to level 3.   Tools > Diagnostics > Event Viewer   When you push the "A" button you should see traffic in the viewer.  If you do and the scene still doesn't work then please be kind enough to send a support request to support@universal-devices.com and we can login to your computer and take a look. 

OK I did as you said.  seems again all of the other buttons when added to their scenes seem to work OK, but pad a after added to its scene sometimes works and most time not.  the event viewer showed a lot of traffic (not totally understandable to me) on both turn on and turn off presses.

Does the "A" button turn on but not off by chance?  Is there a load connected to the KPL's red wire?  If so, what kind of load it is?

-Xathros

yes, sometime that is the symptom (turns on but not off), but mostly just does not work on or off. No load on the KPL, just controls a remote scene.

why, what were you thinking?

Then it sounds to me like its a hardware problem. if its only the A button, its likely just a bad tact switch under that button.

-Xathros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Okay,, I finally replaced the keypad,but I had the same problem that is pad number A would not work but the rest would. So in desperation I deleted the scen and started from scratch and now it works ok with the new keypad of cours. As the scene worked flawlessly for many years I can only assume it got corrupted. Has anyone seen this?

Okay,, I finally replaced the keypad,but I had the same problem that is pad number A would not work but the rest would. So in desperation I deleted the scen and started from scratch and now it works ok with the new keypad of cours. As the scene worked flawlessly for many years I can only assume it got corrupted. Has anyone seen this?

I've not seen the exact issue you describe but have seen similar odd issues when trouble shooting. Perfect example is if you were using a newer release of Beta firmware and later rolled back to a earlier release.

This could cause program related issues.

I saw this when UDI was just releasing a new feature for the *From Sender* portion. I rolled back to another release and all of my e-mails were either blank or had odd titles.

When the Energy Module was updated to support more granular power values from 500 - 1000 watts. One Beta release had a bug in it and when I rolled back a value of say 501 watts, returned a value of NULL. This caused the program to either not complete or reacted in a very strange manner.

As new features are released its important to keep track of what attributes are being applied to the programs and scenes. For example if a new device is being added because the signature / profile did not exist prior. The system does not always alert the user of this issue because it has no reference to it.

So, in simple terms anything that is software based can at times become corrupted, act erratic, or not operate at all.

It's gremlincs. Being somewhat stubborn, they don't March out, but hang around until they make fools in April.They usually hang around in pairs, so they're known as dual band gremlincs.

I think you just can't feed them after midnight. From imdb:

What are the rules of taking care of a mogwai?

There are three rules: (1) no bright light, (2) don't get him wet, and (3) never feed him after midnight, no matter how much he begs. Bright light hurts him, and sunlight can kill him. If he gets wet, he pops out more mogwais. If fed after midnight, a mogwai will spin a cocoon and undergo metamorphosis, turning into a wicked, troublemaking gremlin.

I think you just can't feed them after midnight. From imdb:

What are the rules of taking care of a mogwai?

There are three rules: (1) no bright light, (2) don't get him wet, and (3) never feed him after midnight, no matter how much he begs. Bright light hurts him, and sunlight can kill him. If he gets wet, he pops out more mogwais. If fed after midnight, a mogwai will spin a cocoon and undergo metamorphosis, turning into a wicked, troublemaking gremlin.

ErikK,

I truly laughed my *** off from reading that! Thanks for bringing back some great memories from back in the day!

Gremlincs. Only Insteon networks exhibit sporadic aberrations of signal sending (SASS) when gremlincs are frolicking

That's awesome, and all this time I thought only my daughter was giving me SASS!

*You Sassing me?* 

I've had similar issues with KPL's, usually with the firmware getting corrupted after a brown out/black out. A restore device always fixed it.

If you continue to have problems do a "Show device links table" then a "compare". In most cases you'll find a few corrupted links.

Archived