Insteon Repeating Question

Not sure if this answers your question(s) but a dual band device repeats both on power line & RF simultaneously. Each device will repeat (simulcast) the same up to 3 times per the white paper specification to the entire Insteon network. 

I have seen conflicting reports in SH white papers. One stated as per Teken above.

The other white paper stated that a signal received on rf was only repeated on the power line and conversely any signal received on the powerline was only repeated on the rf protocol.

Being that all most of us know is from SH white papers, white papers are only a proposal, and others have disproven almost every fine detail of the published content of those white papers, I have to conclude,

the Insteon protocol falls into the realm of somewhere between a trade secret and we really don't know.

I suppose it could be tested by putting two rf only devices far enough apart that direct rf fails.  Then put an rf device halfway between and see if that fixes it.  

Testing the power line part would be easy enough done by using some power line only devices mixed in with some dual band devices.

In short, I don't feel like doing the testing, but it would be nice to know the answer when devising ways to combat comm issues.

I can say with certaintly the following

comm received on power line is retransmitted on RF (with a dual band).

Other than that, I don't have any 100% known comm pathways in my system.

I am mostly curious if dual band device receiving on rf retransmits also on rf.  I think they do, based on the fact that in an rf only building (the plm in is in an adjacent building on a separate electrical system and only gets rf), I plugged a dual band device into an outlet, and a previously out of range thermostat became in range.

I suppose it could be tested by putting two rf only devices far enough apart that direct rf fails.  Then put an rf device halfway between and see if that fixes it.  

Testing the power line part would be easy enough done by using some power line only devices mixed in with some dual band devices.

In short, I don't feel like doing the testing, but it would be nice to know the answer when devising ways to combat comm issues.

I can say with certaintly the following

comm received on power line is retransmitted on RF (with a dual band).

Other than that, I don't have any 100% known comm pathways in my system.

I am mostly curious if dual band device receiving on rf retransmits also on rf.  I think they do, based on the fact that in an rf only building (the plm in is in an adjacent building on a separate electrical system and only gets rf), I plugged a dual band device into an outlet, and a previously out of range thermostat became in range.

First line sounds good but what two rf ONLY devices talk to each other that this could be tested with?

hmmmmm...in v5 there are some devices with options to disable either rf or powerline  or both reception. I'll get you on v5 yet! :)

First line sounds good but what two rf ONLY devices talk to each other that this could be tested with?

hmmmmm...in v5 there are some devices with options to disable either rf or powerline  or both reception. I'll get you on v5 yet! :)

Basically, any dual band device that is behind a filterlinc or on a separate power source.  

I do believe that true rf only devices (like thermostats and battery devices) do not repeat anything.

Archived