Aeon Aeotec gen5 siren

The siren actually has 5 distinct tones/patterns and 3 discernable volume levels.

The LEDS activate ;when including/excluding the siren in the Z-wave network and brightly flash in a rotating pattern any time the siren is active.

In Homeseer HS3 I was able to configure all parameters of the Siren and save them in programming and accessible through the programs which allowed me to fully utilize all functions of the siren on command in my programs, with such flexibility that I could assign triggers/events to utilize any combination of volume/tone pattern.

When ISY supports multi-channel or the ability to send parameters to a Z-wave device on command, this will be fully functional and very useful.

The brown truck just dropped mine off and I am seeing the same thing.  I can see this being really handy in my ISY programs if/when the functionality is added.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can the siren be programmed for different alerts like.. Door Open...Motion etc. and can it be programmed for a short burst...eg, door opens and it gives out like a one second sound etc. I would like to use it for alerts rather that as a siren. If there are other devices out there i can get to accolplish this please let me know.

Thjx,

The various parameters for Z-Wave devices cannot be set nor changed by a program. Right click on the device for parameter settings. There are lists of what each setting does for each device. Aeon Labs Siren Gen5 parameters.

However, in 5.0.3 you can set Z-Wave parameters in a program. I don't think it would provide quite the speedy response you would need for an alert if you had to keep changing the parameters on the fly. Also, the only way to do a short beep is to turn it on then turn it off so you're at the mercy of the ISY's execution of program statements.

I'm kind of stuck with Admin Console right now. A bunch of programs don't show up in the 5.0.3 AC and the programs that call those missing programs show with errors. I'm reluctant to change anything because I'll have to hit "Save Programs" which I'm afraid might corrupt the system. Hopefully the 5.0.4 AC will fix this and I'll be able to experiment.

When I tried the different sounds by manually updating the parameters with 4.x I'm afraid I really didn't hear much difference between the options. If I remember correctly the only thing that sounded different was a beeping tone vs a continuous tone. It's mostly in the network as a repeater for the front door lock.

• 4 months later...

So it seems that there are no zwave/insteon components that can provide what i am looking for. That is, a chime or some sort of mild alert tone locally. Correct me if I am wrong.

I physically modified the Aeon Z-Wave siren to make it permanently quieter.    Took a couple of minutes, and a few cents worth of white Sugru.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I was about to post further questions on the Aeon Siren but many have been answered here.

It looks like I need to wait until 5.x is released for the ISY before I can send parameters to a zwave device.

Michal, is that right?  I can't resist asking - but any idea of an ETA?

Does anyone know how to securely add the Aeon Siren as a zwave device?  I had read that it would not be an effective repeater for locks without it being securely added so it can repeat the encrypted messaging.  Is that true?

Thanks.

Chicago

You can set zwave parameters using the ISY REST interface from within a program. You MUST have the ISY network resources addon. Your ISY must have a permanent IP address, either by setting it OR by using MAC-IP reserved addressing in your router.

See:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/20049-setting-z-wave-configuration-parameters-using-your-browser-rest/

Then from within your program you can set individual values within the network resource definition using variable substitution.

See:

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/21533-can-you-use-variable-substitution-in-a-network-resource/

This works with the 4.5.4 firmware level!

Also you might want to consider the aeotec doorbell instead of the siren. It lets you load .mp3 files to play anything you want and it has a nice Big Ben doorbell .mp3 builtin. It works as well as the siren as a repeater.

I tested changing the alert tone by sending a network resource to the ISY from itself, and it does work. For example, if your ISY994 is at 10.5.5.44 and the siren is device ZW013, then you would use this:

http://10.5.5.44/rest/zwave/node/ZW013_1/config/set/37/0x0502/2
The settings are in the "0x0502" section; change '05' to '04', the tone changes, replace change '02' with '03' and it gets louder. Even the lowest volume is quite loud, so I hacked it with a thin layer of sugru over the sound ports

Does anyone know how to securely add the Aeon Siren as a zwave device?  I had read that it would not be an effective repeater for locks without it being securely added so it can repeat the encrypted messaging.  Is that true?

Other Aeotec products you need to press the device's button twice instead of just once to do a secure join, but looking at the replies below, it seems the siren defaults to secure inclusion.

If you watch the ISY994 log messages while including the device, you'll see "Secure" show up as the device is added, look for lines like these:

Mon 02/27/2017 16:23:44 : Exchanging data with secure Z-Wave device 13 of type 4.16.1
Mon 02/27/2017 16:23:44 : Adding secure Z-Wave device

I already added the Siren (not securely)

I also have the Kwikset 916 Touchscreen.

Would you recommend me adding the Siren again?

Will I have to exclude the device and then include it again?

If I add it securely, will it be a repeater for both secure and insecure Z-Wave devices?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, what awesome responses!  Thank you!

I did file a ticket with Aeotec, they say repeaters don't need to be securely included as long as the ISY supports beam forming (does it?).  He also says the Siren always tries to add securely.  I did notice when I double clicked the action button when adding, it didn't exhibit any beeps or behavior change like I saw with the plugin on/off switches by Aeotec - so I'm wondering if there is a secure inclusion function by double clicking.

Unfortunately, I didn't turn the log viewer on when I added it - so I can't tell if it's secure.  I did find that my door that was farthest away seems responsive to ISY queries when it wasn't before adding the siren.

Is there any way to review old event logs (from a few hours ago)?

Here is the actual response I received from Aeotec - quit fast:

The repeater in general does not need to support encrypted signal, the main issue stems from a repeater device to support beaming in order to wake up the Door Lock to receive the command. If a repeater is unsecure and supports beaming, then it should work with door locks. Secure encryption and decryption are done at the source and at the destination of communication, the repeaters just pass on the information along without having to decrypt the message (which is why secure inclusion is not needed).

Typically the Siren Gen5 does support beaming as a Z-Wave Plus device, and through inclusion it will always try to add securely. If ISY supports secure inclusion, then the Siren Gen5 should have been paired securely already.

Cheers,
Chris Cheng
Field Application Engineer
Aeon Labs

The repeater in general does not need to support encrypted signal, the main issue stems from a repeater device to support beaming in order to wake up the Door Lock to receive the command. If a repeater is unsecure and supports beaming, then it should work with door locks. Secure encryption and decryption are done at the source and at the destination of communication, the repeaters just pass on the information along without having to decrypt the message

This is not the result my own experimentation showed with my Kwikset locks.

I had 3 Aeon repeaters, all properly on my aware network - distributed thru my house. My locks were highly unreliable - and it turned out that a secure signal will not be routed thru a repeater that does not negotiate security. This is documented in the Sigma documentation as well...

I removed the Aeon repeaters, and put one siren in the middle of my house. My locks have been flawless ever since.

There's no special technique for adding secure Z-Wave devices/repeaters to the ISY unless the manual for the specific device you are adding gives different information. If a Z-wave device is a secure device, then it will add as a secure device.

• 2 weeks later...

I added my aeotec sirens and tried tapping twice but they didn't seem to acknowledge the second tap - which is different behavior from the aeotec appliance on/off. The log said they were added securely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived