Replaced Failed PLM, Now only direct commands work

Chance

Hello all,

I've recently replaced a failed PLM with a new one. I powered off the ISY, removed the old one, and installed the new one. I then let it power up and and use the Restore Modem function and wait for it to crawl the network.

Something is very wrong now. Scenes executed by the ISY fail to be heard by any device. Wireless devices (Motion) don't show status (and constantly blink red when motion happens, they don't normally blink). Their status' won't update automatically either.

I've used the Restore Devices function on all devices, but still the issue persists. I can't seem to get them "fully connected to the mother-ship" it seems.

Direct queries work, getting status correctly returns the status. Turning a device on or off works. 

I'm running out of efficient ideas to work with, I thought I'd reach out and see if this sounds like I'm missing something obvious here, or if I'm going to need to start over.

-Chance

Was a Delete Modem (PLM) issued?

What is the Firmware level?    (Help | About)

What is the UI level?

Thanks for the reply,

Yes, Delete Modem PLM was issued

Firmware and UI are both v.4.2.30

Something more to add, if I look at the existing scenes, none of the slider bars appear. However if I create a new scene, the bars are visible, and it works as expected.

If I remove and re-link (removing existing links) a wireless device, it will register properly.

I may just end up redoing my scenes and wireless devices. Not *that* bad.

-Chance

A Delete Modem (PLM) should never be issued.  

It removes the PLM information from the ISY and all the devices.  Doing a Restore Modem (PLM) has nothing functional to add to the new PLM nor any of the devices as that information was removed by the Delete Modem (PLM).   That is why Direct commands work (they do not use link information) and Scenes do not work.

Restore an ISY Backup that was taken before the Delete Modem (PLM).   That will restore the PLM information in the ISY.  Then do a File | Restore Devices to rebuild new PLM and all the devices with the new PLM information.

Restore an ISY Backup that was taken before the Delete Modem (PLM).   That will restore the PLM information in the ISY.  Then do a File | Restore Devices to rebuild new PLM and all the devices with the new PLM information.

I originally did not do a Delete Modem. I only did that this afternoon out of desperation. I restored from a backup from earlier today and once it was done and initialized the devices, I tested and observed same results.

I did a "Restore Devices" and waited for it to crawl the network. Tested and observed the same results.

I'm going to keep working at it, I must have overlooked something.

Thanks again for your advice!

-Chance

I originally did not do a Delete Modem. I only did that this afternoon out of desperation. I restored from a backup from earlier today and once it was done and initialized the devices, I tested and observed same results.

I did a "Restore Devices" and waited for it to crawl the network. Tested and observed the same results.

I'm going to keep working at it, I must have overlooked something.

Thanks again for your advice!

-Chance

Do you have a slightly earlier backup to use?  The one you used likely was created during your issues.

Jon..

Do you have a slightly earlier backup to use?  The one you used likely was created during your issues.

Jon..

Hi all,

Just to wrap this up, I ultimately ended up restoring from a backup in May. After restoring from backup, everything began to work as it should (as it was a few months ago anyways)

That did the trick.

So again, the theme of this issue is. Backup. Backup. Back it up.

Thanks again for all your help!

-Chance

I had a bad PLM and have replaced it. After replacing (per above suggested protocols) All I ended up with were a bunch of devices reporting an assortment of errors. I tried various permutations of deleting and adding with no luck before I resorted to a factory reset of my ISY-994. Now I've re-linked all of the devices but have one OutletLinc that reports "unable to determine Insteon engine" or "unable to determine Insteon type." Prior to the PLM failure everything worked just fine and this outlet is the closest one to the PLM on the network, so it's quite frustrating. Any suggestions?

I had a bad PLM and have replaced it. After replacing (per above suggested protocols) All I ended up with were a bunch of devices reporting an assortment of errors. I tried various permutations of deleting and adding with no luck before I resorted to a factory reset of my ISY-994. Now I've re-linked all of the devices but have one OutletLinc that reports "unable to determine Insteon engine" or "unable to determine Insteon type." Prior to the PLM failure everything worked just fine and this outlet is the closest one to the PLM on the network, so it's quite frustrating. Any suggestions?

What's the model of your ISY and what firmware version do you have installed?

994i - firmware 4.2.30 (April 2, 2015) which is the most recent final release available.

If you have anything plugged into the Outletlinc I would remove it . Being that it was working before the PLM replacement you may want to try a factory reset on the Outletlinc then a restore device. 

If you have anything plugged into the Outletlinc I would remove it . Being that it was working before the PLM replacement you may want to try a factory reset on the Outletlinc then a restore device. 

What is the procedure to do a factory reset on an OutletLinc 2473? I can't find that documented anywhere, only for the 2663. My one major gripe with Insteon is woeful documentation.

This Google query brought up the manual with the directions

insteon 2473 pdf factory

I hadn't tried that permutation, thanks. Silly me thinking this document would be on the Insteon website.  :-) 

Soft reset gives the same results (cannot determine Insteon engine) I'll have to get help and try the circuit breaker method.

I have to agree that the new web site is annoying in that regard. There's an assumed knowledge about insteon vs smarthome vs Google.

Sometimes I have to add devices with the set button and that gets around it. And outletlincs do have to be power cycled sometimes. Maybe try the set button add first?

What is the procedure to do a factory reset on an OutletLinc 2473? I can't find that documented anywhere, only for the 2663. My one major gripe with Insteon is woeful documentation.

Here's the link to the Insteon Manuals  http://www.insteon.com/support/#documentation

Factory Reset

The factory reset procedure clears all settings from OutletLinc, including INSTEON links, on-levels, ramp rates, X10 addresses, etc.

1) If possible, remove all scene memberships prior to performing the factory reset.

2) Turn off circuit breaker.

3) Press and hold OutletLinc’s Set button. Do not let go.

4) Have a friend turn on the circuit breaker.

As you continue to press and hold, OutletLinc will begin to emit a long beep.

5) When beep stops, release Set button.

The OutletLinc LED will turn on solid green and then turn off. After a few seconds, OutletLinc will double-beep. LED state depends upon other factors (see the LED status table for more information).

I have to agree that the new web site is annoying in that regard. There's an assumed knowledge about insteon vs smarthome vs Google.

Sometimes I have to add devices with the set button and that gets around it. And outletlincs do have to be power cycled sometimes. Maybe try the set button add first?

Still no joy with the set button or anything else. Looks like a hard reset is the only option remaining at this point. I should be able to give that a try tomorrow. Thanks all for the help so far, I'll let you know how it works out. I want to add another OutletLinc on the same circuit, so I'll take care of that while the breaker is thrown.

Archived