Family Sharing possibility

James Peterson

Family sharing is something many people want.  It is even something that I want to enable, but I really don't want to have to manage do to the pressure of storing user information.  I have put it off for a while, but I am looked into this and contacted google a few times in regards to this.  Since my app only has in-app-purchases and it is free, it is not eligible for the family library.  I have been informed however that non-consumable in-app-purchases are shared with-in the family library.  My question here is this:

IF.  big IF....   I created an alternate "PAID" download for Agave, what would be the interest and how many people would be asking for refunds in order to switch over to that.  I can not transfer current in-app-purchases to the new app so everything would need to be re-purchased and refunded.  This sounds like quite a bit of work and headache, but by the sounds of it, it might make sharing possible. 

I have not been able to verify this.  I will be creating a private app on my own just to test this theory.  I just want to gauge the out-cry of an attempt to make this switch.

My question here is this:

IF. big IF.... I created an alternate "PAID" download for Agave, what would be the interest and how many people would be asking for refunds in order to switch over to that. I can not transfer current in-app-purchases to the new app so everything would need to be re-purchased and refunded. This sounds like quite a bit of work and headache, but by the sounds of it, it might make sharing possible.

I have not been able to verify this. I will be creating a private app on my own just to test this theory. I just want to gauge the out-cry of an attempt to make this switch.

Could you not create 100% promo codes that you distribute to those that already purchased in-app, so they could then 'pay' for a paid version with the code? I issued 100% promo codes for my wife and daughter to use my Elk app...

By emailing a code on request to those that purchased in-app should not be too hard, and does not involve refunds.

Or, companion app that activates the 'free' app... Again, coupon code for those that purchased in-app that wanted to switch.

James,

I had to drop out of your beta testing after my trial period was up because I couldn't justify the cost for my wife and I. I am not saying the app isn't worth it, just that I couldn't justify the expense (I am retired) when I had a lesser quality app at a lower cost available under a family plan.

I would also be interested if you can make this work. My wife and I would also volunteer if you need some test subjects.

Regards,

Dennis

James,

I had to drop out of your beta testing after my trial period was up because I couldn't justify the cost for my wife and I. I am not saying the app isn't worth it, just that I couldn't justify the expense (I am retired) when I had a lesser quality app at a lower cost available under a family plan.

I would also be interested if you can make this work. My wife and I would also volunteer if you need some test subjects.

Regards,

Dennis

Dennis~

like MWareman has stated and I confirmed.  I am more then willing to give out free passes to anyone that has already purchased the app.  I see no reason anyone should pay more then they have to.  Please PM me and I will work this out with you if you are willing to purchase the app.  

Family sharing is something many people want.  It is even something that I want to enable, but I really don't want to have to manage do to the pressure of storing user information.  I have put it off for a while, but I am looked into this and contacted google a few times in regards to this.  Since my app only has in-app-purchases and it is free, it is not eligible for the family library.  I have been informed however that non-consumable in-app-purchases are shared with-in the family library.  My question here is this:

IF.  big IF....   I created an alternate "PAID" download for Agave, what would be the interest and how many people would be asking for refunds in order to switch over to that.  I can not transfer current in-app-purchases to the new app so everything would need to be re-purchased and refunded.  This sounds like quite a bit of work and headache, but by the sounds of it, it might make sharing possible. 

I have not been able to verify this.  I will be creating a private app on my own just to test this theory.  I just want to gauge the out-cry of an attempt to make this switch.

I have just received a clarification email from google saying that they mis-stated and that in-app purchases for paid apps are not "shared" show my idea is no longer valid.  I will continue to search for ideas to automate this.

• 2 weeks later...

If I were to create and build a family sharing option into Agave, ---  

What do you think would be a reasonable amount of people to add as family members?

Would multiple tiers be acceptable?  2 members, 6 members

Would control limiting be something you would be interested in:  exp:  I have X level of access but I only want to give my daughter Y level of access

What value would you place on it?  

My limitations.  

- I would have to maintain a dedicated server with redundancy to prevent failure of device syncing

- Anyone interested in this feature would be required to allow "Contacts" permissions so that I could access the device logins.  I already do this right now to track the trial period, but you would not be able to turn it off after the trial ended if you intended to use this feature.  

- I'm sure I'll think of other issues later....

James,

I have four children. I want them to have access only to a common area and their room. Maybe to the Elk but to only disarm a select zone.

Yes, I think you will either need your own server or set it up to use Google Drive to read permissions and data.

I'd prefer Google Drive but I trust you to keep data private.

I'll pay another $100 for these features.

If I were to create and build a family sharing option into Agave, ---

What do you think would be a reasonable amount of people to add as family members?

Would multiple tiers be acceptable? 2 members, 6 members

Would control limiting be something you would be interested in: exp: I have X level of access but I only want to give my daughter Y level of access

What value would you place on it?

My limitations.

- I would have to maintain a dedicated server with redundancy to prevent failure of device syncing

- Anyone interested in this feature would be required to allow "Contacts" permissions so that I could access the device logins. I already do this right now to track the trial period, but you would not be able to turn it off after the trial ended if you intended to use this feature.

- I'm sure I'll think of other issues later....

James,

I would say that 4 would be reasonable. However isn't there a limit on google family? It may be six.

I would be interested in the level control from a main user. For the scenarios you describe.

Value? Probably $2.99 for an app that is an extension of the main user. It comes down to usability. With the current functionality I am ok paying what I paid. But for my wife or kids, they don't interact nearly as much as I do.

Hope this helps.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James,

I have four children. I want them to have access only to a common area and their room. Maybe to the Elk but to only disarm a select zone.

Yes, I think you will either need your own server or set it up to use Google Drive to read permissions and data.

I'd prefer Google Drive but I trust you to keep data private.

I'll pay another $100 for these features.

I don't know if I can get that fine grained.  If I did, I would need to store a lot of information about the ISY on the server and I am trying to avoid that.  I am more or less thinking offering access levels at or below they managing family members access level.  

James,

I would say that 4 would be reasonable. However isn't there a limit on google family? It may be six.

I would be interested in the level control from a main user. For the scenarios you describe.

Value? Probably $2.99 for an app that is an extension of the main user. It comes down to usability. With the current functionality I am ok paying what I paid. But for my wife or kids, they don't interact nearly as much as I do.

Hope this helps.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I can already see from these two posts the expected amount greatly varies.   I would not however be able to have each family member purchase there own access.  I would only have an addon purchase on the main account and use that to give them access to create the family setup and then the secondary users( connected to the same ISY as the originating or managing family member) would then see a new option in settings to join a family.  From that point they could enter a code generated my the managing member and from that point have access to the ISY based on the managing members setup for that code.  Once that code is used, I would set it up to not be used again by any other members to that code would belong to that user until deactivated or exited by that family member.  

Its complicated, but I have it diagramed in hopes that I can implement it.  I just want to gauge interest and see if it is worth my time.  

Archived