setting a static ip

sccestaro

Hello,

I was able to set a static ip address in the admin console. Everything looked good there but, I somehow couldn't get it to show up in the client list in the router and therefore Mobilinc wasn't able to find anything. I bought a web power switch because this stuff is in a second home in another state. There has been a big snowstorm and power and cable was lost. After restoration, I guess a new ip was assigned and I cant ping the switch. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

After restoration, I guess a new ip was assigned and I cant ping the switch. Any thoughts?

Assume you mean that your ISP assigned a new address to your router?

In most cases, this has nothing to do with your ISY's address on your local network. Normally, you would have your router in NAT mode, and you would need to set up a port mapping from your router to the ISY. 

But maybe your ISP provides a block of IP public IP addresses (rare, today...) and you assigned your ISY to one IP in the block? (No NAT.)

You didn't say whether you use the UDI portal. If so, you do not need a static address for your ISY.

As far as the IP address of your router - most ISPs do not provide a static address, and the address may change from time to time. You can use a dynamic DNS service to assign your moving-target IP to an unchanging domain name. Most/many routers now support a number of dynamic DNS services directly. When the router's public address changes, the router will notify the dynamic DNS service of the change.

If you fill in the blanks, we can probably help you figure out what went wrong.

IMO, there is no good reason to assign static IP addresses directly on devices these days. If you need an unchanging address (on your local LAN), make a DNS reservation instead. It's more fool-proof.

Like jtara above, fixing your ip address indide of most devices on your LAN is a bad idea. The fixing of ip addresses should be done inside your router.

A fixed ip address inside a device may work forever but one day the router can assign that address to something else and suddenly the whole LAN can hang and be really hard to diagnose.

Sent from a tiny keyboard. Response may be brief.

OP,

In addition to all the good advice above, You may be able to rescue yourself without a reset if you assign the same IP address as a reservation in your router. Assuming you're on the same subnet (etc idk) try reserving that same IP address for the ISY MAC on your LAN and reboot the ISY.

Edit: and then change the ISY to get DHCP reserved / "fixed" IP address from router

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like you either need to subscribe to a dynamic dns service (like dyndns or no-ip) or get ISY portal.  If power went out and your home gateway was assigned a new ip by your ISP upon reboot, there is nothing that ISY can do about that.  

A dynamic DNS company keeps track of your current WAN IP address by running an application on some device inside your network that informs the dynamic dns server of your current WAN IP every time it changes.  Many routers have this application built in, as does Elk XEP.   The dynamic dns company allows you to assign a URL to your home and it translates that URL into whatever your current IP is.  Your URL choice is limited to the format they provide you, unless you want to buy your own.  For example, a URL might be joe-blow.no-ip.biz where the "joe-blow" part was of your choosing.  

ISY portal service works by a plug-in on the ISY that opens a connection to the ISY portal.  Because the connection originates at your end, the fact that your home IP address changed doesn't matter.  The portal is owned and operated by UD on some server somewhere and its address never changes, so both you and your ISY can always find it on the internet.  The service costs $50/2 years which allows UD to operate the server.  The portal then relays all communications between you (when you are outside your home) and your ISY.

As far as your LAN.  You can configure your ISY to have a fixed IP, but be sure to keep good records of what you have assigned to what address.  If you duplicate and address you will have problems.  Also, you must set your router's DHCP to a range that does not include the IP addresses you are assigning your ISY (and other stuff).  Generally speaking, assigning devices fixed IP's within the device is not the best way to do it.  The best way to keep a LAN device on the same IP is typically to use a feature most routers have.  This is called DHCP reservation, and it allows you to set your router to always provide any given device the same IP.  In this case, you leave your ISY set to receive a DHCP address from your router.  Your router will then always give it the same address, the address you told it to give it in the dhcp reservation configuration page.  The router will recognize your ISY by its MAC address and it is the MAC address that you use to configure the router's reservation.

There was a Python script posted here a while back that broke your IP address into 4 parts, and sent them to variables on your ISY every so often. If they change, the ISY sends an alert with the new address to you so you can make the change.

I also found a script that uses the AWS API to change your IP address automatically if you use AWS Route 53 as your DNS.

Archived