How to switch one of two inputs.

G W

I have a rather unique problem and I'd like to know how YOU would solve it.

I have an attic fan that has a two speed motor that is powered by two inputs. The speed depends on which lead has the power.

The builder installed two switches to control the unit.

Switch A supplies the main power to the fan and sends power to Switch.

Switch B is a three-way switch and one each position sends power to the fan.

Turn on switch A and the fan is on. Switch B controls the speed.

I have replace Switch A with an Insteon ShitchLinc 2477S.  I'm not exactly sure how I want to replace the three-way switch, so I'm appreciate your ideas and suggestions.

What happens when power is applied to BOTH inputs?  Is there any risk here were that to happen accidentally?

A couple of micro modules (one for each input) and a switchlinc?  Use a program to rotate between each Input when switchlinc is toggled ON?

Since Insteon does not make a ready to go SPDT relay switch, my thought is to use a second 2477S that activates a SPDT 120vac relay to switch the power leg.

When the second switch is on the motor will be in high power.

Turning the first switch off will tell the second switch to turn off. That way the fan always starts up at the Los speed.

My other option is to physically alter the second switch.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

I indicated that it was misnamed. Electricians refer to line voltage as "low voltage" as opposed to high tension (distribution) wires. The module is a line voltage device. I don't know why SH chose that terminology. I'll ask that it be changed, maybe no one else has.

I indicated that it was misnamed. Electricians refer to line voltage as "low voltage" as opposed to high tension (distribution) wires. The module is a line voltage device. I don't know why SH chose that terminology. I'll ask that it be changed, maybe no one else has.

My apologies, Stu. I just woke up from a nap when I read your message. I should have realized you wouldn't suggest an item it it wasn't what I wanted.

I'm trying to do too much in too little time. I am going to Saigon on August 4th for at least 6 weeks and I am trying to get this house in order.

I really need some adult supervision.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

I replaced a very old gable fan with a similar 2 speed version.  I used 2 inline lincs, and capped off all wiring that controlled it directly. 

Its controlled by keypad lincs and remotelinc via Scenes that turn one on and the other off so they can't be on at the same time. If that did happen for some reason like an all on (which has yet to happen to me) there is a program that catches that and defaults to one of the speeds.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Archived