motion sensor question

jkraus

Need a little advice.  For years I have been using motion sensor to run a program to turn on "garage lite", but it is kind of slow that way.  The reason I was using the program is because if the garage lite was turned on by a different controller on a keypad I did not want the  motion senor timer to turn off the light so I had a separate program to turn off when received "off" command AND KPL switch was not on.  This works OK but kind of slow to turn on.

Today I made a new scene and put the sensor in the scene along with the garage lite and set the motion sensor to send only on command. This made the lite come on much faster, great!  Then I used a program to turn off the Garage lite after so many second after the motion sensor was "on" AND the KPL switch is not on.  Seems to work erratically, but I cannot get consistent results.  So rather than trying to debug "my way" perhaps there is some other way to make this work?

Thanks much

Joe

This is the method I use for almost all my MSes. It works like a charm and no delay can even be detected by us. I also use logic controlled dimming for the lamps involved by manipulating the scenes.

Can you post your program involved here to look at?

The program is very simple, but the issue may be the motion sensor , so I have:

All switches off except #5 for software control on in the motion sensor

I have software programmed , on only commands, timer .5 minutes ( although is timer disabled with on only commands?), motion sensor tos send regardless of timer, nite only

I think I am missing something basic, but I will try tonight when it gets dark ( btw I have always used dusk dawn from the isy to set command, but now with now only on the motion sensor will the light form the garage lite make the nit only now see day?)

The program is very simple, but the issue may be the motion sensor , so I have:

All switches off except #5 for software control on in the motion sensor

I have software programmed , on only commands, timer .5 minutes ( although is timer disabled with on only commands?), motion sensor tos send regardless of timer, nite only

I think I am missing something basic, but I will try tonight when it gets dark ( btw I have always used dusk dawn from the isy to set command, but now with now only on the motion sensor will the light form the garage lite make the nit only now see day?)

You had stated the ON which is scene linked directly from the MS to the Light works great but the turning it off by the ISY is flaky. That is run by the program. Either the program has problems or your communications between the MS to the ISY or the ISY to the lightswitch does.
test - [iD 0042][Parent 0001]

If

Control '31.8F.F5-Sensor' is switched On

And Status  'KPL Kitchen.1' is Off

And Status  'KPL Kitchen.D' is Off

Then

Wait  40 seconds

Set Scene 'Garage Back Lite scene' Off

Else

- No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

The "If" statement evaluates as false unless BOTH KPL buttons are off when the sensor sends an On signal. What do the KPL buttons control? Are they both always likely to be off when the MS sends an On?

IN addition to stusviews comments, note, also, that turning either of these switches on during the 40 sec timer will halt the timer.  I assume that this is as you wish.

My gut feel is that the program is fine, and that any "erratice" behaviour is the result of comms problems, but would need to no more specifics about what is or is not happening that you expect to happen or not to happen.

Archived