luminance/brightness detectino

MarkJames

True enough, but a tag manager is $40, so that tag actually costs $65. Toss in the fact that I had a Pi, power supply, case and SD card laying around, and it's not a bad deal.

Also, you could get a Pi Zero W for $10. Plenty of horsepower for a sensor reading.

Plus there's the whole 'I'm a DIY type'. Telling me I don't have to code it or build it isn't a selling point.

lol - there's no arguing with someone who wants to build something.  I built an elaborate coffee bean loader for my coffee roaster a couple of years ago using sheet stainless and RC servos along with a custom built enclosure for an interface to it using two custom made thermocouples, an arduino, a graphing LCD, and a dozen or so buttons and switches.  I used it for a month before I forgot it outside and it filled with rain lol. 

lol - there's no arguing with someone who wants to build something. I built an elaborate coffee bean loader for my coffee roaster a couple of years ago using sheet stainless and RC servos along with a custom built enclosure for an interface to it using two custom made thermocouples, an arduino, a graphing LCD, and a dozen or so buttons and switches. I used it for a month before I forgot it outside and it filled with rain lol.

Are we arguing? I didn't think so. There are a lot of ways to skin the proverbial cat, the "best" way is highly subjective. I simply stated one way that I personally have used for light detection. YMMV.

Are we arguing? I didn't think so. There are a lot of ways to skin the proverbial cat, the "best" way is highly subjective. I simply stated one way that I personally have used for light detection. YMMV.

lol - no argument from me.  I love building things.  Heck - I'm sitting here looking at monoprice 3d printers as I type.  Why?  I dunno - cuz they look cool.

:)

mark

I'm not sure why you polling the device would be any more prone to collisions than the device sending data to you.

If anything you polling a device would give you a better chance of scheduling data retrieval when nothing else is going on hence avoiding collisions.

When the device sends data to you you have no control over - and it knows nothing of - the current state of your network traffic.  This seemed to be the problem with Insteon motion sensors - flooding your network with signals.

Regardless - so long as there is some form of queuing going on I don't think it matters one way or the other.

I agree, I would rather have it polled on my schedule instead of just randomly sending out signals.  I keep it at 15 minutes to keep the traffic down.

Archived