Ecobee4 with Alexa and new Alexa switch

Scottmichaelj

Cool idea!

But I fear too much electronics heat, and inside wall draughts, would make the stats thermal sensor useless. Time will tell.

Take out the temp sensor and just have a light switch, occ sensor and alexa in it and that would be ne for me. I coukd put them in every room and no need to have a DOT on a table and sitting out. It would be a clean install.

It's a cool idea. In ways I wish I could use it. My ecobees are in the livingroom that we never use and in the upstairs office that's rarely used. I think it would be good for those that have it in local areas but I suspect most would still want music which that standard echo provides.

Alexa can control the ecobee

Unfortunately my HVAC cant use Ecobee but having a small echo in a wall switch to issue commands would be good for me. I actually am one of those guys who doesnt even want to hear the "ok" - just tell it to do what I want and be done. Having one in each room would be perfect for that. One thing that needs to happen is better control of a single room though. "Alexa turn on the lights" and it knows the light in that room or audio, TV, etc.

I actually am one of those guys who doesnt even want to hear the "ok" - just tell it to do what I want and be done. Having one in each room would be perfect for that. One thing that needs to happen is better control of a single room though. "Alexa turn on the lights" and it knows the light in that room or audio, TV, etc.

You can turn off the sounds prior and post command (see screenshot of the Alexa configuration web page: Home | Settings | <your Echo device> | Sounds).  Additionally, with sub accounts, each Alexa can know which devices it controls.

post-7363-0-90783300-1494354936_thumb.png

You can turn off the sounds prior and post command (see screenshot of the Alexa configuration web page: Home | Settings | <your Echo device> | Sounds). Additionally, with sub accounts, each Alexa can know which devices it controls.

Thanks but you cant turn off the "OK" response only the bong sound AFAIK. Can you confirm? Maybe I am missing something?

Admittedly I need to look at the sub accounts but seemed like a hassle. I want to say this DOT belongs to these devices. Done. Not sure why thats hard to do.

Thanks but you cant turn off the "OK" response only the bong sound AFAIK. Can you confirm? Maybe I am missing something?

Admittedly I need to look at the sub accounts but seemed like a hassle. I want to say this DOT belongs to these devices. Done. Not sure why thats hard to do.

That is the way mine works also. The ding is programmable but not the "OK".

My son just sent me news that Echo with a screen has been released to Canada. I assume this is the same unit as the ecobee is a Canadian product and it would be hard to restrict it then. I haven't had a chance to get details on the product yet.

That is the way mine works also. The ding is programmable but not the "OK".

My son just sent me news that Echo with a screen has been released to Canada. I assume this is the same unit as the ecobee is a Canadian product and it would be hard to restrict it then. I haven't had a chance to get details on the product yet.

You miss coming to the forum for just one day and miss everything.  :-P

"Echo Show" was released yesterday and thread here.

http://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/21745-echo-show/

Archived