Disappointed with 2411T Insteon to IR

steve4609

The 2411T could have been the missing link that I have been waiting for. However, now that info is available for it, unfortunately it will only output to emitters and with one socket that is a maximum of 2 devices or with an IR blaster it could control a few more but only if in the same stack and I have multiple stacks. In addition, my equipment is all centrally located in my theater but serves zones all over the house. I need for a 2411T for each zone to have the remote signal enter the equipment via a serial remote input jack on the back panel and NOT through an emitter. With multiple zones, emitters will send IR signals to all zones which would be horrendous. With an out to a controller block, I would still need several 2411Ts but it would all work. I could then use Keypadlincs throughout the house to control the components for that zone through IR without wiring for IR. In the theater, a Remotelinc could have audio IR, video IR and lighting commands in scenes on each button so no other remotes would be needed.

The right way to do this product would be for it to output to a control block (such as the Xantech 789-44 for 4 ports or 791-44 for 10 ports or others if more than 10 ports are needed) and then the user could have much larger numbers of emitter ports. Then I could effectively use 4 or 5 2411Ts but with emitter outputs, they will be worthless.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

how about this:

take the adapter that splits a headphone jack in two (the same one that I use to split my computer's headphone into two so my wife and I can watch a movie on a plane on my computer) and connect it with two emitters pairsto make a total of four emitters. This would require having smarthome send another emitter pair to me.

does anyone think that this would work?

I don't think that'll work, but I'd be happy to hear otherwise. If you want to try, you'll need to use a mono splitter, btw.

I don't think that the output is powerful enough to work. As it is, the emitters do not broadcast a very powerful signal. Splitting them would likely further reduce their range.

More, from Smarthome:

The IRLinc IR emitter jack is designed for use with single / dual IR emitters or blasters and is not compatible with IR repeating systems through a direct connection. For use with these systems, it is recommended to install a sensor compatible with the desired IR repeating system in range / sight of an emitter or blaster connected to the IRLinc IR emitter jack.

Archived