isy stopped running & can't connect

rcwagner

Yesterday programs in my ISY stopped running.  Today I started troubleshooting (always on a Friday afternoon, with a 3 day weekend looming) and found that I cannot connect to the device over the LAN. 

If I try the ISY994 Dashboard, the ISYadmin.jnlp or the ISY994 Administrative Console, they all bring up the ISY Finder : Not Found dialog.  Clicking refresh searches, but does not find.

If I try a web browser direct via http://ISY, or isy.univ..-devi....com/admin.jnlp, it fails to connect.

I've tried connecting via the rear serial port, which I can, but then don't know what to do.  I tried setting the ip address to a fixed value and then using a web browser to that IP, but it still did not connect.

Help!

If you did not assign a static address to the ISY, then the address may have changed. If you assigned a port, then you must append the port number to access the ISY from a browser. Can you ping the IP address (a port number is not required for a ping).

Edit: Can you locate the ISY in your router menu of attached devices? The MAC begins with 00.21.89

I've tried pulling the memory card - powered it down, took it out, powered it up and got an error light, powered down, reinserted memory card, powered it up.

That may have effected the problem a little.  However, I also update my version of Java so I'm not sure which caused the change.  But, now when I browse to http://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/ the admin console comes up, but that's it.  No log in prompt and when I make the log in menu selection nothing happens. 

I can ping the device (I previously set the IP to a fixed value through the serial port console, so I know the address).  I do see the ISY via my router utility (good idea Stu), although the mac address is 00.21.b9 not 89. It shows up as ISY994-EMS in the router.

I have done the factory reset, but still cannot get to log in.  Oddly enough, when I had problems like this back in February, I wasn't even able to log in via the serial console.  This time I can come in via the serial port and log in no problem.  But I can't get the device to come up over the LAN.

As far as resets go, I hold down the reset for maybe 10s and the lights start to blink, then go to a running pattern, and after holding the reset for 30s more I get a couple blinks on the mem led.

Now that the admin console comes up the login popup does not appear, and it looks like the login menu selection is disabled.  I can "set Userid/Password" but that does not seem to go anywhere.

I have a backup of the ISY.  I learned that lesson in February.

I've tried pulling the memory card - powered it down, took it out, powered it up and got an error light, powered down, reinserted memory card, powered it up.

That may have effected the problem a little.  However, I also update my version of Java so I'm not sure which caused the change.  But, now when I browse to http://isy.universal-devices.com/994i/ the admin console comes up, but that's it.  No log in prompt and when I make the log in menu selection nothing happens. 

I can ping the device (I previously set the IP to a fixed value through the serial port console, so I know the address).  I do see the ISY via my router utility (good idea Stu), although the mac address is 00.21.b9 not 89. It shows up as ISY994-EMS in the router.

I have done the factory reset, but still cannot get to log in.  Oddly enough, when I had problems like this back in February, I wasn't even able to log in via the serial console.  This time I can come in via the serial port and log in no problem.  But I can't get the device to come up over the LAN.

As far as resets go, I hold down the reset for maybe 10s and the lights start to blink, then go to a running pattern, and after holding the reset for 30s more I get a couple blinks on the mem led.

Now that the admin console comes up the login popup does not appear, and it looks like the login menu selection is disabled.  I can "set Userid/Password" but that does not seem to go anywhere.

I have a backup of the ISY.  I learned that lesson in February.

You should put a ticket in to UD.  They will probably see this thread at some point also and give you further instruction.

The only other thing is maybe the PLM is bad.  You might try disconnecting it and trying to access ISY.  You can log into ISY without a PLM, it just goes into "safe mode" of sorts.

You are correct, it is B9 and not 89. BTW, if you use the serial cable, then it ISY will not be available on the LAN.

What is the result if you browse to http://isy?

Does the ISY show on one lit LED, the one labeled POWER?

@Stu, going to http://isy goes nowhere.  I get a message about can't find ISY, check your network connection.  I'm not sure how that works anyway.  Is there a cache that identifies isy to a particular ip address?

Anyway, I pulled the plug to the PLM, and did yet another reset.  I tried to connect to http://isy (previous paragraph), and then when to the usual isy.uni.../994i and got the log in prompt!  Hey! 

So I did a restore from a backup, tried to connect again, and couldn't log in  :(

Plugged the PLM back in (this is after my last message). Thought that might have some good effect.

Got two popup messages (yikes, who the heck writes error messages in red on a blue background!), one on top of each other.

The first one (the one on the bottom, so presumably that one occurred first) said:

Socket open failed java.net.ConnectException: connection refused: no further information.

The second said:

XML Parse Error http://192.168.10.105:62180/0/d.xml

So I closed the program and tried again. That just comes up with the admin console, no request for password and empty as far as devices or programs.

Hmmm.  Maybe it is a bad PLM. 

Removed power, removed PLM, restored power and I can start the admin console (it asks for password, etc).  I see my devices and programs, presumably from the previous restore operation.

Then I unplug power, plug in PLM, restore power (did not close admin console).  Tried to 'Restore PLM" but that gave an error.

What a PITA!

You should be able to log in to the ISY w/o the PLM. The only purpose of the PLM is to communicate with Insteon devices. BTW, if you assigned a prot (eg., 62180), then you need add the port number to log in using http://isy:port

Several poster found that PLMs near or more that 2 years old tend to fail.

Yes, I've ordered a new PLM.  I was just looking at the reviews of the 2413s and many people are complaining about their life expectancy.  UD needs to develop their own device!  Maybe they can come up with one that lasts longer than 13 months.  I'd buy it.  Maybe a PLM needs to cost $160 instead of 80.

Yes, I've ordered a new PLM.  I was just looking at the reviews of the 2413s and many people are complaining about their life expectancy.  UD needs to develop their own device!  Maybe they can come up with one that lasts longer than 13 months.  I'd buy it.  Maybe a PLM needs to cost $160 instead of 80.

Two points

1) UD is making their own PLM.  Not sure when it will be out.

2) You can fix your old PLM and make it better than factory.  There is a thread in here about which capacitors to replace.  Many success stories there, me included.

PS, PLM's don't need to cost $160.  It is literally that they saved a few pennies on cheap *** caps.

• 2 months later...

I`ve got similar problems with my ISY 994i and maybe someone could help.

After a electrical surge problem here, my PLM stopped working and I noticed a capacitor broken. 

This week I just changed the PLM for a new one but I just can`t get the system working again. Isy don`t starts and show me RX light still on with memory and error lights blinking. What could it be?

I`ve checked my lan settings everything should be fine. I reseted ISY and PLM a few times but nothing works.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes... I've got no network problems... I tried some tests right now with another isy that is working...

I formated SD Card and tried the isy another time, still doesn't work...

I tried this same SD card in my good ISY and it worked fine...

Last time, I tried a good SD card on the bad ISY and it still doesn't work.. Don't know what more could I do. Any ideas? Should I return it to UD to see what could be done?

Archived