efects of query command on insteon network

Guys

My ISY often misses status updates from the devices. All insteon scenes works perfect, the only issue is the device status update on ISY. It really sucks because I have several programs that uses device status to trigger actions.

I was thinking on a program to do periodic queries on the devices that I need constant status update. I know it can impact the insteon trafic, but my ideia is issue a 1 query every 5 minutes on only one device. After 5 min, a query on the second device and so on.  Do you know if this can impact the ISY or insteon performance? My ISY usually freezes for a few seconds when I issue a query command.

Regards

Eduardo

Hi Stu

It happens with several devices. I can reproduce it easily on a "all off" scene with 30 devices on it. It seems plm looses reports in a high ISY traffic scene (with a lot of devices)

A periodic query would fix it, but I'm not sure the impact on the isy network

regards

Eduardo

Hola Eduardo,

Any traffic has an impact on the Insteon network, however small. A difficulty may occur if another device sends a signal during the query. I try to keep traffic to a minimum.

I just completed doing just that. In particular, I had a Dine Out scene that turned nearly all interior devices off except for a few that we wanted on. The scene had more than sixty devices as members. The program required significantly less statements, about one-third. That's because instead of needing to control each and every device including KPL buttons, I only needed to turn off the scenes that had those devices as members.

BTW, 600+ links is well below 900, but less links gives you more room to expand your Insteon network B)

Archived