How to test a PLM

DIYguy

During the last couple weeks when giving a spoken command to the echo I would get the "OK" response and nothing would happen. This progressed to the "can not find a device named..." I first tried removing all the devices and refind them. Echo found the devices but still would not control them. Tried rebooting all the devices, still nothing. Reran remove and find devices now the echo can not find any of the previous (37) devices and scenes. Went into ISY admin counsel and diagnostics and PLM status which reported "not connected". Also tried to control devices through the console but this also failed.  PLM shows a solid green light, any ideas how to verify the PLM before ordering a new one?

How old is your PLM?  A little over 2 years I bet.

Try rebooting ISY/PLM and restoring your PLM, does it work now?  

If yes, then your PLM is on its last legs.  It might hold the links for a few minutes, or a few days, but it will happen again.  You need to either get a new one or replace the capacitors as per the thread in here about that.

I unplugged ISY and the PLM, waited and then plugged them back in to reboot. Did this twice. After doing the reboot is when the Echo could not find any devices. Does the PLM hold the info in memory? The green light and status lights on ISY look normal but no connection. Going to look for a different network cable and see if that makes a difference.

Any hardware revision 1; 2413S PLM. Over two years old have a reputation of power supply failing.

Do a PLM Info/Status. Should show the PLM six digit ID, firmware version and connected.

A Show PLM Links Table should show the links in the PLM. If it is very low. The PLM is on its way out.

Working for a short time after a power cycle. Is also a sign of a failing PLM.

If you are interested. There is a very long thread here on the 2413S PLM failures and repairs.

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/13866-repair-of-2413s-plm-when-the-power-supply-fails/

I unplugged ISY and the PLM, waited and then plugged them back in to reboot. Did this twice. After doing the reboot is when the Echo could not find any devices. Does the PLM hold the info in memory? The green light and status lights on ISY look normal but no connection. Going to look for a different network cable and see if that makes a difference.

Certainly try a new cable.  But odds are very very very (did I say very?) high that the PLM is dead.  PLM's are a universal point of failure beyond 2 years of age.  Just because the led is on, doesn't mean it is working.  The green led on one of mine was on even though it's capacitors were bad.  Personally I repaired 2 plm's via the capacitor replacement.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried swapping the cable and testing and ISY till doesn't see the PLM so figure DOA. Ordered new module and replaced. ISY now sees the module and finally able to communicate with devices.

New problem or still....Echo will still not communicate with devices or scenes. Went into the Alexa app, removed devices and did a fresh discover devices and repeatedly, no devices found. ISY is the same, PLM different but that shouldn't stop the system from finding my devices.

Any advice?

Archived