ISY Logic Flaw Regarding Status and a Query

apostolakisl

I have come to discover that if you query a device and there is a program containing a "status" of that device, the program will trigger even if the query did not result in a change in status.

This, to me, is a flaw in the logic.  "Status" programs are only supposed to trigger on a change in status.  I don't think that a query should result in a trigger of that program unless the query produces a change in status.

I have come to discover that if you query a device and there is a program containing a "status" of that device, the program will trigger even if the query did not result in a change in status.

This, to me, is a flaw in the logic.  "Status" programs are only supposed to trigger on a change in status.  I don't think that a query should result in a trigger of that program unless the query produces a change in status.

I found the same problem with State variables updating to the same value, back about v5.0.2,  UDI reported to be fixing that one.

What  firmware version are you finding the status false trigger with?

I found the same problem with State variables updating to the same value, back about v5.0.2,  UDI reported to be fixing that one.

What  firmware version are you finding the status false trigger with?

And I guess that also kills my idea about a workaround.  I was going to use a variable as an intermediary, but it sounds like that will do the same thing.

apostolakisl,

This has been there since our inception and it's not a flaw. Query from the GUI means: reset whatever you have (now the status is NULL) and query. Query from Programs does not reset the status.

Please note that we are not going to change this behavior.

With kind regards,

Michel

apostolakisl,

This has been there since our inception and it's not a flaw. Query from the GUI means: reset whatever you have (now the status is NULL) and query. Query from Programs does not reset the status.

With kind regards,

Michel

Maybe this could be relabeled to "reset and relaod." Query, in this case. is really misleading to users.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

apostolakisl,

With kind regards,

Michel

Query from programs does trigger, at least on my thermostats in 5.0.10

I have a program set to query the thermostats every 15 minutes and I have email notifications set to send on hvac mode status change.  As soon as I started the query program I started getting emails every 15 minutes for all hvac units even though they were all unchanged.

Below is the query program and one example of the notify programs.

Query T-stat - [ID 0002][Parent 0001][Not Enabled][Run At Startup]

If
   - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
        Repeat Every  15 minutes 
           Set 'Alter North' Query
           Wait  15 seconds
           Set 'Narthex' Query
           Wait  15 seconds
           Set 'Alter South' Query
           Wait  15 seconds
           Set 'Upstairs North' Query
           Wait  15 seconds
           Set 'Upstaris South' Query

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Alter N Auto - [ID 0020][Parent 000A]

If
        'Alter North' Mode is Auto

Then
        Send Notification to 'Lou and Stuart' content 'N Alter Set to Auto'

Else

Query from programs does trigger, at least on my thermostats in 5.0.10

I have a program set to query the thermostats every 15 minutes and I have email notifications set to send on hvac mode status change.  As soon as I started the query program I started getting emails every 15 minutes for all hvac units even though they were all unchanged.

Below is the query program and one example of the notify programs.

Query T-stat - [ID 0002][Parent 0001][Not Enabled][Run At Startup]

If
   - No Conditions - (To add one, press 'Schedule' or 'Condition')

Then
        Repeat Every  15 minutes 
           Set 'Alter North' Query
           Wait  15 seconds
           Set 'Narthex' Query
           Wait  15 seconds
           Set 'Alter South' Query
           Wait  15 seconds
           Set 'Upstairs North' Query
           Wait  15 seconds
           Set 'Upstaris South' Query

Else

Alter N Auto - [ID 0020][Parent 000A]

If
        'Alter North' Mode is Auto

Then
        Send Notification to 'Lou and Stuart' content 'N Alter Set to Auto'

Else

ewwwww. That does break the trigger concept for programs. Now we would have to write ISY code to compare parameters with a known/old value in a variable to detect a change.

This doesn't sound like a workable solution for ISY logic.

Does that mean every program based on a node will notify the user on Query All every night?

In my case the value was triggering programs from REST input to those variables. Without a value change programs were running every time a REST value was inserted. That means with every usage of a REST/VAR/ command a series of programs in ISY will evaluate and run Then or Else, and no change is detected.

EDIT:Read Michel'sl logic very carefully. (I didn't at first).

This is actually a good testing feature. We can initiate programs manually right from the horse's mouth.

apostolakisl,

Again, I beg you NOT to post issues to regular forums if you have 5.0.x installed. I'll forward to Chris.

With kind regards,

Michel

OK.  Indeed this appears to be a 5.x firmware issue.  I originally thought it was device specific, but I have now tested it on a couple other devices.  So far, all devices I have tested on 5.x trigger status programs when progrmatically queried.  I'll move this to 5.x forum.

Archived