Admin Console debug window

larryllix

It would be nice to have a small debug window where on or more variable values, and/or device statuses could be placed in the window for troubleshooting.

This way programs could be test run, while the user is observing a variable used as a flag or analogue, a device's status, or even temperature value, all on the same page.

Program and folder flag indicators could be watched as a temperature approaches the turn on point for a heater or a variable and node status could be watched to insure the users logic works as intended all in the same window.

If it isn't felt enough screen realestate is available in the program tree page perhaps a completely separate page tab could be developed or a floating resizable window that could be floated and placed out of the ay of the current task spots being watched.

I like your idea. What I have been wishing for are filters for the Event Viewer where I can specify which devices  or variables I want to watch. Allow up to 10 filters where you can add devices or variables and don't display any other traffic.

It's hard when you're watching for a specific event when a LUMIN value pops in from a multi sensor which causes the ISY to off checking any work to be done for this battery power device. That's just one example. Thermostat messages are another, temperature changes, heating or cooling turning on/off.

By the time the event you're waiting for happens it's lost in a sea of other traffic.

Hi larryllix,

Would making the Variables tab pop out (not docked) work?

With kind regards,

Michel

I was thinking that different screen sizes would require different positions to avoid covering up folder flags, program flags or program listings. I fixed position would take a reserved place on screen that would always take up screen realestate, used or not.

Hi andyf0,

I like the idea of filter. This said the events are free form text. So filters should be free form text.

Hi larryllix,

Sorry, I don't understand!

With kind regards,

Michel

OK I am also confused by the pop-out tab idea. I don't understand that one.

The main point was to be able to view certain variables or devices while simultaneously watching and/or running programs for debugging complex logic and/or timing purposes. Sometimes our devices we use for final logic output are remote and not visible.

Many of the questions here people wonder why some If trigger logic doesn't work. As multiple linked programs with conditionals get more complex sometimes timing and logic can get  hard to discern. If a list of nodes and variable could be placed on a floating box on top of the program tree the user could watch a few variables while running program tests or operating devices. We have great debugging tools by watching the program tree icons but we can't see variables or device statuses at the same time.

Archived