Whats Up with New Insteon Motion Sensor II

apostolakisl

It's also common for companies with agreements like the above to have NDAs in place that prevent talking about the other parties plans, products and sometimes even the fact that there are any agreements in place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would do what DonB did.  Pick up an Insteon hub, they can be had for pretty cheap on ebay and just use it to configure the device.  Who knows, you might find other uses for the hub.  

You can get a hub and two dimmers for under $40 on Amazon! $20 per dimmer and a free hub! I've done it twice, the first one I used, the second one is still in the box.

https://www.amazon.com/INSTEON-Control-Starter-Dimmer-Modules/dp/B01695JNHK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1501718011&sr=8-3&keywords=insteon+hub

Can any of you who was able to add the 2842-222 to the ISY describe the process? I tried a few times the way I would normally add a sensor, but could never get it to change state from OFF either...

I push the set button on the sensor, then add it using the Insteon ID and AutoDiscover. Then push the set button once more and all show up (all three) in the ISY but it just doesn't change state.

Thank you!

I push the set button on the sensor, then add it using the Insteon ID and AutoDiscover.

OK, I know what that means.

Then push the set button once more and all show up (all three) in the ISY but it just doesn't change state.

I'm not sure what this sentence means.

I'm not sure what this sentence means.

Presumably he means that he hit the set button again to take it out of linking mode (you actually have to hit it twice to exit), and further pushes of the set button don't toggle the responder or change the state. At least that's how I interpret it based on how the old motion sensors work.

Yes and No. It is not uncommon for two companies making complimentary products to have agreements. Provided the products are complimentary and it doesn't involve monopolistic or otherwise illegal behavior one may give the other access to information and resources in return for specified things from the other.

Many times, even if there is agreement, it's usually between higher levels than customer support. Cst generally doesn't know inside information outside of what is needed to do their job such as possible technical support

I asked about the older one I use them out side even though not made for it but lasted several years. The new one look like junk and will not work a day outside. I call insteon and the have no plans to come up with a solution

So now I have to find a motion sensor for outside that will work with my issue

Other wise back to a stander outside light with a standard motion sensor that only controls on light

Total bs

I asked about the older one I use them out side even though not made for it but lasted several years. The new one look like junk and will not work a day outside. I call insteon and the have no plans to come up with a solution

Other wise back to a stander outside light with a standard motion sensor that only controls on light

Total bs

I got like three new ones (v1) in a bin Ill sell ya

Total bs

The original motion sensor (2842-222) was designed for exterior use, so it's no surprise that yours lasted for several years. Mine have been installed outdoors even longer and are still working well. And, in fact, the new motion sensor (2844-222) is also meant for outdoor use. Describe your installation that lasted for only a few days.

Too bad the old MS is battery-powered only. Dual-band coins have twice the value. Perhaps an external power supply will up the worthiness B)

Too bad the old MS is battery-powered only. Dual-band coins have twice the value. Perhaps an external power supply will up the worthiness B)

You can use always use a 9v battery eliminator with the old MS.  https://www.amazon.com/UpBright%C2%AE-Eliminator-100-240VAC-Universal-DURACELL/dp/B00FGG3GKE

I wonder if the new MS eliminates the all on problem that was partially blamed on the old MS?

You can use always use a 9v battery eliminator with the old MS.  https://www.amazon.com/UpBright%C2%AE-Eliminator-100-240VAC-Universal-DURACELL/dp/B00FGG3GKE

I wonder if the new MS eliminates the all on problem that was partially blamed on the old MS?

Thanks. I've been looking for a series of parts to make these up cheper but by the time you get all the xtensions and adapters the price gets high.

This unit apears to be  wired for a 9v charger, to for charging a  9v battery and is the wrong polarity to use as a battery substitution. This is noted in several of the review feedback posts. I found this in my reserach before that the sellers just dont understand there is a polarity difference between a charger and battery substitution supply.

Isn't that what I said?

Actually all but one of my motion sensors are externally powered, both new and old.

Thanks. I've been looking for a series of parts to make these up cheper but by the time you get all the xtensions and adapters the price gets high.

This unit apears to be  wired for a 9v charger, to for charging a  9v battery and is the wrong polarity to use as a battery substitution. This is noted in several of the review feedback posts. I found this in my reserach before that the sellers just dont understand there is a polarity difference between a charger and battery substitution supply

Check out this store  http://www.allelectronics.com

They have a lot of hard to find goodies at reasonable prices. I've shopped there for years.

Check out this store  http://www.allelectronics.com

They have a lot of hard to find goodies at reasonable prices. I've shopped there for years.

Thanks, but not for Canada. I ran a test case and their 9v adapter for $3.95 suddenly becomes $9.95 with a total, inlcuding shipping

of $25.75

I found in making up plug together cords, the barrel  connector to 9v battery clip adapter was always wired backwards and stated for charging 9v batteries not battery eleimination.  IIRC I never did find one that offerred the correct polarity. I concluded I would have to make up all my own cords.

Project stalled so far, but I bought stock in a battery company, instead. :)

Most of my 9VDC battery eliminators use a power supply and battery clip because SH stopped selling the eliminators, but I didn't stop buying sensors. BTW, I bought a bunch of the clips on eBay.

Just saw the new motion sensor on the Smarthome website and was going to get one.  But after coming here I think I will wait. 

Not sure my original MS is working.  I use it outside on my driveway (it's pretty long) to detect motion and turn on some spotlights as I approach the house.  The spotlights also have a motion sensor.  It extends the range of them that way.  Even thought it is rated for outside I do tend to have ants in it when I replace the battery.  Learned that the hard way the first time I opened inside my house to change the battery.  :o

I guess I'll wait to know my ISY994 is ready for it. 

Just saw the new motion sensor on the Smarthome website and was going to get one.  But after coming here I think I will wait. 

Not sure my original MS is working.  I use it outside on my driveway (it's pretty long) to detect motion and turn on some spotlights as I approach the house.  The spotlights also have a motion sensor.  It extends the range of them that way.  Even thought it is rated for outside I do tend to have ants in it when I replace the battery.  Learned that the hard way the first time I opened inside my house to change the battery.  :o

I guess I'll wait to know my ISY994 is ready for it. 

Stick a tiny piece of garlic inside.

• 4 months later...

Archived