Open and Close No Longer Working?

roblombardo

Sometime in the last week or two, Alexa has lost the ability to control the garage door with an open or close command. These worked flawlessly prior, and she is still able to control the garage door via either the on or off command. Anyone notice this change in behavior recently? Not sure where to go with this, kind of dumb to have to say "turn on the garage door"...

I just noticed this today too.  I told it to "close the garage door," which is linked to a program.  Program only responds to the Else (turn off, close) if the door is open (doesn't allow open/on).   It now only responds "garage door doesn't support that."

Used to work just fine like that.  What changed?  Did the ISY skill get updated (part of that release recently to get ready for the V3 smart home support)?   Did this "close program" == "turn off program" get removed?

Like you, I think "turn off garage door" is pretty counterintuitive (e.g., sounds really dumb).  But I don't see an alternative way to implement it.

-Alan

Like you webminster, I use program unique to the echo interface, that contains conditions. I also use a program to reset the I/O module to off even though I have it configured locally as momentary. I've found that while the contacts do change state, that change of state does is not announced on the insteon network. By commanding the I/O module off after a time delay, I ensure that that the ISY is aware of the true state. So, lets see what happens with this...

I just noticed this today too.  I told it to "close the garage door," which is linked to a program.  Program only responds to the Else (turn off, close) if the door is open (doesn't allow open/on).   It now only responds "garage door doesn't support that."

Used to work just fine like that.  What changed?  Did the ISY skill get updated (part of that release recently to get ready for the V3 smart home support)?   Did this "close program" == "turn off program" get removed?

Like you, I think "turn off garage door" is pretty counterintuitive (e.g., sounds really dumb).  But I don't see an alternative way to implement it.

-Alan

Open garage door worked for me from about mid-July until last week. Rather than going back to "Turn on (or off) garage door", I'll have to go back to using an IFTTT applet. "Trigger open (or close) garage door" isn't as good but it is an improvement.

Then I don't understand how my (and others) no longer work, and just respond "garage door doesn't support that."  I know I have made no changes on the ISY, the portal, or on the Alexa side.  Something had to have changed, and outside of my view.

I can run the Else on the program from the portal, works fine still.  Don't know your implementation, my "garage door" spoken is on a program that mostly triggers an i/o linc, standard stuff.  But now, Alexa doesn't think the program is a valid target for a "close."

So not sure how yours works and ours no longer does.

I got a support response back from Michel K, he tells me that "open" and "close" are now reserved and restricted by Amazon for door locks.  Not sure why stus' would work then, or why anyone would say "close the door" to lock it...

You're correct, neither open nor close works for locks. "Lock" works, for security "unlock" doesn't. So, no "open" and "close" are not reserved. Both work dependably for us, but only for the garage door programs. I have absolutely no idea why open and close work for our garages, but not for any other program. Here's the program for my garage (my wife's program is identical except for Mini Remote button 2, Garage 2 and KPL button F) :

If

Control 'CR / Devices / CRM-B Driveway Gate / CRM-C Garage1' is switched On   <--Mini Remote

Or Control 'DR / Devices / DR Side Door Light / DR Side Door E Garage Door 1' is switched On   <---KPL

Then

Set 'GG / Garage1 Control / GG1 ZW028 Binary Switch' On  <--This is a MIMOlite I/O device

Wait  2 seconds

Set 'GG / Garage1 Control / GG1 ZW028 Binary Switch' Off

Else

Set 'GG / Garage1 Control / GG1 ZW028 Binary Switch' On

Wait  2 seconds

Set 'GG / Garage1 Control / GG1 ZW028 Binary Switch' Off

Note that Then and Else are identical. I could use any of Open, Close, On or Off because GDOs don't distinguish between commands, they're simply toggles like KPL secondary buttons. I could (and may) create separate programs for opening and closing the garage doors by using the state of the sensor.

I got a support response back from Michel K, he tells me that "open" and "close" are now reserved and restricted by Amazon for door locks.  Not sure why stus' would work then, or why anyone would say "close the door" to lock it...

As for them being reserved words, that also has been inconsistent with my experience. 

Early this year, without me making any program changes, Echo began allowing me to say "open" and "close" garage door. For many months, it worked that way. Then just as suddenly, about a week or so ago, Echo started saying that device does not support that.

So if the point is to reserve those words due to some concern about lock security, why the intermittent periods of responding to those words?

So the information is inconsistent, Michel saying they're now reserved in Amazon's V3 changes, stusviews saying not.  I do see the same as DaveStLou, they worked fine, then suddenly, not.

My program is essentially the same, except I don't populate the Then path, only the Else.  But as I understood, a program to the SH integration is a program - should be no difference in what it does or to what devices.

So still at a loss why it works for some now and not others, unless Amazon is doing a staged rollout of new stuff that's only affecting some people yet.

So the information is inconsistent, Michel saying they're now reserved in Amazon's V3 changes, stusviews saying not. I do see the same as DaveStLou, they worked fine, then suddenly, not.

My program is essentially the same, except I don't populate the Then path, only the Else. But as I understood, a program to the SH integration is a program - should be no difference in what it does or to what devices.

So still at a loss why it works for some now and not others, unless Amazon is doing a staged rollout of new stuff that's only affecting some people yet.

I would ask everyone to check what firmware is now loaded on their echo and smart phone as a starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some Echos & Dots: 588442920

Other Echos & Dots: 588443520

All Echos & Dots: Client Version 1.24.2573.0

The account where I'm using open and close includes both 2920 & 3520.

New: open and close seems to work with devices and scenes, so they can't be reserved words.

For fun I deleted the program from the ISY portal Echo device list, and forgot it from Alexa.   Added the program back in the portal and Alexa as "garage door".   Same behavior for "close," "garage door doesn't support that."

Spent a while trying different utterances as well... nothing worked.  Got everything from "having trouble understanding you" to "doesn't support that."

EDIT: PS.  But, "close all kitchen lights", also a program, returns "OK."   Fascinating.

I would ask everyone to check what firmware is now loaded on their echo and smart phone as a starter.

Echo, Dot and Tap are version 588442920

FireTV stick is version 573210720

Dash doesn't display a software versions

Alexa app is client version 1.24.2573.0/Bridge Version 2.1.297.0

Reverb app is version 1.2.0

For fun I deleted the program from the ISY portal Echo device list, and forgot it from Alexa.   Added the program back in the portal and Alexa as "garage door".   Same behavior for "close," "garage door doesn't support that."

Spent a while trying different utterances as well... nothing worked.  Got everything from "having trouble understanding you" to "doesn't support that."

EDIT: PS.  But, "close all kitchen lights", also a program, returns "OK."   Fascinating.

More fun and mystery. In the portal I changed the spoken word for my garage door program to "Laundry Lights" - changed nothing else.

I asked Alexa to open and close Laundry Lights and surprise, it worked. It appears the spoken word is the complication, not the reserved action word "open".

More fun and mystery. In the portal I changed the spoken word for my garage door program to "Laundry Lights" - changed nothing else.

I asked Alexa to open and close Laundry Lights and surprise, it worked. It appears the spoken word is the complication, not the reserved action word "open".

I changed the spoken word to "garage" and that is not supported either. I can however open my kitchen lights just fine, and turn on my garage door. Ugggh...

Why not? Will using those terms cause a conundrum? Those terms, when they work, do so consistently.

BTW, the only programs that respond correctly have garage (individual doors) or garages (both door) as a spoken.

BTW, the only programs that respond correctly have garage (individual doors) or garages (both door) as a spoken.

For some of us, this isn't true (point of the thread).  "close" doesn't work for us anymore on a garage door program.  And programs that control lights /do/ work.   Hence the confusion.

I'm /assuming/ Michel's statement is biased more toward "it's unreliable,"  versus "your house will explode..."  I hope.

Archived