Decent front end / GUI for ISY? Any progress re Nest?

madcodger

madcodger,

We have been written off 100s of times over the past 12 years. And, one day, we may die. But, till then, we follow what we truly believe in: automation and autonomy. Although non-Java based GUI is one of them, alas it's not a high priority. Above and beyond saying "Yes, sir, we'll do whatever you say", I am not sure what else I could have said that would have been a satisfactory answer to your questions/suggestions.

With kind regards,

Michel

asbril,

I am in a similar situation rolling into my eighth decade with a spouse that has only limited automation abilities. There's no possibility that she will ever be able to add a device, create a scene or ever have anything to do with a program. Her concern is that nothing will work once I'm gone. I reassure her that everything will continue to function with the possible exception of replacing a failed device. I am fortunate enough to have two contacts, somewhat friends, who can be called to provide telephone assistance if needed, one person only 3-4 hours away who will make the trip (but not on a call and I'll be there friendship, but rather I'll get there within a day or week or month). I also have a friend who will show up if really needed and is capable of following instructions. His daughter (my god-daughter) is even more capable, but being at Cornell U, second semester only a few days away, presents other difficulties).

However, worst possible scenario is if/when a device fails and no one is available at all. In that case, a standard electric switch can be installed. All that's lost is the bells and whistles associated with that specific device (KPL, SwitchLinc). I'm a firm believer in retro-fit, that is, using the existing wiring to perform automation magic. In one and only one situation, I added wires, but even that can be circumvented by a knowledgeable electrician.

And I concur with others, you are an advanced home automation techie B)

I didn't know you could automate apouses, at all. Mine can certainly create a scene though.

• Alexa! Bring me a beer!   :)

"..... Mine can certainly create a scene though....."

So does mine but don't know yet how to switch it off.

asbril,

I am in a similar situation rolling into my eighth decade with a spouse that has only limited automation abilities. There's no possibility that she will ever be able to add a device, create a scene or ever have anything to do with a program. Her concern is that nothing will work once I'm gone. I reassure her that everything will continue to function with the possible exception of replacing a failed device. I am fortunate enough to have two contacts, somewhat friends, who can be called to provide telephone assistance if needed, one person only 3-4 hours away who will make the trip (but not on a call and I'll be there friendship, but rather I'll get there within a day or week or month). I also have a friend who will show up if really needed and is capable of following instructions. His daughter (my god-daughter) is even more capable, but being at Cornell U, second semester only a few days away, presents other difficulties).

However, worst possible scenario is if/when a device fails and no one is available at all. In that case, a standard electric switch can be installed. All that's lost is the bells and whistles associated with that specific device (KPL, SwitchLinc). I'm a firm believer in retro-fit, that is, using the existing wiring to perform automation magic. In one and only one situation, I added wires, but even that can be circumvented by a knowledgeable electrician.

And I concur with others, you are an advanced home automation techie B)

Thanks Stu 

You have a few years on me but we share our concerns. 

With regards to my home automation skills, I go by Einstein's  "Everything is relative".  :-P:idea:   I am a (misunderstood) home automation hero at home but there is way too much in this forum that goes way over my head. My 2018 goal is to understand the concept of variables, which may be very simple (once I get it ). 

Thanks Stu 

You have a few years on me but we share our concerns. 

With regards to my home automation skills, I go by Einstein's  "Everything is relative".  :-P:idea:   I am a (misunderstood) home automation hero at home but there is way too much in this forum that goes way over my head. My 2018 goal is to understand the concept of variables, which may be very simple (once I get it ). 

At the moment I an trying to better understand the portal and especially control of devices, programs and scenes using the Echo. Progress is slow but I am excited about what I can do. Next up, control of my Rachio. Finally, like you, I want to try to understand and use variables.

I love my two ISYs and I am very impressed thus far with Cao Tags.

The only substantial improvement that I would love to see us riddance of Java.

At the moment I an trying to better understand the portal and especially control of devices, programs and scenes using the Echo. Progress is slow but I am excited about what I can do. Next up, control of my Rachio. Finally, like you, I want to try to understand and use variables.

I love my two ISYs and I am very impressed thus far with Cao Tags.

The only substantial improvement that I would love to see us riddance of Java.

Not much use for Rachio here in my condo  :x but how do you integrate the tags into ISY ?

• 3 months later...

Does anyone else have trouble getting Windows 10 to recognize Java? i am unable to associate the .jnpl extension to Java, and therefore can't use the admin console standalone; have to use the legacy Firefox to get to the console. As more and more browsers prohibit java, this means that, without another front end, my ISY system will become unusable in a few years. Any comments? Thanks.

4 hours ago, rsknappmd said:

Does anyone else have trouble getting Windows 10 to recognize Java? i am unable to associate the .jnpl extension to Java, and therefore can't use the admin console standalone; have to use the legacy Firefox to get to the console. As more and more browsers prohibit java, this means that, without another front end, my ISY system will become unusable in a few years. Any comments? Thanks.

Welcome to the forums!

I believe the java you refer to is embedded into the browser and yes that is being discontinued, across the board. However java being used by any operating system is not related to the browser. Admin Console runs in that java system and does not require a browser.

Having said that, I have not been able to get the admin console to run under any java system  except Windows 7 and 10.

17 hours ago, rsknappmd said:

If you've installed java on your pc, java will "take ownership" of the jnlp file extension when java applets are run. If that's not happening, something is wrong with installation of java on your PC. I would uninstall, then reinstall the latest java version

I've run the ac on Win 7-10, I've not used a browser to start the admin console.

Paul

Archived