Echo and Insteon ISY Devices?

Vanhalo

If you can't have "Isy" or "Izzy", I'd try to get creative. "My home" just doesn't sound that great.

Some suggestions (all should be common-enough English words):

• Data (my personal favorite for a home automation 'helper')
  • Eve
  • Crow

After seeing this post, we got an Echo today. Hopefully the ISY integration will be done in a few weeks.

"Alexa, Ask Data to run program 'basement lights off'"

... It actually doesn't sound that bad. :)

Benoit,

With regard to your Question on the HUE bridge and the "emulator"

The original version of the emulation of the HUE bridge (page 1 of the very long thread on this forum) has been greatly enhanced over time with the newer version discussed starting at about page 16

The newer version of the emulator is now called "HA Bridge" and was developed by BWS Systems (bwssystems.com).  The latest version (1.2.2) now can send commands to the "Mi Casa" system by Vera, The ISY system by UDI (the one we all know and love), and to the Logitech Harmony Hub.  It runs on any JAVA machine and has been loaded onto RPi's by many people since, like the Real HUE hub and the ISY, it must be on 24/7. About $40 buys you a fully capable RPi-2 with all the software you need free off the Internet.

My contribution was the configuration system (AWS_Config.exe) which runs on a Windows system. It queries The ISY for its full configuration (devices, scenes, programs) and provides a drag and drop interface to populate the HA Bridge with the data need to control the item (Device, Scene, program) on the ISY. It allows the selection of the Device name or the notes/spoken field of a device or scene, or any desired friendly name to be used for what is spoken by the Echo user to Alexa.  The HA Bridge did not know about the ISY.  he Configurator is only needed when you want to add/delete/update the ISY devices on the HA Bridge.

The article at the makers site is very informative regarding the principles behind an Amazon Connected device.  The Philips HUE hub was chosen for emulation because the Echo/HUE api was available.

Hope that helps explain what many are talking about. 

Archived