CAO SENSORS - MAJOR DISADVANTAGE

Grizzy

Just a quick FYI on CAO Sensors.

These are really neat sensors, they have a really good range, and ever so easy to setup and use.

They have been very reliable and I really could not expect more, EXCEPT READ ON.

Was a bit frustrating getting values into the ISY, but the information provided in the forum will get you there. Many thanks to all those who shared their experiences and coding examples.

Here is the kicker - as mentioned in a previous post, the tag manger absolutely must communicate with it's server and the system stops dead in its tracks within seconds of loosing the Internet connection.

Unfortunately my cable provider drops out after 3 rain drops and a clap of thunder. It usually take 3-4 hours to repair each time.

I would think CAO could setup something up so the tag manager only needs to see the server once every 24hrs. This would help tremendously on temporary outages.

It is really sad they have so many good things going for them that they had to screw it all up my creating this monstrosity that has to communicate with a server. I believe the tag manager once programmed contains the Kumo apps thus it will function just fine on just the LAN by its self.

So given this dependency and now the increased cost ....

I would have to recommend "Don't Waste Your Money" So so sad !

What do you think, any chance CAO will read this and take to heart the business they're missing out on ?

Yes, the CAO tags have limitations, but they also have strengths that, to my knowledge, cannot be met using other reasonably available technology. First, their range is extraordinary. Second, used to measure temperature in unusual locations, amazing. Inside a freezer or refrigerator, no problem. In a hot attic, no problem. My experience with the rainproof model is that it can handle heavy rain, no problem. For me, they are an adjunct to my monitoring assemblage. I have not tried integrating mine with my ISY because I have had no need. 

I don't like the cloud dependence either, and also think it was a ridiculous grab at keeping control of whatever they want to keep control of. (future fees?) but...

almost everything in your HA system that isn't Insteon or Zwave is Ethernet dependant, even your ISY. Wait until your router goes down or a simple connection inside your house on your LAN, in the right spot. All of your cloud and local comms are based on one many components functioning, not to mention your power supply.

The cloud is probably backed up more ways than your router or wiring and possibly the least likely to break down for longer periods. You just happen to be one of the unlucky ones. Been there with Rogers, before. Terribly moronic dealings for support.

CAO Tags are still the most accurate, and easy to implement analogue sensing devices available for most users. You could get a WC8 board but then you would need to fabricate a box, with connectors, learn their PLC style language, get sensors, and devise termination networks to electronically interface them to work, possibly. Then tech help is your own brain and you could be down for months.

I absolutely agree with all the positive attributes of the CAO sensors. I have probably 20 of them Including the rain , pir , magnetic input.

Very positive experience.

If my " Sudden Link " Provider was more dependable I would not have the awareness of their short coming.

As mentioned the power grab attitude, is their failing ... What a shame when it is so easily corrected ... A good product could be a fantastic one.

Do the goods out way the bads ..... For me I guess so since I have purchased so many.

My router or ?? On my Ethernet could fail, but I can fix or replace all that. But without the CAO server it just a worthless pile of plastic with great memories of how great they used to be.

I'm not so much worried about reliability issues -- I'm worried about privacy, security, and the potential for the provider to "crank down the screws" (such as increasing fees, etc) once they have a suitably-"hooked" customer base.

Every device that reaches out through my firewall is a potential security hazard.

Every device that reaches out through my firewall is providing some amount of data about me and my family's habits, at the very least.

Every device that reaches out through my firewall is capable of having its functionality and value curtailed by some other party, requiring me to give something up (money, more privacy data, etc) in return for having the original functionality returned.

That's not a value proposition I find interesting or compelling, and I'll avoid those services (even if like these tags the services are disguised as products).

The cloud dependency is not hidden, and I purchased mine knowing this. It's a limitation, sure. If there was a competitive solution that did not have the dependency I would definitely have chosen it.

Having regular outages of connectivity is the real issue here. If a few drops of rain takes it out, seem like some waterproofing may be due. If the rain is ingressing into your ISPs upstream equipment, bug them about it. Have them solve the problem rather that keep patching the issue.

As an additional thing to consider, look at an LTE backup solution for those must-have-connctivity things... There is a thread on here about that. I have my ISY, my Elk and the CAO tags backed up with an LTE gateway and a freedompop sim, costing me $0 per month... That being said, my fiber internet is incredibly reliable.... Still, it's nice to have the redundancy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Their Twitter account is @CaoGadgets. enough of us demanding a local API on twitter may get their attention.

Thanks for the idea and address.

ABSOLUTELY ...... Maybe if enough people share the concern.

I'm going to do exactly that ... Hopefully everyone will

I'm not so much worried about reliability issues -- I'm worried about privacy, security, and the potential for the provider to "crank down the screws" (such as increasing fees, etc) once they have a suitably-"hooked" customer base.

Every device that reaches out through my firewall is a potential security hazard.

Every device that reaches out through my firewall is providing some amount of data about me and my family's habits, at the very least.

Every device that reaches out through my firewall is capable of having its functionality and value curtailed by some other party, requiring me to give something up (money, more privacy data, etc) in return for having the original functionality returned.

That's not a value proposition I find interesting or compelling, and I'll avoid those services (even if like these tags the services are disguised as products).

You share a real concern .. Today with everything including my toaster connect to the Internet it becomes increasingly more difficult.

I had the same concerns with the ISY , although it can be disconnected and remain functionality.

Definitely a situation someday the world will live to regret ( an old farts opinion )

The cloud dependency is not hidden, and I purchased mine knowing this. It's a limitation, sure. If there was a competitive solution that did not have the dependency I would definitely have chosen it.

Having regular outages of connectivity is the real issue here. If a few drops of rain takes it out, seem like some waterproofing may be due. If the rain is ingressing into your ISPs upstream equipment, bug them about it. Have them solve the problem rather that keep patching the issue.

As an additional thing to consider, look at an LTE backup solution for those must-have-connctivity things... There is a thread on here about that. I have my ISY, my Elk and the CAO tags backed up with an LTE gateway and a freedompop sim, costing me $0 per month... That being said, my fiber internet is incredibly reliable.... Still, it's nice to have the redundancy.

Can you explain in greater detail on your backup plan for $0.00

Thanks

On the sudden link realiabablity .... One would think so ... I have expressed my frustrations more times than I can count. I have come believe it is a combination of dumbing down America, equal opportunity employment and a " I just I don't give a s---t attitude anymore"

SAD ?? ONLY IN AMERICA .... JUST AN OLD FARTS OPINIONS !

Can you explain in greater detail on your backup plan for $0.00

Thanks

The LTE gateway is not free. I have it hooked up to my pfSense firewall as a failover wan interface.

Data service is freedompop, who charge $/month as long as you use less than 200MB.

By constraining what services use it (thru pfSense rules) I stay well within 200MB...

We can ask all we want. The architecture does not currently allow it.

The KumoApp logic does not run in the tag manager. Same with the logic behind the URL calling. It all runs on the cloud service, and the cloud service sends URL commands to the tag manager when they are needed. I don't there is anything they can do even f they wanted to provide a local API, other than makeing a more powerful Tag Manager that can run everything locally...

CAO claims there are correction and or calibration factor calculations being done that are too big for the Tag Manager.

That doesn't sit right with me for even a cpu running on a 60Hz. clock.

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk

Over a year ago I had requested several times that they create a Tag Server that would perform all the tag functions locally and communicate with the cloud as needed. They gave me many excuses why they would not or could not do this and frankly all were just plain ridicules. These are cloud people and can't be persuaded otherwise. So I am only using two tags to let the ISY know if my vehicles are home or not. It may work 95% of the time but no comparison to what local access would be.

Archived