Control a fan

Michaelv

I would like to be able to control a ceiling fan with one KPL button. The fan has 3 speeds. Right now, I have a Switch linc relay controlling power to the fan so when I turn it on, the fan comes on at the speed it was last set to. The fan came with an RF remote that controls speed and light.

Remote works like this: Fan is off: press fan speed button once, fan is in slow speed, press again, medium, press again, fast, press again, Off.

Light: press and Hold to dim or brighten.

I do not care so much about the light but I would like to be able to press a single KPL and have that button act like the button on the remote.

I thought smart home made something that would help this work but I can find it.

Any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guy,

I am almost certain that SH does not have any plans for this feature. Do you know otherwise or do you have more information?

With kind regards,

Michel

Bump

I am also interested in controlling fan speed with insteon. If any one has a working setup, please post model number and if there is any hum and at what dimmer setting.

Thank you.

Could one set up something with 2 inlinelinc relays and resistors linked to mutually exclusive buttons on a KPL? Each button would control a relay that would be connected in series to a resistor or a conventional fan switches set at a different speeds. The local control button on the KPL could be for 100% speed, then if button A is pushed it turns off the local control and turns an inlinlinc relay connected to a manual fan switch set at 66% speed. Then if button B is pushed it turns off button A and it's inlinelinc and turns on an inlinlinc attached to a 33% set switch.

Michel,

No I don't know otherwise, I saw an X10 3 speed fan controller that goes for $100, but nothing insteon specific. However, getting that X10 switch or using 3 inlinelincs (each for its speed) sounds like a waste of money. I was hoping that someone has a good working setup with a fan that works with a dimmer, since most if not all fans don't play nicely dimmers.

With keypad and inlinelinc dimmer can limit the speed (voltage) to only 5 or less settings, and, in theory, can avoid low voltage that seems to be the cause of the hum on certain fans. It is plain old trail and error approach, perhaps someone on this forum has tried it and share what he have learned.

Hi guy,

I am almost certain that SH does not have any plans for this feature. Do you know otherwise or do you have more information?

With kind regards,

Michel

Bump

I am also interested in controlling fan speed with insteon. If any one has a working setup, please post model number and if there is any hum and at what dimmer setting.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...
Michel,

No I don't know otherwise, I saw an X10 3 speed fan controller that goes for $100, but nothing insteon specific. However, getting that X10 switch or using 3 inlinelincs (each for its speed) sounds like a waste of money. I was hoping that someone has a good working setup with a fan that works with a dimmer, since most if not all fans don't play nicely dimmers.

With keypad and inlinelinc dimmer can limit the speed (voltage) to only 5 or less settings, and, in theory, can avoid low voltage that seems to be the cause of the hum on certain fans. It is plain old trail and error approach, perhaps someone on this forum has tried it and share what he have learned.d regards,

Michel

Guy,

I have that $100 X-10 fan control and it is GREAT! The only waste of money is the fact that it is X-10, tuff to include in scenes and the thought that an Insteon fan control may come out. I am hoping for one myself.

What I don't get is this combo product of a Keypadlinc/dimmer-module has not been created by Smarthome yet. This product would sell like hotcakes.

I have 4 fans in the house that I would replace the current provided dimmer set for this exact setup in a heart beat. I hate having 4 different controller designs for my fans plus I can't automate them. For example I would have the fans come on if the house reached a temp.