NodeServer in ISY Portal

danny07

Hi,

I'm new to the ISY Portal and Network Resources and I've been playing around with these for these last few days (Alexa, communicating with other devices through the web, etc.). I also really like the idea of the NodeServers, so that I can integrate other devices (such as LIFX) without having to troubleshoot each device's API on my own.

The only downside for me of the NodeServers is that it needs secondary device, a Raspberry Pi, which I don't have (and would prefer not to have at this point). Is this a requirement or can the ISY Portal (or any other solution) be used as the device to run and host these NodeServers?

Thanks!

Currently just the Occupancy node server. This is still a work-in-progress.

However, there are several ways to run nodeservers on your local network to add support to your ISY for devices without the need for an RPi. Checkout Nodelink - I believe it can be run on a number of platforms. I believe Polyglot also supports any platform with the required dependencies, and has pre-compiled binaries for a number of OSes. An RPi is an inexpensive investment, and once setup is very reliable. You can also run Polyglot and Nodelink side-by-side on a $35 RPi to get the broadest third-party device support.

Thanks Goose66!

I saw that NodeLink can we run on several OS but, if I'm reading it correctly, Polyglot can only run on the RPi.

Most of the NodeServers that I'm interested in are on Polyglot so I guess I might have to start researching RPi and consider getting one.

36 minutes ago, danny07 said:

Thanks Goose66!

I saw that NodeLink can we run on several OS but, if I'm reading it correctly, Polyglot can only run on the RPi.

Most of the NodeServers that I'm interested in are on Polyglot so I guess I might have to start researching RPi and consider getting one.

Polyglot can be run on Linux machines with both ARM processors (RPi machines) and Intel processors, as well as on macOS machines with Intel processors.  I ran Polyglot on a macOS machine prior to purchasing an RPi.  I'm sure that with the source code, it could be compiled/coaxed to run on a Windows machine as well.

Here are the precompiled binaries

1 hour ago, danny07 said:

Thanks Goose66!

You can get a CanaKit bundle with free next-day shipping with Amazon Prime for $50. Comes with an RPi3, case, and a good power supply (other bundles may come with an inadequate PS, so be careful). If this kind of stuff is your primary use, I would skip NOOBS and GUI Desktop install and instead just download a Raspbian Stretch Lite image from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/, burn it to your micro-SD card, and use a SSH terminal program (like Remote Terminal from the Windows 10 App Store)  to configure and install the Polyglot components. The RPi install is 35 minutes, and the Polyglot install is another 30 minutes and is pretty well documented in these forums.

Hi Bumbershoot, Goose66,

Thank you very much for the information . I wanted to maybe test it out first on a Windows computer to learn a little more about the system before doing anything else, but I'm now thinking I should just bite the bullet and get an RPi. It's a little more involved than what I wanted, but it looks like it will be my best option in the long run.

I still wish they offered a Polyglot server as part of the ISY Portal service :) 

I think there are more nodeservers coming for the Portal - maybe even a Polyglot framework for Portal-based nodeservers. However, that really only makes sense for nodeservers that connect to cloud-based services (such as MyQ garage door openers), and I worry about what these cloud-based service providers are going to think about 100s of requests a minute coming from the same IP address.

For local devices, having the nodeservers running locally on the LAN is going to offer better performance, and it also would ultimately be better for cloud-based services, IMO, because it spreads the network load out somewhat.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 11:57 AM, danny07 said:

Hi Bmercier,

Thanks for the response! Do you know if there a list of NodeServers developed or available to run on the ISY Portal?

Hi danny07,

As Goose66 suggested, we are working on both: more node servers in the ISY Portal + a Node Server framework for developers in the ISY Portal. And, I totally agree with Goose66: ISY Portal Node servers will only be used for services/things that require cloud connectivity. It makes NO sense to move local things into the cloud.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Goose66, Michel,

I agree that this would only make sense when cloud connectivity is required but, just to make sure I understand, would things like LIFX or Netatmo (where it's a local device but I believe you have to authenticate via a cloud service) be considered a thing that requires cloud connectivity or local?

Thanks again for all the responses and support!

Archived