Recommendations for Motion Sensors

Mark Arzillo

Does your maid turn on/off the light manually? If so, write the motion program like normal and deactivate the program anytime she physically turns on the light. You can reactivate the program anytime the light is switched off.

Is that possible ?

i get it... Rice is your cooker's first name.

No.. Anh Đào is her first name.

She's been in country almost a year and acclimated quiet well. Before that I spent a lot of time in Saigon but finally got tired of the heat and humidity.

Now that she's taken to Alexa and Google Home she is very happy to stay here and visit Saigon twice a year.

In the meantime she's enjoying life in US and how well everything works all the time.

Not sure what's going on with this thread.  Maybe the OP wants to restate.

As I understand it (please let me know if I am off base), the question is, how to detect if the light was initially turned on by the motion sensor (MS).  If it was, turn the light off in 2 minutes.

How to do this?

1. When (if) the light is turned on by MS, set an integer variable to 1). This is "On by MS variable". Start the timer program for 2 mins. If "On by MS variable" is zero, the timer program does not start.

2. Use control MS On as a trigger, or create an MS On state variable changing from zero to 1, to detect when the MS turns on.

3.The timer program says that if status of the light is on and the motion sensor is off, and
"on by MS variable" is 1, then wait 2 mins then turn the light off. (Alternatively, set the wireless MS to "on only" and use a state variable and timer to track whether the MS triggered On n seconds ago).

4. Create a "manual off" program, whereby when the switch is manually turned off, then "On by MS variable" is reset to 0 (and the light is turned off).

5. Create a program that turns the light off every x minutes where "on by MS variable" = 0, just for those manual switchers that forget to turn the light off when they leave.

6,. I also tend to create "timer override" program that stop the timed off program if I turn the switch "On" when the light is already on.  I set an integer variable to 1 in that case, and It's handy way of stopping timer programs when you simply want the light to stay on indefinitely.  In that case, you also need a "manual off" program that resets that variable to zero when you manually turn off the light.

What am I missing?

Not sure what's going on with this thread. Maybe the OP wants to restate.

As I understand it (please let me know if I am off base), the question is, how to detect if the light was initially turned on by the motion sensor (MS). If it was, turn the light off in 2 minutes.

How to do this?

1. When (if) the light is turned on by MS, set an integer variable to 1). This is "On by MS variable". Start the timer program for 2 mins. If "On by MS variable" is zero, the timer program does not start.

2. Use control MS On as a trigger, or create an MS On state variable changing from zero to 1, to detect when the MS turns on.

3.The timer program says that if status of the light is on and the motion sensor is off, and

"on by MS variable" is 1, then wait 2 mins then turn the light off. (Alternatively, set the wireless MS to "on only" and use a state variable and timer to track whether the MS triggered On n seconds ago).

4. Create a "manual off" program, whereby when the switch is manually turned off, then "On by MS variable" is reset to 0 (and the light is turned off).

5. Create a program that turns the light off every x minutes where "on by MS variable" = 0, just for those manual switchers that forget to turn the light off when they leave.

6,. I also tend to create "timer override" program that stop the timed off program if I turn the switch "On" when the light is already on. I set an integer variable to 1 in that case, and It's handy way of stopping timer programs when you simply want the light to stay on indefinitely. In that case, you also need a "manual off" program that resets that variable to zero when you manually turn off the light.

What am I missing?

Technically, the OP was looking for motion sensor recommendations but it has morphed into a discussion on programming motion sensors.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Zippo. Waits are retriggerable in ISY.

If he keeps moving the Wait (in the Then section) starts over each time. Most disable the Off send from the MS so ISY can control it based on more decisions.

That would make sense then. I didn't know that. I was assuming that if motion turned on again a second timer would start and turn the lights off a second time. I just wrote a quick program to test that and sure enough the wait resets.  Nice!

Speculation can be fun and fills the topic with guesses, but usually doesn't solve the problem. So, once again asbril, what's the specific goal?

Archived