Logs

MustangChris04

• 1 month later...

Thanks Michael. 

Teken, ideally I would want to be able to capture logs without leaving the java console open 24/7 on my server. Either saving those to the ISY's SD card or somewhere else for retrieval later. The syslog was a suggestion. Some of my other network devices report their logs to my server using this standard, and others have an option to set a debug level and it will be recorded, regardless of having to be logged into the interface. I understand it takes resources, but this should be a decision the end user should make to enable. 

The reason being is that I will randomly have something behave in a way it isn't supposed to, such as a random light was on, or something on a schedule didn't run. Sometimes I have to play investigator to find out it was something my wife did, but other times there is no explanation. Although this rarely happens, I'm never able to get to the bottom of it because I don't leave the java console open. 

Hi Michael, 

Yes, I've taken a look a the log, and you are correct in that it does show the status of a device at any given point. But the status it shows is what the status should "theoretically" to be. If there was some type of communication issue or other factor preventing the device from responding correctly, the log would still show the status of the device as if it responded correctly.  This was something that I mentioned in a prior post which sparked me to want to run debug logs 24/7: http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/16539-program-ran-but-scene-not-triggered/

Archived