Weather Bug - What data is available?

CJVann

tim2u, I would suggest checking with a couple of WB stations in your area to see how often they update their data. All of the stations in my area only update about once an hour (1 is even longer between updates).

Lee, I like that idea of the radio with the output to trigger. Do you have it set up to trigger an IO or EZIO? Was the radio very expensive?

Thanks

Tim

The Midland WR300 is <$50 from several internet sites. I've been using it for 6 months with good reception and reliable alerts. Some times to reliable alerts. My geography is such that 4 counties ( 2 in state, and 2 out of state ) have to be covered with the SAME codes.

The Midland radio has an internal alarm for alerts which is loud enough to wake out of a sound sleep. I think the external alert jack is supplying 12V DC during an alert which would directly trigger any of the EZIOxx devices opto-isolated inputs. If using an I/O Linc a relay would be required between the radio and the I/O Linc. I have not found it necessary to turn on lights but I like that idea.

• 3 months later...
Hello Mr. Giffen,

As far as I can tell, the value is a number between 0 - 100 and it denotes the ambient light level. The light rate is the percentage of change in hour.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

Should both the Light value and Light Rate value be shown as %/h ?

Perhaps Light value is just a number and not a percentage.

image.jpg

• 1 month later...
What is the unit of measure of light data in the weather module?

OOPS. I see this was already responded to...

If you look at Rand's answer 3/4/2009 there is light and light rate. The unit of measure I'm not sure but the rate tells you is it getting lighter or darker.

In the morning a light amount of 58% tells you it is still getting light and it will likely get brighter if there aren't clouds in the sky. A light rate of 2.5% means it is getting 2.5% brighter every hour. The designation is light rate per hour.

I've though of writing a program to turn on lights on weekends if the light rate between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm is 25% or less. something like that.

I haven't spent much time on it yet, but I signed up for weatherbug API's. I have the network module bringing the data in for Weather Alerts and when I test the network page it does bring back a response.

However, I don't know how to create the e-mail to populate the data I have from Weather Alerts.

Maybe Weather Alerts and Forecast could be an incremental component for Weatherbug and charge a price for this incremental service.

Hi Mike_405,

Are you having issues with creating email notifications which include weather information?

If so, everything is already there in 2.8.16.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hello Michel, I have 3.1.2. I have the networking and weatherbug modules. Also, I wrote an e-mail that is delivered at 3:55PM with the current weather conditions at home before I hit the train.

I wrote a networking program that brings in the weatherbug alerts webpage. I just need to get that data into a notification. It's a work in process. Not sure if it can be done.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm planning to purchase the Weatherbug module for irrigation.

But Weatherbug stations in my area (Saanichton, BC, Canada) are very rare... There is one station called "Victoria (Hartland)", and I followed the reported weather through the web interface and various browser plugins.

I never see any rain reported by this station - daily or monthly rainfall is always 0, even though we had lots of rain during the last weeks.

If there is no local station reporting rainfall, I really don't want to purchase the Weatherbug module... But maybe the missing rain is some limitation in the web interface?

How can I find out if the ISY Weatherbug module would show me any valid precipitation for my area ?

Hello vislman,

If you do not see rain rate and rain today values in the station's main page for WeatherBug, then, in all likelihood, that station does not provide that information and hence WB would be quite useless.

You can always try WB module for 30 days and then return it if it does not meet your needs.

With kind regards,

Michel

So am I!

I would've assumed it's lumen or lux but there are no other indications from which we can deduce what it is.

With kind regards,

Michel

if it was lux you should get a reading of approx one lux or so on a clear night with a full moon.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

From a post I saw earlier it looks like I can do things as the following (excuse syntax):

If Module.Weather.HighTemp>100 then ...

If Module.Weather.CurrentTemp >30 and <50 then ...

Is this correct? I also saw that I had a 30 period I could return it if not able to meet my wants.

Thanks in advance.

Archived