Dont own an Echo (yet) but have Mobilinc

RichTJ99

Hi,

I am a little confused by the email that came today.  If I want to get an echo (which I think I do), how does that impact my mobilinc usage?  Would it still work?

Is there a downside of using a cloud server for mobilinc (not a feature I use).  Does any of this impact my local network usage of the ISY network applications?  I have a device that when activated sends makes XMPC play a mp3 & I wouldnt want to lose that.

Thanks,

Rich

Do you use the Mobilinc Portal service (called 'Mobilinc Connect')? It's purchased as a subscription within the Mobilinc app.

If not, you won't lose anything by adding the ISY portal and hooking it up to Alexa. You can keep using the Mobilinc application directly to ISY just fine, but you may have faster SSL response times by reconfiguring the Mobilinc app to use the ISY Portal instead of the direct connection.

If you do use 'Mobilinc Connect' with the Mobilinc app, then it will stop working when you change to the ISY Portal - since only one Portal can be active on an ISY. You'll have to reconfigure the Mobilinc app to use a new URL - and if you use IOS there are some Mobilinc IOS-only features you will lose (like push notifications). If on Android - there are no features lost by switching to ISY Portal.

No other features are impacted - like XBMC integration thru the network module. That will keep on working.

Hi,

I just put my ISP IP & port into the App for it to work.  It sounds like this wont impact that service at all.  Do people like having the echo turn lights on & off?  

Can you have multiple echos in your house for different locations?

Thanks,

Rich

I like the ability to use Echo to turn lights on and off as do many others it appears by the various posts in the forums. We have two Echos and a Fire TV in our house that we use with the same ISY.

We have multiple Echos, but they all respond to the same ISY commands. OTOH, each Echo can play different songs concurrently. The Fire TVs are also independent (e.g., different movies at the same time) B)

• 2 weeks later...

Do you use the Mobilinc Portal service (called 'Mobilinc Connect')? It's purchased as a subscription within the Mobilinc app.

If not, you won't lose anything by adding the ISY portal and hooking it up to Alexa. You can keep using the Mobilinc application directly to ISY just fine, but you may have faster SSL response times by reconfiguring the Mobilinc app to use the ISY Portal instead of the direct connection.

If you do use 'Mobilinc Connect' with the Mobilinc app, then it will stop working when you change to the ISY Portal - since only one Portal can be active on an ISY. You'll have to reconfigure the Mobilinc app to use a new URL - and if you use IOS there are some Mobilinc IOS-only features you will lose (like push notifications). If on Android - there are no features lost by switching to ISY Portal.

No other features are impacted - like XBMC integration thru the network module. That will keep on working.

I'm also considering an Echo and am currently using Mobilinc Connect.  When you said you lose push notifications, do mean notifications generated by the Mobilinc App, for example the Geofence notifications?  What other features are lost?

Thanks,

Tim

I'm also considering an Echo and am currently using Mobilinc Connect. When you said you lose push notifications, do mean notifications generated by the Mobilinc App, for example the Geofence notifications? What other features are lost?

Thanks,

Tim

That's really a question for Wes. I've never had IOS specific features so I don't know. As an Android user myself, nothing was lost (because Mobilinc on Android also dosn't support the Mobilinc Connect specific features that Mobilinc on IOS supports).

What I do know is that for push notifications to work at all, and intermediate server is required. That's what the Connect Portal does - acts as an intermediate. So yes, I believe you would lose in-app push notifications.

However, Pushover is coming to the ISY Portal soon-ish (we are told) - so you could add the Pushover client to your i-device and get notifications that way as a replacement.

I'm also considering an Echo and am currently using Mobilinc Connect.  When you said you lose push notifications, do mean notifications generated by the Mobilinc App, for example the Geofence notifications?  What other features are lost?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim, I use Mobilinc without using Connect.  I think the main function of Connect is to find your ISY if your ISP changes your IP address. The ISY Portal should take care of that.

Geofence notifications work without Connect. I'm not sure about other notifications.

• 1 month later...

Hi - I am trying to get my echo setup with the ISy.IO portal but i am stuck.  I have the mobilinc portal online & registered - it is not something I use to connect my ISY to my mobilinc app.  I dont know how to delete that portal so I can add the echo.  

You need to send in a service request along with the UUID (Help > About) to remove Mobilinc Connect.

http://www.universal...ontact-support/

Jon...