Philips Hue 3rd Generation coming October 4th!

rafarataneneces

It isn't some quirk or laziness on Philips part that they don't do this. Any $2 LED bulb on Amazon has non-volatile memory that retains its state. Phillips has chosen, for one reason or another, to reset the bulb to standard brightness and color temp when you flip the switch. They've left it that way through several generations of bulbs. I don't know why exactly, but they've decided its better for the way their bulbs are used.

I use my switch to reset my bulbs to standard all the time...I would be able to Live with it if I didn't have that feature, but I don't hate it.

I don't think you really WANT it to be easy and convenient for your bulb to be disconnected from power. If its disconnected, it can no longer be controlled remotely.

I personally like that it reverts back to white.  My wife could care less for Home Automation, so when she flips the switch, she wants to see something, that wouldn't work well if it would remember the last scene as sometimes I have a dim multicolored scheme.  It's up to me to control my lights and change scenes without disturbing her ability to get light.

The issue is not just that it doesn't remember the color. It doesn't remember the power state either. There are many posts on many forums from people complaining that every time they have the occasional 1 second power outage in the middle of the night, they wake up to having all their hue lights on at full brightness glaring in their face.

I hate how Edison invented the light bulb so when you use a switch it turns on/off and now Philips says 'keep the lights always on and never use a switch unless it's the cheap switch we sell'

at what point it's okay to lose that feature that humans have used for almost 200 years

Don't use them. Especially if you think 130 is almost 200.

Short and to the point.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Don't use them. Especially if you think 130 is almost 200.

Short and to the point.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

I knew you would be an *** when you answer.

Your attitude is that of an insecure perso always trying to make other people look bad.

I researched before posting.

Do you want the seconds before the first bulb came on? asshole

Your attitude is that of an insecure perso always trying to make other people look bad.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Short and to the point.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Well, if they had an ISY they could fix that on power restore.

Short and to the point.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

It would still take at a minimum several seconds of having the lights on at full brightness in the middle of your sleep until the ISY gets to send the command to turn it off on startup.

What I have also noticed sometimes with those real short power outages for milli seconds, that's it's enough to reset my alarm clock and effect some electronics but not others. In such cases the ISY would not lose power either and wouldn't even know that there was a power outage. So in such cases I wouldn't even be able to rely on the ISY to run programs at startup.

It would still take at a minimum several seconds of having the lights on at full brightness in the middle of your sleep until the ISY gets to send the command to turn it off on startup.

What I have also noticed sometimes with those real short power outages for milli seconds, that's it's enough to reset my alarm clock and effect some electronics but not others. In such cases the ISY would not lose power either and wouldn't even know that there was a power outage. So in such cases I wouldn't even be able to rely on the ISY to run programs at startup.

I guess that's another reason to avoid the Hue lighting. There are just so many products that out preform the Hue that I'm surprised people still buy them.

Short and to the point.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Despite popular belief, this forum is normally self moderated and personal attacks and calling some one a asshole isn't tolerated. When someone challenges you on a topic, subject matter, response, it would be to your benefit to reply back with supporting facts which bolster your position.

You have entered a forum where many of the user are extremely intelligent, high thinking, and often times have a off color sense of humor.

Writings are normally taken out of context when other means of communicating inflection such as emoticons are not used. I would suggest you take some time to consider why you are here - how you will contribute - and how much learning you wish to do.

At the current pace you are at its like watching someone trying to fly fish with a brick attached.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Short and to the point.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Now Garry, your supposed to be drinking umbrella drinks and basking in the sun. Not prodding others to quicksand in hopes of a few moments of pleasure.

LOL . . .

Despite popular belief, this forum is normally self moderated and personal attacks and calling some one a asshole isn't tolerated. When someone challenges you on a topic, subject matter, response, it would be to your benefit to reply back with supporting facts which bolster your position.

You have entered a forum where many of the user are extremely intelligent, high thinking, and often times have a off color sense of humor.

Writings are normally taken out of context when other means of communicating inflection such as emoticons are not used. I would suggest you take some time to consider why you are here - how you will contribute - and how much learning you wish to do.

At the current pace you are at its like watching someone trying to fly fish with a brick attached.

Now Garry, your supposed to be drinking umbrella drinks and basking in the sun. Not prodding others to quicksand in hopes of a few moments of pleasure.

LOL . . .

Thanks for your words, Teken.

As far as being called an a**hole, that's bothers me none. I fully admit it, I have no problem with it. In fact, I embrace the fact and live with it. All my friends know I am and the also know I am honest and that they can depend on me above all others.

I'm enjoying the time with my wife and her family. I have but seven days left in Saigon and then back to Denver. It's been a wonderful visit and I have much to do to prepare for my next visit. I need to work on a automatic gate opener for my father-in-law.

On the other hand out subject has shown me that what I write on this forum matters to him. It's nice to know he looks forward to reading me.

Short and to the point.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

Thanks for your words, Teken.

As far as being called an a**hole, that's bothers me none. I fully admit it, I have no problem with it. In fact, I embrace the fact and live with it. All my friends know I am and the also know I am honest and that they can depend on me above all others.

I'm enjoying the time with my wife and her family. I have but seven days left in Saigon and then back to Denver. It's been a wonderful visit and I have much to do to prepare for my next visit. I need to work on a automatic gate opener for my father-in-law.

On the other hand out subject has shown me that what I write on this forum matters to him. It's nice to know he looks forward to reading me.

Short and to the point.

Best regards,

Gary Funk

LOL . . .

I have five Hue bulbs Four originals and one Bloom.

I am impressed with the interface but the colour rendering is horrific. The Bloom, OTOH is very nice with full colours.

This factor alone with the Hue products not even putting out the same light colours is a PITA.

As stated the interface is very well done but the power up at fill white brightness is just a step back into the 1980's following the X10 philosophy, attempting to compensate for users not having switch initiators to control them.

I understand Insteon bulbs have got around this staring into 500 Watts worth of white light in the middle of a good night's sleep by offering a option to work either way. So far I have avoided any white smart bulbs except for the MiLight RBWW bulbs. I wanted the colours not the white bulbs or I would have gone and bought some cheaper white LED bulbs.

...and I don't control my bulbs and lighting with some app that I have to find my cell phone, log-in, boot the app and operate the bulb. So 1990s. Cool for the first 3 operations and then I grew up.

This is about Home Automation, not operating lights by some weird remote control form of switch.

When I do use a switch, it's a SwitchLinc dimmer and my ISY knows about all its types of commands and turns on the selected settings of light arrays. With a selection of about 15 variations for the room.

Yes you can do a lot with 18 different bulbs under ISY control. When I double tap the SwitchLinc at the top or say

"Alexa, turn on fill lights"

you can feel the nuclear radiation warmth, coming from about 300 watts of white LED light. :)

Thank Gawd for ISY, but for ISY to power up and turn off the glaring  Hue bulbs, in the middle of the night, takes a good 5-10 minutes. Sure glad I don't sleep in that room!  I may start to have nightmares I am in an operating room where something is being removed. WAF might be high there. :)

Rant done!

I would have thought a company like Phillips would have at least made the behavior adjustable. For those who like the return to white or full on when power is restored, great.

For those who like return to *Last known State* this offers the best operational use . . . It should be noted that both Insteon bulbs can be adjusted to last known state vs full on.

Unfortunately no one seems to care enough to program the system to take advantage of this option.

Hue never designed their bulbs to be used with regular switches. They were designed to be used with their app and other automation technologies. It's not their fault when someone uses them outside the way that they were designed. It does suck in the case of a power outage but at the same time how often is that?

I feel automation is a life adjustment. In some ways you have to learn a new way of doing things. If you're going to continue with the same methods what's the point! In the end whether it's investing in hue's switches for manual control or (in the time) to program an insteon/or zwave switch, do it right or don't do it.

Hue never designed their bulbs to be used with regular switches. They were designed to be used with their app and other automation technologies. It's not their fault when someone uses them outside the way that they were designed. It does suck in the case of a power outage but at the same time how often is that?

I feel automation is a life adjustment. In some ways you have to learn a new way of doing things. If you're going to continue with the same methods what's the point! In the end whether it's investing in hue's switches for manual control or (in the time) to program an insteon/or zwave switch, do it right or don't do it.

That what the power on feature was designed in for, regular switch operation, same as the X10 modules were.

This is so people don't have to use some  app on a cell phone, but rather can enter a room, and flick the switch off and then back on again, to get normal bright white lighting. This way, real people, without the neck problems, can use them too.

They didn't make the lights come on with a power outage as a feature. It was a bad side effect they didn't know how to avoid without more engineering time. The price is already ridiculous.

My Hue bulbs run off an Insteon SwitchLinc Dimmer.

Several points made in this thread are right on with my experience and overall thoughts on automation and Hue lights in particular.

1) The color rendition on the original Hue bulbs suck, I use mainly the shades of white or very subdued colors in scenes.

2) A light must be able to be switched on and come on at either full brightness or a pre set level of your choice from a wall switch. This is an absolute requirement for the WAF in my house. I also use insteon switches to control the two rooms I use Hue lights in, these trigger network resources to set The Hue lights as required. I agree that the Hue lights should have an option on this point, but because of the above it doesn't bother me.

3) The Hue api has been getting better with every release for the diy home automation fan, the addition of scene control has greatly reduced the amount of network resources to create complex color schemes that change quickly and smoothly.

4) The ISY is the tool that has enabled me to automate diverse technologies together so that they appear seamless to other people.

If you buy LIFX then all your problems can be resolved.

No need for ISY or Network Resources or changing previous wall outlets and re-wiring them.

People defend Philips even though it clearly is more of a hassle than a solution.

Yup, the bulbs change colors, other than that it's a major pain in the ***.

I use LIFX and I have pre-set brightness and colors based on circadian.

It's awesome and works great.

And mom and girlfriend can use the standard switches, no problem.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anybody has bought the Philips Hue 3rd Generation yet?

it was supposed to be released yesterday

Just bought a Gen 3 Starter Color Kit.   Colors are great, never had the other 2 gen's.... But I've done a lot of LED color lighting for DMX controls and these are very good next to my DMX pro stuff.

I thought the hub had WiFi built in --- it does not, you need a LAN connection to support it's LAN-->ZIGBEE network, even though there is a WIFI logo on the bottom -- no idea why.

It does default to a warm white light when turned on, does not remember color when turned off.   Not sure what others did, but it always defaults to warm white 100% when turned on.

Hope to work with ISY and get the bulbs working with my Insteon switches for scene control.   Right now they are just a fun "toy".   I don't plan to spend $50/bulb outfitting the house when I already have 60+ insteon switches, although I can see how this technology is taking off, since it really is that easy to deploy and it does work well with apple home kit, first time I've used such an interface and really like it.

Just bought a Gen 3 Starter Color Kit.   Colors are great, never had the other 2 gen's.... But I've done a lot of LED color lighting for DMX controls and these are very good next to my DMX pro stuff.

I thought the hub had WiFi built in --- it does not, you need a LAN connection to support it's LAN-->ZIGBEE network, even though there is a WIFI logo on the bottom -- no idea why.

<snippage>

Many companies do that, especially on ebay and aliexpress adverts. It's just plain scamming using people's confusion and lack of knowledge against them to sell product.

Who is going to take them on legally, when they live on the ther side of the world.

Archived