ISY and Insteon Hub Pro (Homekit) question [ISY keeps resetting Hub Pro?]

Hello,

I already have many devices on an ISY 994i/IR Pro running v4.6.2 with 2477S and 2477D Switchlincs, 2457D2 Lamplincs, a 2441TH thermostat, 2450 Garage IOLincs (can't use in homekit), 2852-222 Leak Sensors (can't use in homekit), 2844-222 Motion Detectors (can't use in homekit) and an IRLinc.

I saw the thread where it looks like there won't be a homekit version of the ISY, so I'm experimenting with adding an Insteon Hub Pro 2243-222 and then using that with Homekit with iOS 11.0 devices along with my Philips Hue.

This is actually working out OK, but I'm noticing one problem, which I now think explains all the problems I was having with using the Insteon Hub 2245-222 prior to removing it.

To make sure I was starting with a clean system, I removed all devices from the Insteon Hub 2245-222 (had to force remove, more on this later), then deleted the Insteon account, then deleted every device and scene from my ISY, then I did a factory default reset on each device. I then linked all my devices back into my ISY, Installed the Insteon Hub Pro into Homekit (FYI - DO NOT USE THE INSTEON+ app, this is per customer service, they admit that it's totally nonfunctional), and then I started adding my insteon devices by pressing the set button on the back of the Hub Pro and then the set button on each device (this, again is per customer service, don't use the Insteon+ app).

This is actually working well, however, I notice that as I forgot to make some links with some 3-way and 4-way switches, that when I would go back and do so in the ISY, it would bug out the Homekit app and lose control of those devices that I linked within ISY (as a scene with each device set to controller). Furthermore, I experimented with making a scene I like called "House" and I added every single device as a responder. ["Alexa, turn house on"... it's awesome!] Again, that bugged out the Homekit app and I lost control of every device. If I then go back and relink the Hub Pro with any device, I regain control.

This makes me think that each time I do something in ISY, it does something that breaks the Hub's ability to control it or access it. And, now I think this explains problems I was having with the regular Insteon Hub and app (never took the time to troubleshoot it... I just assumed it was crap, was experimenting hoping wife would use app). This will become a continued problem as I add new devices and create or update any other scenes in the future. I'll have to keep relinking the Hub Pro over and over again whenever I make any changes.

I'm thinking someone very smart here knows exactly what is causing this :) is there a way to tell the ISY to not do whatever it is doing.

Thanks!

Yes. Normal and expected. ISY looks after the full link table on devices.

If you link them to something else and then modify them in ISY - ISY will ‘break’ the third party connection because it sees changes it was not aware of.. Multiple controllers are not supported in Insteon, though some are doing this with some success. Just don’t modify them after linking to multiple devices.

OK. Got it.

Thankfully, the hub pro doesn't overwrite anything. So, I just have to be aware that any changes in the ISY have to be followed up by re-linking those devices on the hub.

I'll keep experimenting. I do like all that I can do very well with the ISY (programs), but then having devices in the Homekit; after 5 years, the very first time my wife actually sat down and spent more than 2 minutes with what I was showing her!

• 2 months later...

My comment seems to have not posted...

Have there been any developments or additional information with respect to HomeKit support for ISY?

Alexa integration is spotty at best and requires otherwise unnecessary MobiLinc annual subscription and presence in the same room as an Echo.  I purchased the service to link my Echo to the ISY and frequently have issues getting it to do what I want and can only use it in the one room where the device is.  I would find it much more beneficial to simply use the device (my iPhone) that goes everywhere with me and which understands me almost everytime.

Any information about research and development would be appreciated.

Archived