Anyone else regret installing a Home Automation system?

jmed999

To chime in on the subject regarding my own experiences,

I started using Home Automation back with the X10 from Smarthome, which as others know back then it was definitely a huge "hobby" and pain to get working right. Then when Smarthome released the "Insteon" products things became so much better, at least in my pea brain thats what I though because of how horrible X10 was.

In 2006 I made the change after buying my a new home to dump all X10 (instead of using both mixed in) and go all Insteon, and thats when I almost quit. I purchased and installed at least 30 or more Insteon Switchlinc 2476D Dimmer switches and long story short the batch of firmware installed on the 2476Ds had issues. Im not sure the specific firmware or how many people were effected but needless to say after spending countless hours programming and installing them I was not to pleased with having to remove them all and doing it all over again and "maybe" things would be better. I came SO close to calling it quits. After giving myself time to calm down and reassess the situation I ended up giving in and switching out all my devices to new ones as advised. I probably would have quit but it all hinged on two people, Michel and a Smarthome rep (who was higher up the food chain but unfortunately forget his name). The customer service from both of them was amazing. You could tell both cared about their customer and wanted to better the product. Granted of course a case can be made they needed to so they could keep customers. However at that time instead of making excuses both dug in and helped me resolve things. I am and still am very thankful to them both.

I had other connections with people whom worked at Levitron with RadioRA however the product at the time didn't have half the stuff of Smarthomes Insteon product and nothing was comparable to the UD ISY. At the time my friends and family would ask "why?" - "Why do you need that?" - "why do you spend so much time on that?" "whats the use?" - Now all of them in some way or another use a Home Automation product and haven't even realized it. Is HA a pain? Yes and I agree very much with Teken says about fragmentation etc. However it is the future and will only get better, easier to use and more stable. Players like Apple (either love em or hate em) will move things forward. The new Smarthome Hub Pro looks like a great product and with being able to use Apple Watch will make more people look at it. Hell I may even switch. Sure I would feel like a traitor to Michel and may loose some features to gain others but its only going to get better. Im excited to see what the future holds. Hopefully you will stick it out and one day the light bulb goes on like it did for me where HA made your life that much easier. For me it happened gradually but now I can't think of not having it!

Closing in on nearly 50 Insteon devices, and wow.  I am in love.  Daily Reports and monitoring text message can't even describe how happy I am knowing what's going on when I'm traveling.

One thing I will point out, if the automation stops working, what is plan B.  Can you still operate a door and exit.  Can you still switch on a light.  Automation is to automate but never to disrupt your way of say... getting out of the house safely.  I'm not that old to have lived "before technology" as we know it, but I have seen almost every kind of device fail and I can sleep better saying "sh*t, well wife, just turn off the light normal people do, press the button."

Think, plan, buy, build, test, and then fix.  Repeat.  - Story of my HA

Internet of things is fast approaching and growing daily.  Insteon/ISY seems to be keeping up.

I ended up using a Raspberry Pi for my one wire that one day stopped working and I have not fixed that yet as I have the pi running the household server and don't want to crash it a dozen times figuring out what happened to the one wire.

Dunno if this is your issue, but an update about 2 months ago disabled the I2C interface by default. It's an easy fix, but had me pulling my hair out for a bit.

Closing in on nearly 50 Insteon devices, and wow.  I am in love.  Daily Reports and monitoring text message can't even describe how happy I am knowing what's going on when I'm traveling.

One thing I will point out, if the automation stops working, what is plan B.  Can you still operate a door and exit.  Can you still switch on a light.  Automation is to automate but never to disrupt your way of say... getting out of the house safely.  I'm not that old to have lived "before technology" as we know it, but I have seen almost every kind of device fail and I can sleep better saying "sh*t, well wife, just turn off the light normal people do, press the button."

Think, plan, buy, build, test, and then fix.  Repeat.  - Story of my HA

Internet of things is fast approaching and growing daily.  Insteon/ISY seems to be keeping up.

Most of my main devices turn on by scene link from the MS to the lamps/light. They will all turn on manually and still automatically but will not turn off automatically if my ISY fails.

I love HA! I started with X10 back in the 1980s and when I moved couldn't wait to get a better (Insteon) system.

I actually hardcore regret it to the point that it was causing big time stress and anxiety for me, because a year later I have all these components but still barely use them because nothing feels polished.  MobiLinc is awful in my opinion and no where near as good as some of the apps like ImperiHome for Vera.  I use a dynamic DNS provider now and whenever I set the remote ISY address to house.dynamicdnsip.com (made up example), it just changes it to the numerical IP when you save which is useless as soon as the IP changes.  My main issue is that I feel I just can't trust the system, maybe it's because I work in IT so I'm dealing with redundancy all the time and have no interest in buying multiple ISYs and UPS, but there's always those random times where I get up in the morning to see the living room lamp is still on and didn't turn off for some reason as it should have (this is maybe once a month so nothing major) but it's to the point that it gets super annoying.  

I just can't enjoy it as much as I should because I think there's too much maintenance with it.  There's lots of great benefits, like if I have the kitchen door unlocked, then also keep the garage door unlocked, and if I lock the kitchen lock the garage.  However there's always those random times where it just doesn't work for some unknown reason, giving me no trust in it and causing me to still always manually check things.  My main issue though is there's far too many technologies out there with none really perfect.  I all but stopped buying devices until things get more mature as who knows where HomeKit will go, as I'm sure Apple will do HA far better than anyone else has.  To me it's just a novelty, it was cool to turn the lights on and off remotely, but that only lasted for a couple weeks until I realized I have no need to remotely control devices.  Where I did enjoy it was in things like the bathroom, walk in motion turns the lights on, close the door the fan comes on, leave and the fan stays on for 20 minuets then turns off.  Very cool, until you add it all up and realize that door sensor, motion sensor, and 2 switches was about $200, when it's not hard to just turn the light on with the switch.  Even when I go on vacation I unplug the Garage IO Linc in the garage as I don't trust it that it won't just randomly open the garage.  When I was in Vegas a month ago I got an alert from the ISY saying leak detected in the laundry room, so had my neighbour run over in a panic only to find absolutely nothing wrong, not even dampness.  Was excited thinking I'd finally get the value for my money in stopping a leak as it happened but nothing, just a false alarm.

What I've done instead is sold many components and just use the system for non critical things like lamp timers and integrated with my DSC alarm.  That way if I arm it in away mode I know 100% that no one is home (where as using KPLs and ISY was useless as no one would remember set the house in away or home mode when leaving since there's no door chime to alert you, and flashing the lights isn't elegant, plus there's no security, someone breaking in can just press "Home" on the KPL).  So now other things happen if the house is in away mode, like turning the porch light on at sunset, keeping lamp timers on a few hours longer than if we were home, or turning down the thermostat temperature, things like that where if they malfunction it's no issue.  I have no interest in things that others do like using motion sensors to detect if people are home, or iPhone proximity etc, I need more control over things.

Having said all that I love the ISY, it's def one of the best platforms out there.  Indigo I think is amazing, I just hate that it needs to run on a dedicated Mac, otherwise with all its plugins and graphical interface plus the ability to save device state as a variable (as well as words in variables not just numbers) I think it's better.  From a trust standpoint though the ISY is the best there I think.

The other reason I sold a bunch of it was because the family hated it, and guests weren't overly comfortable, always asking if the motion sensor in the bathroom is a camera watching them, or being concerned that the lights will all go out on them while they are in the shower or things like that.  For me I find it all works best and is most enjoyable where it provides a convenience like turning a light on, but where you can always manually do it as well.  When it comes to locking my doors, keeping the garage closed, alerting me to motion when I'm away, things like that, I won't use it anymore as I just don't trust it all.

I actually hardcore regret it to the point that it was causing big time stress and anxiety for me, because a year later I have all these components but still barely use them because nothing feels polished.  MobiLinc is awful in my opinion and no where near as good as some of the apps like ImperiHome for Vera.  I use a dynamic DNS provider now and whenever I set the remote ISY address to house.dynamicdnsip.com (made up example), it just changes it to the numerical IP when you save which is useless as soon as the IP changes.  My main issue is that I feel I just can't trust the system, maybe it's because I work in IT so I'm dealing with redundancy all the time and have no interest in buying multiple ISYs and UPS, but there's always those random times where I get up in the morning to see the living room lamp is still on and didn't turn off for some reason as it should have (this is maybe once a month so nothing major) but it's to the point that it gets super annoying.  

I just can't enjoy it as much as I should because I think there's too much maintenance with it.  There's lots of great benefits, like if I have the kitchen door unlocked, then also keep the garage door unlocked, and if I lock the kitchen lock the garage.  However there's always those random times where it just doesn't work for some unknown reason, giving me no trust in it and causing me to still always manually check things.  My main issue though is there's far too many technologies out there with none really perfect.  I all but stopped buying devices until things get more mature as who knows where HomeKit will go, as I'm sure Apple will do HA far better than anyone else has.  To me it's just a novelty, it was cool to turn the lights on and off remotely, but that only lasted for a couple weeks until I realized I have no need to remotely control devices.  Where I did enjoy it was in things like the bathroom, walk in motion turns the lights on, close the door the fan comes on, leave and the fan stays on for 20 minuets then turns off.  Very cool, until you add it all up and realize that door sensor, motion sensor, and 2 switches was about $200, when it's not hard to just turn the light on with the switch.  Even when I go on vacation I unplug the Garage IO Linc in the garage as I don't trust it that it won't just randomly open the garage.  When I was in Vegas a month ago I got an alert from the ISY saying leak detected in the laundry room, so had my neighbour run over in a panic only to find absolutely nothing wrong, not even dampness.  Was excited thinking I'd finally get the value for my money in stopping a leak as it happened but nothing, just a false alarm.

What I've done instead is sold many components and just use the system for non critical things like lamp timers and integrated with my DSC alarm.  That way if I arm it in away mode I know 100% that no one is home (where as using KPLs and ISY was useless as no one would remember set the house in away or home mode when leaving since there's no door chime to alert you, and flashing the lights isn't elegant, plus there's no security, someone breaking in can just press "Home" on the KPL).  So now other things happen if the house is in away mode, like turning the porch light on at sunset, keeping lamp timers on a few hours longer than if we were home, or turning down the thermostat temperature, things like that where if they malfunction it's no issue.  I have no interest in things that others do like using motion sensors to detect if people are home, or iPhone proximity etc, I need more control over things.

Having said all that I love the ISY, it's def one of the best platforms out there.  Indigo I think is amazing, I just hate that it needs to run on a dedicated Mac, otherwise with all its plugins and graphical interface plus the ability to save device state as a variable (as well as words in variables not just numbers) I think it's better.  From a trust standpoint though the ISY is the best there I think.

The other reason I sold a bunch of it was because the family hated it, and guests weren't overly comfortable, always asking if the motion sensor in the bathroom is a camera watching them, or being concerned that the lights will all go out on them while they are in the shower or things like that.  For me I find it all works best and is most enjoyable where it provides a convenience like turning a light on, but where you can always manually do it as well.  When it comes to locking my doors, keeping the garage closed, alerting me to motion when I'm away, things like that, I won't use it anymore as I just don't trust it all.

Well that really comes down to first setting realistic expectations. Next is deploying any system in a small, controlled, and methodical way. I've seen too many people fall into the (HA Fad) full bore only to realize they did not even take a moment to really sit down and think how this system would integrate or better their lives.

This is the major problem with the current crop of HA users no planning . . . It should also be indicated Insteon is not a replacement for a security system but does offer features and attributes which help an existing system be more usable, friendly, and capable.

Again, I've seen dozens of people walk into this HA game being a complete cheap aszz and complaining moments later XYZ is just brutal and terrible in this respect???

Really???

You went out of your way to purchase a device that is not listed, endorsed, tested / certified, as a security device yet you expected it to perform as such??

Incredible . . .

I have literally turned down thousand dollar installs because I told the owners they had no freaking clue what they wanted. Once they came back and had reasonable expectations along with mile markers for accomplishing these goals.

Maybe we could entertain installing 200 plus devices costing you thousands of dollars in hopes your (fantasy matched reality) the first go round! You know the great thing about being broke and poor in this HA game?? You actually have to wait to install the next big thing until you get paid which realistically makes a person analyze the actual needs vs wants.

It forces those people to really consider the use case and how it all ties together along with what kind of work, effort, and time it takes to all make it happen.

People who have more money than brains often plop down lots of big phatties of Bennies and hope for the best.

You know what *Hope don't float* . . .

In simple terms my personal experience is 90% of the people just getting into the HA game really aren't serious or have a clue whats going on. They believe its going to be plug and play and all is well and no trouble shooting is required.

Wrong . . .

The technology is not there yet and there are too many outside factors that impair and lesson the quality of the HA experience. I can count on one hand how many people who have actually done the following from the onset.

1. Identify all noise makers / signal suckers: filter, remove, replace

2. Confirm proper coupling / bridging outlined by the 2413S PLM hand out or any dual band full users manual.

3. Hard reset all devices to a OEM state prior to install.

These three basic principles are rarely done or even attempted, why?? At the end of the day the tech has gotten way better and there are many more features and devices on the market we never had. All of this tech does not supersede common sense, reading the freaking manual, or following best practices and known SOP's! 

This is the major problem with the current crop of HA users no planning

While I don't do this for a living (as apparently does Teken), my perceptions from reading forums like this are similar.  I perceive many who jump in without giving adequate thought to WHAT they are trying to accomplish.  Ready, fire, aim.  While I think many accurately assume that there is benefit in home automation, the real payoff comes through thought and planning.  I am also an advocate of starting small: simple timers and a couple of scenes.  Play around and learn.  Experiment.  Go slow.

I would add, too, that I suspect many jump in based purely on the perception that it would be really cool to turn on lights from a cell phone.  While this may be true, the cool factor will quickly wear off leaving one with a lot of money gone and little long-term benefit.  To me, the real benefit is having the right lights on and off at the right time and the right event...automatically.  I find my house much more pleasant and enjoyable waking  to a house with the right lights on without intervention on my part, or being sure doors are closed and locked without having to run downstairs to check, or being able to flood the exterior with light when one hears a bump in the night, or coming home and having the house greet you with lighting.

I have to agree with oberkc, teken and the others who specifically say HA is not about fancy cell phone apps. Home automation should be about "automation". It shouldnt be something you have to think about, do or explain how to use. It should happen naturally, for example basic sunset and sunrise settings. I despise opening an app to do something. Some things I cant image living without are also things like when I open the door to my master closet the light turns on/off by itself, same with my pantry and laundry room, which are normally areas you have your hands full. To me Home Automation is about making my life easier not more complicated. I dont like tinkering with my setup and usually once I have a scene or program setup I dont have to touch it. I do have high end remotes and this bridges the gap as well in the fact I can make a button and use to to control just about anything in my home. If Im on the couch watching TV I can control my lights, arm/disarm the alarm, etc. I also am a big fan of Pushover notifications for specific events that are important, like the arming and disarming of my Elk Alarm, Water Leak Sensors and whatnot but this doesnt mean I want a million emails to sift though either to micro manage, as I dont have the time. I did take the time and spent the money to build my system right from the base including things like filters and phase couplers, plus had an electrical plug put close to the electrical panel for the PLM to be for shorter communication transmitting. At this point I cant imagine lift without mu ISY and HA.

I still think the main issue is that the technology is super easy, but it's too hard to program for a novice user that isn't interested in learning the whole system.  You should be able to log into a HA controller, and pick a device and then have a basic wizard like what do you want to do?  Create a lamp timer, create a motion light, create a virtual 3 or more way switch, create a notification, etc.  Or let me click a KPL and show an image of it, clicking each button and picking what happens when I press that button.  To the above posts, I don't care about a fancy cell phone app, but how else should I put the house in Home vs Away mode to do different things, or control the temperature when I'm not home?  I can't even make a virtual device on the ISY that says Home vs Away, so instead you have to use variables and then when changing the house status on most apps, go into the program section, edit it and change variable to 1 for Home 2 for Away etc.  It's clunky and not elegant which is why I got the DSC alarm instead so that it is what controls the house status since it's more obvious.

I agree though that the HA works best when it helps automate basic tasks, like turning the lights on in the closet when you open the door as mentioned, things where if it didn't work for some reason it's not a huge deal as you can always turn it on yourself.  Where I just refuse to use it now is on more critical things, like "If I press Goodnight on a KPL, turn off the lights downstairs and lock all the doors."  Like there's no way I'm trusting my doors being locked to a program that I wrote myself.  

I still think the main issue is that the technology is super easy, but it's too hard to program for a novice user that isn't interested in learning the whole system.  You should be able to log into a HA controller, and pick a device and then have a basic wizard like what do you want to do? 

Its hard for me to say "super easy" and HA in the same sentence. Learning, testing and technical knowledge, both past and ongoing, are required. 

The best example I can think of is external internet access to the ISY. What is desired makes it seem super easy, but its not. In my past jobs, I've had set up workstations and firewalls. I had to learn about IPv4 address, subnets, NAT, DNS, Domain services (dndyns) etc. When it was time for me to set that up in my ISY, I knew what to do. However, if I had not brought that learning with me to my iSY, setting up remote access would be very confusing and frustrating because I would not understand the fundamentals.

Internet setup is one example and one topic. To implement different types of HA projects, basic generalist skills needed include:

• Construction, especially electrical
  • programming & logic
  • networking
  • Electronics and signaling
  • Individual HA technologies (Insteon, Zwave, 1wire, ...)
  • HVAC (and your individual HVAC system type and its wiring)
  • Irrigation (and your individual system and its wiring)
  • Security (and your individual system and its wiring)

Where knowledge on one of these topics is absent, dedication and patience is needed to use this board, or other resources, to get where you need to be. Another good example is HVAC. HVAC systems are different and are wired in different ways. Not all thermostats are the same. You really need to know before picking any thermostat off of a web page.

Per other comments above, just about any HA project has the potential to be daunting. Before deciding to jump into any one project, ask "what do I need know about this?"

Leave time time to "bench test" and experiment with each project before setting it loose on the other residents of the house. It makes sure it works the way you want, and provides you with additional valuable learning: what it really does vs what you intended for it to do. I learned this one the hard way when I first started.

Paul

IMHO, home automation will become more of a mainstream technology once device prices drop by at least 50%, and someone sells a hub capable of learning your house habits the way the Nest thermostat learns your temperature habits. The obvious problem here is that device prices aren't likely to drop much without widespread adoption.

The other way I see HA going mainstream is if demand-response requirements get put into the residential building codes for new construction or significant remodels, and the financial incentives of the demand-response program are sufficient to justify the expense of installation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do have to agree a clean GUI and point and shoot programming is missing in the ISY Series Controller. This is the one area I will concede Smartlabs has done a very good job in providing the masses via the HUB II / HUB Pro controllers. As much as I bag on them for the lack of vision along with zero feed back.

My expectations is within the next five years Smarthome / Smartlabs will wake up and smell the coffee. In that era they will be a force to be reckon with and if the people backing this product ever actually sit down and be serious in this area and include conditional programming, trouble shooting diagnostics (HL2), along with energy management, Apple Home Kit, etc.

This landscape will become very interesting to say the least.

I think HA is great for many reasons but mostly due to the fact that I have a very rare medical condition (Ehlers Danlos Syndrome) where even a minor bump on the leg can leave me without the ability to walk, I have been injured where I can't walk for up to six month long stretches, having the ability to remotely control lights or have them come on based on automation rules is helping me greatly.  I started with X-10 back in the late 70's when I first saw it at Sears, I had X-10 it until 2006 when I bought my first Insteon stuff, I briefly switched part of my house to Lutron RadioRA after I had 3 PLC failures in a short amount of time. When I started replacing my incandescent bulbs with energy saving LED bulbs I would either have to spend a fortune on new RadioRA dimmers that would work with smaller loads or switch again so I bought an ISY-99i, a PLM and went back to Insteon in 2010. I just recently replaced my ISY-99i with a ISY-994i ZW/IR Pro and a new PLM so I can replace some of my original dimmers that have failed tact switches, I also bought new remotelinc2 controllers because I got tired of replacing tact switches on the original remotelincs. If not for the ISY, I would never gone back to Insteon, I never had any trouble with my ISY-99i or the PLM I bought in 2010 and hope to get many good years out of my new ISY-994i ZW/IR Pro.

I only regret a few purchases and decisions early on but not the project or endeavor.

I am slightly annoyed with the reliability of the Insteon products and protocol but still believe it is the best option as the basis for an HA system. Integrating other components like security system, zone dampers, cameras, DVR, water valves, and a variety of other systems with my ISY has been a challenging effort that I've enjoyed.

For me it's definitely a hobby more than a work effort . I actually enjoy the installation and tinkering with programs occasionally.

As a technologist, I don't mind the necessity to troubleshoot and deal with failures or unexpected behaviors.  I also have the knowledge to run wiring, install circuits, and modify the walls/floors/ceilings in my house to accommodate whatever it is I'm trying to accomplish. However, I could see that for somebody who doesn't have a technology background or basic knowledge for house electrical would find that the installation, troubleshooting, and ongoing maintenance of a full blown HA system might find it too much of a headache in the long run.
  • 3 weeks later...

Definitely worth it for me, but like many here, I enjoy the time I put into it. I consider it a hobby. My wife often jokes that I'm not happy unless I have something to fix. As a result, I am frequently playing with the system to break improve things. My home theater system falls under the same category (SageTV forever!).

Some "Practical" Benefits:

* Automated sprinklers based on current and forecast weather

* Automated whole-house ventilation system that reduces need for AC by knowing when to exchange air instead of running the AC

* Monitors my sump pump to make sure it's still operating

* Notifies me when I'm away from home and my smoke alarms go off (never used in real-case scenario, thank goodness)

Some Fun Benefits:

* Lights my way to bed when I'm done for the night

* Turns on the nightly news if I'm in the room at 6pm

* Provides simple timer functions for an outdoor fountain and indoor "ambient" lights

* Makes things happen when I push buttons (the six-year old version of me is so very impressed)

-Randy

Interestingly, I rarely touch my system, except when adding new devices. Mine is pretty much maintenance free.

Ditto! Except when another opportunity pops up to 'automate' something.

I like Insteon except battery powered devices. I wish SmartHome made module that operated at 5 to 12 vac that I could add to my own devices.

That would solve a lot of my issues.

I wish SH would not have discontinued their power supply adapter that would connect into MS units without having to fudge wiring to connectors or use cable adapters adding up to as much as the MSes.

Ditto! Except when another opportunity pops up to 'automate' something.

Or when there is a smarthome sale that I just cannot resist.  I have two new outletlincs just waiting for a purpose in life.  Hopefully, I can think of one.

Or when there is a smarthome sale that I just cannot resist. I have two new outletlincs just waiting for a purpose in life. Hopefully, I can think of one.

Guilty of that too, not going to lie. I have an extra appliance linc relay that I want to put in front of an Elk 40va transformer, if I can make those two things fit physically. The 24vac device is controlled by an iolinc now and works fine, other than 40va x 24 x 7 use of power. If I can't make it fit the appliance linc, time to get another outlet linc!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Lets see right now I have a extra PLM, 8 On/Off modules, 2 LampLinc modules, a micro module, 2 2477Ds, 2 2477Ss, 1-8 Button and 1-6 button kepypadlincs, 1 door sensor, a motion sensor and an IOLinc. Am I obsessed? I think I maybe. Most of these are backups if one fails. ;)

Lets see right now I have a extra PLM, 8 On/Off modules, 2 LampLinc modules, a micro module, 2 2477Ds, 2 2477Ss, 1-8 Button and 1-6 button kepypadlincs, 1 door sensor, a motion sensor and an IOLinc. Am I obsessed? I think I maybe. Most of these are backups if one fails. ;)

Have you considered a second mortgage yet?

OK don't tell my wife if I don't tell yours?

Guilty of that too, not going to lie. I have an extra appliance linc relay that I want to put in front of an Elk 40va transformer, if I can make those two things fit physically. The 24vac device is controlled by an iolinc now and works fine, other than 40va x 24 x 7 use of power. If I can't make it fit the appliance linc, time to get another outlet linc!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They sell these little 6 inch extension cords just for that situation.

http://www.amazon.com/6-Inch-Power-Extension-5-Pack-Outlet/dp/B00DVRUTXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433424562&sr=8-1&keywords=6+inch+extension+cord&pebp=1433424640418&perid=0F8C8X6XXT2ZV7204941

Thanks Apostolakis.  I've needed those for my 'datacenter' too, which is a wall in my office closet. The powerstrip for that gets jammed up quickly with odd sized transformers.

• 7 months later...

I've had my whole hose done for two years. I haven't had to replace a single item. I spent a little time experimenting with x10 devices to have a cheaper option, and decided quickly to stick to insteon. I will never be without a home automation system again.

Archived