lets talk about motion sensors

someguy

I'm trying to make motion sensors work with my isy-99 and it looks like I've got a few options.

1) X-10 motion sensors ($20) with an EZX10RF

2) X-10 motion sensors without the EZX10RF

3) Insteon Motion sensors ($35)

I really like the way I can sit on my *** and program things through the ISY, so it would be nice to use option 2 (above), but the limitation is that the X-10 signal doesn't always get to the ISY.

The EZX10RF gets rid of this problem, but it creates the headache of having to deal with all of that tapping of the buttons. Man, this is a PITA! I can't tell you how many times I've gone through this and it messes up. There has to be a better way to program the EZX10RF.

The Insteon Motion sensors seem to be the easiest option, but they cost quite a bit more. Do we know if the ISY will be able to program the Skylink Insteon motion sensors for the "off" time?

Any comments from anyone who has been through this?

I use option #2 (EagleEyes) with an EZX10RF to receive/distribute the signals. However, I do not link the sensor to any devices, I use trigger programs in my ISY to start a timed response to the "on" signal. I ignore the off signal. I have found this works well for me and I don't have to tap-tap anything!

I am currently testing the 2420M.

I use EagleEyes (BTW, they can be bought for only $10 ea from reputable dealers) with an EZX10RF to send the X10 signal to the ISY for relay to the activation device as long as I can tolerate the ~2 sec delay or if the device to be activated is an X10 device

If I need a faster response (~1 sec.) or if an Insteon device is to be activated, the EagleEye house code is programmed into the EZX10RF with an EZBridge (a PLM can also be used to do this with the right software I think) and the EZX10RF sends the Insteon code to the ISY for relay to the device. There is less button tapping involved using the ISY as a relay and the EZBridge as a programmer.

So my setup has no direct EZX10RF to device links, only relays through the ISY. Most of my indirect links have time, date, and/or on duration conditions that couldn't be accomodated by a simple direct link.

If I ever decide that I need an even faster response time to motion and SmartHome has a fantastic sale and Smarthome offers a reduced price Insteon motion sensor and Access Point combination, I might add one.

Frankly I love the EagleEyes, because they are so cheap and so I'm not afraid to modify them to be more versatile. I've added external power connections to all mine so that external battery packs can be added when necessary. I've standardized on an inexpensive kitchen cabinet door hinge that is used for a one-axis mount. I've experimented with optical-mechanical means to reduce the sensitivity of the EagleEyes and also have modified them as light sensors without motion sensing. I also think they could be wired to be activated by an external contact switch.

I use option #2 (EagleEyes) with an EZX10RF to receive/distribute the signals. However, I do not link the sensor to any devices, I use trigger programs in my ISY to start a timed response to the "on" signal. I ignore the off signal. I have found this works well for me and I don't have to tap-tap anything!

Stowaway:

If you don't mind, will you explain how you do this? Are you just talking about using the EZX10RF in place of an "X10 plug-in RF base"? If so, then why use a >$100 device in place of a $25 device? Is there any other benefit other than it will receive all house codes?

what is the 2420? I can't find it on a google search.

I use the EZX10RF because of the extended range it provides as well as the programability if needed. I had problems with the cheaper RF modules and I upgraded to the EZX10 just about the same time I moved to Insteon.

The 2420M is the Insteon Motion Sensor......

Good luck!

Stowaway:

If you don't mind, will you explain how you do this? Are you just talking about using the EZX10RF in place of an "X10 plug-in RF base"? If so, then why use a >$100 device in place of a $25 device? Is there any other benefit other than it will receive all house codes?

what is the 2420? I can't find it on a google search.

Stowaway:

Can you give details as to how exactly you use the EZX10RF?

do you just use it as a device to conver RF X10 signals to powerline X10 signals?

In what way does it have better range? Better RF range? or better powerline range (if there is such a thing)?

Here is the original discussion that prompted me to do this with directions >

http://forum.universal-devices.com/viewtopic.php?t=956

I could not wait for SH to develop and Isteon device and I had some old MS14a devices as well as the EagleEyes which are weather resistant. I get over 100 ft RF range from outside mounted EagleEyes.

Stowaway:

Can you give details as to how exactly you use the EZX10RF?

do you just use it as a device to conver RF X10 signals to powerline X10 signals?

In what way does it have better range? Better RF range? or better powerline range (if there is such a thing)?

Archived