Replaced PLM but....

bmiller

I replaced my PLM following the wiki. The isy wrote all data to the new isy, as i could follow the status in the console. Everything now appears in my mobilinc app. and the console is happy.

All devices are accounted for and can be controlled ok within the house. There are some programs that are not working at all though. There is no response from commands from the

keypadlinc or app. In the console the PLM status is ok , yet the PLM links table is blank. Not sure what happened, but the PLM appears to be missing something.

I'm using an isy 994i/IR and running 4.3.26. Appreciate any help resolving this issue. Everything has been running ok for the last 18 months until now.

I didn't use the delete modem function. I replaced the PLM and restored modem. I assumed the isy would restore the plm with the data that was already working. I ended up restoring the isy from a good backup and then restored all

devices. Now everything appears to be working ok.

This is the method i used: http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/420-how-to-replacerestoreremove-plm/

Question: Why do you need to restore the isy from a backup if it was already working ok and it's just the PLM that was not functioning? I'm going to keep a copy of the link above for the next time.

Thanks.

Brad

Hi Brad

For restoring the PLM, the ISY is "the system of record" for PLM link data. A PLM contains specific information about your insteon network, its not simply a replacement. The ISY depends on the PLM to tell it about links. What could be at work here is when the backup was made.

If the backup was made after the PLM was found to be defective, that backup would have stored less and/or bad link table information from the PLM. A restore modem from a backup made from a faulty PLM will configure the new modem like the faulty one.

Do you have a good backup of your programs, configuration, etc... from before you detected the modem going bad? The other work around would be to 'restore device' for those insteon devices not working properly in programs.

Paul

Initially i just replaced the PLM and then restored PLM from the console, assuming at that point the isy would restore stored system information to the new PLM. When that didn't work, i restored devices. All devices

seemed to work ok individually, but a couple of programs did not. That's when i restored the isy from a good backup, restored devices and then all was ok. I was under the wrong assumption that the isy would just

tell the new PLM all the information needed to get back to square one. I gather when the PLM went defective, some data in the isy was also corrupted. All appears to be ok, it's just the replacement method

i used was from years ago, so i guess there has been some updated revisions. The one i used made no reference to restore the isy from a good backup which is the key step i missed. My backup was much older than the night

before the PLM went defective, but relevant in my case. I'm sure most people don't keep nightly backups, unless changes are made to the system on a daily basis.

Thanks for your help again. I'm keeping a link to the proper PLM replacement for the next time.

Brad

Initially i just replaced the PLM and then restored PLM from the console, assuming at that point the isy would restore stored system information to the new PLM. When that didn't work, i restored devices. All devices

seemed to work ok individually, but a couple of programs did not. That's when i restored the isy from a good backup, restored devices and then all was ok. I was under the wrong assumption that the isy would just

tell the new PLM all the information needed to get back to square one. I gather when the PLM went defective, some data in the isy was also corrupted. All appears to be ok, it's just the replacement method

i used was from years ago, so i guess there has been some updated revisions. The one i used made no reference to restore the isy from a good backup which is the key step i missed. My backup was much older than the night

before the PLM went defective, but relevant in my case. I'm sure most people don't keep nightly backups, unless changes are made to the system on a daily basis.

Thanks for your help again. I'm keeping a link to the proper PLM replacement for the next time.

Brad

There's no need to make nightly backups of the ISY. Good protocol is to make a backup anytime you upgrade the firmware or make changes to programs, devices or scenes.

Archived