Transient Comm Problem

So we get up the other morning and half my system is not working right, red exclamations and error boxes all over the place.

Seems like I've been here before.  Didn't add any noisy devices, cannot seem to find any cause.  I've learned in the past, when something like this happens, don't freak out and start troubleshooting right away, it may just 'go away'.

Sure enough, a day later everything is working perfectly again.

Has anyone else had this experience and figured out what may have caused it?  Noise in the neighborhood?  Sunspots :-P  ?  

Hi jgcharlotte,

Is this INSTEON or Z-Wave or both?

If INSTEON, do you have any INSTEON thermostats, older INSTEON Access Points/SingaLincs, SwitchLinc version 35, KeypadLincs version 2A and 2D?

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Michel,

My 994 is Insteon/Z-Wave.  I only have a couple of Z-Wave devices, I did not try any to see if they were affected.

No thermostats.

Access points are pretty old:  2443 v1.0.  They are generally very reliable though.

I have only 1 SwitchLinc, 2-wire, v.42

KPL v .45

My system is mostly lamp modules and on/off modules.  Couple of I/O Linc's thrown in.  I have been purging the older modules as they have been less reliable (my first ISY was the 26).

The system has been extremely reliable after the usual troubleshooting and adding of FilterLinc's.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Having another episode of this tonight.  I unplugged anything new.  Stuff that was working fine today now is not.

I unplugged the access points, tried some devices that are giving me trouble, same thing, doesn't matter whether I plugged them back in or not.

I don't know, guess I'll wait until tomorrow and see if it clears up like it did last time.

Could it be the dreaded PLM mortality effect?   Mine is v9e,  V2.1, had it for a couple years I guess.

You may want to try one of the plugin modules. Giving problems. Into a few locations and see if anything changes.

I hope the PLM is not bad. 2.1 is one of the ones that had the updated power supply parts in it.

You could power cycle the PLM and see if anything changes.

Do a PLM link database count and see if it is real low.

No problems yesterday, but I had some problems last night, not as bad.  I wonder if I should just go ahead and replace my Access Points.

Is that what they're now calling 'Range Extender'?

This is the last day of SmartHome 20% off, for once it is not cheaper on Amazon.

There's no indication that Range extenders are any different than access Points except for the change in name. That's about the same as the change from RemoteLinc 2 to Mini Remote, same device, different name.

Archived