Damaged KPL

smokegrub

I was installing custom buttons on a KPL and while popping off the old buttons I damaged one of frame that the button snaps onto. Bummer! The button works but one corner is not snapped down. Is that repairable w/o having to get a new KPL?

What color is it? I have a lot of spare frames/keys from a move. I went to basic white.

One of the wonderful things about Insteon is that they have color-change kits - you can even change the color of the LED light pipes. A side-benefit is easily obtained spare parts for this sort of "oops".

I have some ivory, grey, and light almond. I even have some custom-etched buttons. (The real ones, from SmartHome.)

LOL, $1.55 on sale! Guess you don't really need my offer to send you one.

I think I may not have been clear as to what happened. The button is not broken, The frame into which the button steps had one side break. The piece that broke off is clear. It looks to me like there is a frame into which the buttons snap.

I think I may not have been clear as to what happened. The button is not broken, The frame into which the button steps had one side break. The piece that broke off is clear. It looks to me like there is a frame into which the buttons snap.

If you put up a picture of what you want so there is no confusion I am pretty sure myself or someone else can help

The procedure for posting images has changed since I last used it. I have the photos just don't know how to add them tp a post.

Can you message me the pic?  I will gladly send you a replacement as I am pretty sure I will have what you need.  Not looking for money just to help you out.  Would be a shame for you to have to pay for something this simple from SH.

The procedure for posting images has changed since I last used it. I have the photos just don't know how to add them tp a post.

If you start at the quick reply box at the bottom of the thread, hit 'more reply options'. From there, there's an option to attach files, and then an 'add to post' link after the pic is uploaded.

The frame and the buttons come as a set. That's how you change the color.

You can use the frame and keep the buttons as spares.

Look at the picture in the link that paulbates posted:

http://www.smarthome.com/insteon-2401wh6-6-button-change-kit-for-keypadlinc-white.html

he suggested you might want to use the buttons that come-with, because yours might have faded, or just because of different color batch, and so might not exactly match the new frame.

The white ones are on sale for $1.55. (Usually $5.99). But the Teken Tax (Canada Post) will kill you if you are in Canada. ;)

No part of the frame is clear, though. You might have a clear light-pipe (the colors of light-pipes are changeable, too...) If you broke a light pipe (not difficult to do... I can NEVER figure out which direction they go in...) you can order light pipe kits, and they are cheap too.

The body of the KPL is clear. It is not a replacement part. Epoxy is your friend.

Thanks for the feedback. Here are the photos. I think. When adding the Fan High button I heard a snapping sound and found the small piece of clear plastic on the floor. Note, the button does not seat correctly. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to help me sort this out.

post-4584-0-26374100-1493722861_thumb.jpgpost-4584-0-18614500-1493722915_thumb.jpgpost-4584-0-26374100-1493722861_thumb.jpg

on   Page 16 of 25   in the  2487S -  manual  it says

Changing a KeypadLinc Button

KeypadLinc buttons may be changed to customize appearance. Please use care – the button frame can be damaged and/or broken during this process. Using a small, slotted screwdriver (ONLY) pry up on the sides of the keys from the middle of the keypad (as shown). Make sure you are centered on the key as there is a small “lip” to pull up on located there. The large buttons have a small "lip" on the left and right side.

Should any damage occur to KeypadLinc during customization, please contact the INSTEON Gold Support Line at 800-762-7845 and we will be happy to replace your frame.

you might give them a call and see if they will send it for free

Thanks, J_Barrett. I thought I was using the correct procedure but eyesight is not very good. I have done this before and I have always considered the procedure risky. I have already ordered a couple replacements each in 6-button and 8-button formats.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived