Teken

In the past I have been well known to be pretty critical about Google and how they try to monetize, track, and aggregate everything and everything they touch.

A few months ago this came on my radar and for the average person I believe some of the information and data is quite useful and remarkable.

Google has just started the *Project Sunroof* which in short is a web based service that shows how much sun exposure, orientation, and day light your roof can sustain.

The direct link to the site is here: https://www.google.com/get/sunroof#

The video that show cases what this service has to offer is presented here: 

I think how Google has been able to use existing satellite, maps, and Geo location information and couple it with 3rd party vendors is truly remarkable. I believe this is a perfect example of using current technology and information to its fullest extent.

Which offers the general masses insight normally not available.

Since this is just at a Alpha stage product there isn't much to see. But expect as they grow and expand the Project Sunroof those tools and views will be made available for all.

I still hold the view that Google is EVIL, but in this case what they are offering seems productive in a general sense.

I think how Google has been able to use existing satellite, maps, and Geo location information and couple it with 3rd party vendors is truly remarkable. I believe this is a perfect example of using current technology and information to its fullest extent.

Which offers the general masses insight normally not available.

Since this is just at a Alpha stage product there isn't much to see. But expect as they grow and expand the Project Sunroof those tools and views will be made available for all.

I still hold the view that Google is EVIL, but in this case what they are offering seems productive in a general sense.

Thanks Teken, I've been looking at solar for a while. There's not a lot of choices where I am right now, and the front of my house faces south. We weren't on the map either

They are evil.. Once we've come to depend on the service, they will sunset it (pardon the pun!)....

(Ex Google Reader user here.....)

Sunsetting google reader made me very unhappy. I went from yahoo's rss pages to newsgator to greader. Many happy years. then thppt. The replacement service does not cover my needs. Today I use Feedler on ios over bazqux as the rss aggregator. 

They are evil.. Once we've come to depend on the service, they will sunset it (pardon the pun!)....

(Ex Google Reader user here.....)

MWareman,

Oh don't even get me started on that as I totally agree.

I fully understand as a business you simply can not keep bank rolling a service that doesn't make money or fit in the business model. But, unlike other companies Google has their hands in many market sectors that *A Typically* does not make sense for 99.99% of business out there.

Make no mistake the bulk of what they do appears on the surface to be lets throw this out and see if it sticks. 

No . . .

There are two parts (general speaking) of Google, one being the Esoteric mad man that wants to dabble in anything and everything. The other part is focused, clear, concise about capturing every ounce of data about a person, place company, government, etc.

Never shall the two meet as they say . . .

Untrue . . .

As you noted many services and products were abandoned or killed off even when stats showed great promise and growth. From past forum posts from others who either worked at Google or have insider information via friends / family etc. The primary reason the bulk of these services were killed off is because the focused part of the company (at times) has more sway in what ultimately keeps operating which makes sense.

Its a business etc . . .

So, what do we have here is yet another *Mad Man* idea which I am afraid will gain traction and as you stated may be sun set at any point.

My view is if it makes money via 3rd party vendors this service has legs and will continue to operate etc. If not, this *Mad Man* project will once again be killed off.

Anybody seen the new Terminator movie? They describe Google exactly the way it currently  is and continue to explain how it became Skynet, the human extinction machine. 

Very scary and yet comedic , as they use the name Genisys with a big "G".  It's pretty clear who they are talking about by the descriptions of services.

Anybody seen the new Terminator movie? They describe Google exactly the way it currently is and continue to explain how it became Skynet, the human extinction machine.

Very scary and yet comedic , as they use the name Genisys with a big "G". It's pretty clear who they are talking about by the descriptions of services.

Just saw it and have to tell you it was pretty good very surprised.

I also agree Google is closer to SkyNET each and every day that pasts.

I know lots of people blow this sort of talk off as paranoid etc. But consider they own and are involved with military combat robotics, has a ever growing Internet ISP service.

Their browser is being used by 70% of the world population which tracks all searches, Ads, etc.

They host one of the largest mail server services in the world and they read all your mail which is relayed to the USA government via the Prism program.

Their OS is on millions of devices from TV, phones, computers, tablets, embedded services.

Consider the wide reach and breath of this access.

Lastly, consider their ability to match face, voice, geo location, images.

By 2020 Google will be tapped in and connected to more than 85% of all systems from planes, cars, appliances, banks, government, POCO distribution.

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

Archived