Trigger Smoke Alarms

ewind

I read all of the smoke alarm and smoke bridge threads my brain can handle and I understand smoke bridge's ability to receive RF from RF capable smoke detector. I am still left wondering if it is possible to trigger the First Alert interconnected smoke alarms via ISY and other Insteon device using either the interconnect wire or a single wireless capable detector interconnected with the rest?

The smoke bridge is specifically for First Alert smoke detectors labeled "Onelink". It doesn't work with anything else. Its also "one way" messages only from the First Alert to the Smokebridge: First Alert Onelink -> Insteon -> ISY. The Smokebridge does not transmit user messages to the Onelink (only internal setup & acknowledgement messages), it cannot set them off

Onelinks are not wifi or TCP/IP based, so network resources would not help.

Paul

I read all of the smoke alarm and smoke bridge threads my brain can handle and I understand smoke bridge's ability to receive RF from RF capable smoke detector. I am still left wondering if it is possible to trigger the First Alert interconnected smoke alarms via ISY and other Insteon device using either the interconnect wire or a single wireless capable detector interconnected with the rest?

May I ask what is the reason wanting to *Trigger* the First Alert One Link system?? 

@paulbates I should have provided the detail that I have all first alert interlinked smoke and co alarms throughout my property. I plan to introduce 2 First Alert onelink detectors to send signals to smoke bridge. @teken my goal is to be able to trigger the smoke alarms and use them as an audible deterrent when away.

I have a Smoke Bridge, and the only programmatic options I see are "Query", "Beep" and "Write Changes" to the Smoke Bridge itself (on any of the nodes).  The OneLink detector that the Smoke Bridge listens to isn't visible to the ISY.

I have all Kidde interconnected smoke detectors except for one OneLink detector that I use connect to the Smoke Bridge.  Any test or alarm on one of the Kidde detectors reaches the Smoke Bridge, which to me indicates that there is some sort of signalling over the wires that you might be able to take advantage of.  Maybe an IOLinc inline somewhere?  I absolutely have no idea...  :?

Were it me, I'd leave the fire system alone and install an Insteon Siren or a Z-Wave Aeotec Siren that I could actuate easily from the ISY.

@bumbershoot yes I understand the smokebridge will not send or trigger onelink, I am looking for an alternative method. I'd prefer to use the smoke alarm system already in place for the audible effect if its possible rather than buying more devices to manage.

2 hours ago, ewind said:

@teken my goal is to be able to trigger the smoke alarms and use them as an audible deterrent when away.

That would be illegal and against fire code to use the smoke alarms other than for its intended purpose. As the other member indicated its best to use a third party siren or Insteon version. 

Archived