ISY port forward connectivity lost

James Peterson

For some reason my ISYs no longer respond via port forward.  Everything was fine till about a week ago.  I had a problem like this last year but it resolved itself, but honestly this type of issue shouldn't happen.  

Actual setup:

External port 653 : Internal addr:port  10.1.1.154:443

Current setup for testing:

External port 81   : Internal addr:port 10.1.1.154:80 .   - not working

External port 653 : Internal addr:port  10.1.1.154:443  - not working

External port 80   : internal Rpi            10.1.1.35:80      - working  - I have rotated the forwarded ports with no change to ISY response.  

ISY responds just fine internally on both HTTP and HTTPS

I really think that my router hates my ISYs.   Netgear X4S R7800

Hi James,

Can you access ISY on https port locally?

Also, I strongly advise you against using port numbers below 2000 for anything except for their default apps (i.e. port 81).

With kind regards,

Michel

Yes.  I can access the ISY locally via http and https.  

For some reason my ISYs no longer respond via port forward.  Everything was fine till about a week ago.  I had a problem like this last year but it resolved itself, but honestly this type of issue shouldn't happen.  

Actual setup:

External port 653 : Internal addr:port  10.1.1.154:443

Current setup for testing:

External port 81   : Internal addr:port 10.1.1.154:80 .   - not working

External port 653 : Internal addr:port  10.1.1.154:443  - not working

External port 80   : internal Rpi            10.1.1.35:80      - working  - I have rotated the forwarded ports with no change to ISY response.  

ISY responds just fine internally on both HTTP and HTTPS

I really think that my router hates my ISYs.   Netgear X4S R7800

Do you have any other device that you can temporarily assign that LAN IP which listens on port 80 and 443 for testing? 

It sounds like you already confirmed that your ISY is actually at 10.1.1.154 and didn't accidentally get assigned a different IP.

Yep. I've done all that before and now.  Its a very strange issue.  

On a special note:  If I add an additional port forward bounce in between the router and the ISY it works.  

ie) Router -> Rpi -> ISY ==  NUTS!!!

Like I said.  I think the Router hates my ISY.

Just curious what the reason is for this.

And are you referring to the public port number or the internal port number, or both?

Michel is likely referring to the public port number.

Historically, low numbered ports are reserved (on Unix like systems) as privileged, and only root daemns can open listening sockets. Low numbered ports mostly have specific protocols associated with them, and enterprise network systems will often block known protocols on unusual low numbered ports.

It's just st best to use higher numbered ports when you are wanting to run a known protocol on a different port than it usually end on.

Archived