Alexa and the FanLinc

TheFallenAngel

Guys, please share your successful use of spokens when it comes to control the scenes relates to Off, Low, Medium, High of the FanLinc please :)

Cheers,

Alex

I've not experimented a lot with the FanLinc. However, I'm able to tell Alexa to turn the fan on to wanted fan speed by saying turn on the fan name and then the desired speed. The only way I seem to be able to turn off the fan is to tell Aleax to turn on fan name off. 

I've not experimented a lot with the FanLinc. However, I'm able to tell Alexa to turn the fan on to wanted fan speed by saying turn on the fan name and then the desired speed. The only way I seem to be able to turn off the fan is to tell Aleax to turn on fan name off.

But you are setting it as a device this way, not a scene.. Which doesn't update your KPL..

Cheers,

Alex

But you are setting it as a device this way, not a scene.. Which doesn't update your KPL..

Cheers,

Alex

I control each fan speed and off with scenes. The KPL buttons update with each change made with Alexa.

That's great - would you share your spokens and how you avoid Alexa's "found several devices with the sane name" issue?

Cheers,

Alex

I have not been able to avoid the  "found several devices with the sane name"  with this. I have not experimented much with different names either.

I use four scenes (high, medium, low & off). The spokens are "fan high,"fan medium," "fan low," and "fan," respectively. A typical command is, "Alexa, turn the fan medium on." Note that off does not use and adjective.

If the spoken is "fan hi," or "fan high," then "fan on high" won't work. A command can occur before or after a spoken, but not in between.

BTW, I agree with your wife, it's awkward to say, "fan high on", but it works.

If the spoken is "fan hi," or "fan high," then "fan on high" won't work. A command can occur before or after a spoken, but not in between.

BTW, I agree with your wife, it's awkward to say, "fan high on", but it works.

Have you tried spoken "fan on high" so "Alexa turn on fan on high" would work?

Cheers,

Alex

I have a device named "Downstairs Fan"

I can say:

"Alexa, turn on Downstairs fan" -> High

"Alexa, turn on Downstairs fan to 51-99%" -> Medium

"Alexa, turn on Downstairs fan to 1-50%" -> Low

"Alexa, turn off Downstairs fan" -> Off

Out of habit, I use On/66/33/Off since it's easy to remember.

I have separate programs that track the speed of the fan.  They wait 5 seconds, then call the scene the corresponds to the speed the fan it running. This way KPL buttons sync (with a short delay).

I have a device named "Downstairs Fan"

I can say:

"Alexa, turn on Downstairs fan" -> High

"Alexa, turn on Downstairs fan to 51-99%" -> Medium

"Alexa, turn on Downstairs fan to 1-50%" -> Low

"Alexa, turn off Downstairs fan" -> Off

Out of habit, I use On/66/33/Off since it's easy to remember.

I have separate programs that track the speed of the fan. They wait 5 seconds, then call the scene the corresponds to the speed the fan it running. This way KPL buttons sync (with a short delay).

Interesting approach! Alexa controls the device directly, then a program triggers the proper scene based on the device status..

Cheers,

Alex

Interesting approach! Alexa controls the device directly, then a program triggers the proper scene based on the device status..

Cheers,

Alex

i chose to do that since it's way less entries in the ISY portal, and I can use the regular controls in mobile apps, while still keeping KPLs in sync.

Archived