Pulsating LEDs

stusviews

The LED brightness is set to low values every night and restored in the morning. There are 10 devices involved in changing the LED brightness, the On/Off KPL that pulsates, one SwitchLinc relay, two KPL dimmers and six SwitchLinc dimmers.

I'm on v.4.3.10 Firmware and UI. The ISY is a 994i Pro with an added network and Z-Wave modules. I'll probably update to 4.3.20 later today.

This really appears to be a combination of problems. Something weird inside the devices and a grid power disturbance setting it off. The only thing I can think of that vein is that with less daytime load the disturbance is absorbed by load more during the day. Of course would you see the flashing during the day, anyway? Have to walk the neighbourhood at night with your ears open for strange machine sounds.  Stu the Night Stalker :)

PV Panels in neighbourhood?  Alt energy inverters creating noisy power when the  batteries get low in voltage? 

Did you indicate you tried a factory reset? If not, I would do it on only one device to know for sure it worked, while the others indicate it's happening.

After the v5.0.2 upgrade I would recommend it. Most is fixed and smooth.

The LED brightness is set to low values every night and restored in the morning. There are 10 devices involved in changing the LED brightness, the On/Off KPL that pulsates, one SwitchLinc relay, two KPL dimmers and six SwitchLinc dimmers.

I'm on v.4.3.10 Firmware and UI. The ISY is a 994i Pro with an added network and Z-Wave modules. I'll probably update to 4.3.20 later today.

If the problem persists after the firmware update then I would try disabling (pull the power)  one device at a time to eliminate the possibility of spurious data being sent out from a device.

The fact that you have several devices involved, most in close proximity to one another makes me think it's either a device or something on the power line assuming that all the devices involved are on the same power line leg.

On ALL of my devices, the beacon test flashes the Set Button LED not the Button or Paddle LEDs.  Has something changed in a newer firmware?

-Xathros

Stu-

Do you have any older Access Points?  I have had 2 develop bad PSU's and do odd things on their way out.  Maybe you have one performing a beacon test as it's death dance.

-Xathros

When I do a 4 tap beacon test the only led that blinks on the KPL is the one on the power switch.

On ALL of my devices, the beacon test flashes the Set Button LED not the Button or Paddle LEDs.  Has something changed in a newer firmware?

-Xathros

When I do a 4 tap beacon test the only led that blinks on the KPL is the one on the power switch.

This KPL was the first generation of the dual band relay which I will need to get the firmware / hardware revision. Anyways, this is how they react when the 4 tap (beacon) test is initiated. The SWL also blink the bottom LED and the problem I was trying to determine was *Is it same phase - opposite phase*

Those who have the newer dual colored LED's are in great shape!

For those like me and anyone with legacy products its quite the bear to figure out the expected behavior. The QSG and full users manual also (sometimes) are not very clear on this aspect because older PDF manuals seem to go poof!

NOTE: The original link was incorrect. I have since added the correct resource link above.

Stu-

Do you have any older Access Points?  I have had 2 develop bad PSU's and do odd things on their way out.  Maybe you have one performing a beacon test as it's death dance.

-Xathros

That was my idea at first but he has three devices doing it in the video.

Maybe Stu remembers some lightning shot close to his heart that may have damaged PS in the three in that box? That was when my first Switchlinc started flashing to Insteon traffic. A factory reset and going to another PC that can accept the option changes to the Tx LED fixed that. :) I can't get access to the bottom buttons on my Netbook.

In the event you missed it in my previous posts, here's a brief summary:

The errant KPL is a 2487S, v.41 in 8-button mode. Some devices sometimes blink in unison, some don't. Which ones do or don't is not consistent. Some devices that react are on the same circuit, some are not. That doesn't seem to matter. I did perform a factory reset--twice--to no avail. The pulsating LED's are not the same as the response to the 4-tap test. I've never seen LED buttons respond to the beacon test, only the set LED.

BTW, I no longer have any Access Points/Range Extenders. If the 4-tap test is any indication, then the nearly 100 installed dual-band devices seem to be doing their job even though most, but not all, are installed in metal boxes.

In the event you missed it in my previous posts, here's a brief summary:

The errant KPL is a 2487S, v.41 in 8-button mode. Some devices sometimes blink in unison, some don't. Which ones do or don't is not consistent. Some devices that react are on the same circuit, some are not. That doesn't seem to matter. I did perform a factory reset--twice--to no avail. The pulsating LED's are not the same as the response to the 4-tap test. I've never seen LED buttons respond to the beacon test, only the set LED.

BTW, I no longer have any Access Points/Range Extenders. If the 4-tap test is any indication, then the nearly 100 installed dual-band devices seem to be doing their job even though most, but not all, are installed in metal boxes.

I gather you didn't watch my video because it mimics exactly what is happening on your side?

Ideals are peaceful - History is violent

Teken, I just did and it does. And, like mine, it's a relay in 8-button mode. So, I tried the 4-tap test and the button LED's did blink when the devices were on opposite legs of the split, single-phase electric supply. But the 4-tap test was not initiated at the other times I observed the blinking--especially not at 3 or 5 in the morning.

Ok. So there is a beacon test running on its own. Next step is to id the sender. Since the sender also blinks during the test, it must be one of the blinking devices. Unplug or air gap them one at a time with at least 5 seconds in between till you find the sender.

-Xathros

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

The pulsating stopped. So did the functioning of the secondary buttons. I (finally) replaced the On/Off KPL with an older on I found in my spare parts box--now that I found my spare parts box B)

Archived